Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deadnail

FAKK 2 Final Thoughts

God I hate modems. I completely retype that original post I did and I kept getting Content=0 everytime I posted right until Explorer had enough of my hijinks and crashed. God damn it. Maybe I oughta try BeOS.

Anyway, I've beat the game now. The first boss is about as difficult as the final boss. Everything in between just needs a little bit of practice to figure out the trick. The last boss doesn't trap you and perform instant kills, it just inficts hellacious damage and summons irriating enemies all over the place. Plus, it's impossible to beat until you figure out the tricks... make good use of F6.

Also, just like Heretic 2 when the game JUST STARTS to get good it ends.

How the F--K can they call this Heavy Metal when it ends suddenly and dumps you back at the title screen with BLARING Hip Hop music?!?!?!?!?!

Don't get me wrong, it's a good game.

It just SHOULD NOT be called Heavy Metal, that's all, since there ISN'T ANY heavy metal music in the whole game! Just basic distorted guitar over triphop until the end, when the DJ busts a groove that makes me want to vomit.

Oh well. I should've known that SOMEONE would have to ruin the classic.

Good game.
Just call it FAKK2 because it does NOT deserve the moniker 'Heavy Metal'.
That's all.

It´s too early for me to speak about final thoughts, because I´m just at the very beginning (Town Center). But with a few exeptions I really enjoy it. Between: How do you like the chainsaw sword? I think something like that would be also great in Doom III.
What I don´t like about it is the aprubt change of realism concerning beasts attacking you. In the beginning it was very well made: Sudenly the flys attacked, the friendly charakters arround started panic and run away, leaving Julie alone. But later, the friendly charakters just didn´t recognice the flys and beasts and they also didn´t care for them and only attacked Julie, that was very stupid and unrealistic. Also the neverending spawning of the beasts didn´t alow me to take a look at the beatiful environment, I hate things like that.
But still a very nice game at all.

Sword: Sucks... FIND SOMETHING BETTER!
Firesword: You'll use this most of all swords, get used to it
Lightningsword: Towards the end, VERY powerful
Chainsawsword: A little underpowered but very handy
Bigassax: Too slow to be of any real use
XXXSword: Extremely powerful! Get from & use on last boss

Sling: Nail a sheep with it, and later on a switch
Bigsling: Hit an enemy with it 486 times and it might die
Explosivesling: Hit an enemy with it 243 times and it might die
Smallshield: Use a weapon instead
Bigshield: Use a weapon instead, please! The magnum, anything!

Crossbow: First distance weapon, fairly strong
Uzi: VERY handy, always keep one in your left hand!
Doubleuzis: The best method of crowd control, period
Magnum: First gun, exceptionally loud, better than crossbow

Detonator: Place on green rocks, otherwise basically useless
Rocket Launcher: Hit an enemy with it 20 times and it might die (WTF?)

Shotgun: Extremely handy! Careful with the grenades
Minigun: Maybe the strongest weapon in the game
Flamethrower: Quite handy, but difficult to use
Soulsucker: Important weapon, basically eats ass
Waspconch: Forget you have it; PATHETIC; A JOKE; DON'T BOTHER!

Armor: Wrist, Knee, Shoulder, get them all for better defense + damage too

Oh yeah, and careful with the detonators. If a civvie is within twenty feet of it they tend to gib and you have to restart the level!

When the big and ugly suckers come into play that Julie says she needs to find other ways to kill them... there is ALWAYS a trick to get them out of your hair, you just have to find it.

In the first jungle level... the wind is important.

For the rest of the game... pretty self-explanitory.

For the last boss... if you can't figure it out, try EVERY weapon at every time. And when he's dead but doesn't die... aim higher. :)

I've said too much. Well, I figured it all out in around ten minutes so it's not really that difficult.

The game took me about 8 hours total. A replay should be a helluva lot quicker.

Have fun.

@ Galahad Wizar: Who says Doom 3 will have any similarities with a 3rd-person-action-adventure like Fakk2? And don´t say it´s bad if you have nothing special to argue with.

Well, FAKK2 has what, 5 swords? Naturally the basic one would suck compared to the other 4!

As for a sword in Doom 3, unless you pick it up from a severely rotted knight in hell from 1400AD it doesn't belong there. I'd sooner have a rusty and bloodstained length of pipe. :)

And why not a sword-like combat chainsaw? A mix between the one Fakk2 has and a toolish chainsaw attached to your arm, like in this horror fun movie, what is it called in english? "Evil Dead"? (In german it was called "Armee der Finsternis").

--please scan the side-by-side pump action drawings--

Well why not, there's no need for an actual chainsaw there anyways. Don't tell me the rant about how it has a diamond tipped blade and cuts steel, that would be inprecise and clumsy compared even to today's steel cutting standards!

As for meaningless weapon drawings and scans, I'll do them tonight at work and maybe scan them tommorrow. Don't worry, they'll get done... eventually.

Why the hell would there be a chainsaw on a distant moon base in orbit around mars, that doesn't even have trees on it!

They are defiantly not going to keep them around the base for any conflict because they're not expecting any melee-level combat. Not to mention that chainsaws are bulky and slow. While your killing some soldier, his buddy is blowing your chest out with his handy dandy semi-auto double-shotgun.

There definatly needs to be a high-tech weapon that will do damage like the chainsaw did, but is more suited for the combat. Something you would actually expect a soldier to carry (just like soldiers carry knives nowadays).

A lightning gun would be cool. Very limited range (like 10 feet), very small (half shotgun size), uses a self-charging power cell (hmmm... maybe slowly recharges energy cells?), does damage quickly.

deadnail said:

Well why not, there's no need for an actual chainsaw there anyways. Don't tell me the rant about how it has a diamond tipped blade and cuts steel, that would be inprecise and clumsy compared even to today's steel cutting standards!

As for meaningless weapon drawings and scans, I'll do them tonight at work and maybe scan them tommorrow. Don't worry, they'll get done... eventually.

Well I never talked about diamond tipped blade etc. Why cutting steel? A normal chainsaw is powerfull enough. No need for a chainsaw in Doom III ? I think many people will start to cry when a chainsaw would be missing :)

-Come on, the weapon drawings and scans aren´t meaningless!

sirgalahadwizar said:

Why the hell would there be a chainsaw on a distant moon base in orbit around mars, that doesn't even have trees on it!

They are defiantly not going to keep them around the base for any conflict because they're not expecting any melee-level combat. Not to mention that chainsaws are bulky and slow. While your killing some soldier, his buddy is blowing your chest out with his handy dandy semi-auto double-shotgun.

There definatly needs to be a high-tech weapon that will do damage like the chainsaw did, but is more suited for the combat. Something you would actually expect a soldier to carry (just like soldiers carry knives nowadays).

A lightning gun would be cool. Very limited range (like 10 feet), very small (half shotgun size), uses a self-charging power cell (hmmm... maybe slowly recharges energy cells?), does damage quickly.

Well, Sir Galahad Wizar, there is a chainsaw on a distant moon base because the UAC employes have to saw sometimes old crates into little handy peaces...But the main thing is: I really hope that Doom III won´t take all of the time in an space environment (one or two episodes in a space ship and/or space station would be very nice, but not the whole game!), that would be boring!

I gotcha there. Sorta like glorified letter-openers huh?
I can see why they are so rare now.

But I did have the impression that wooden crates would be recycled dontya think?

There should be a chainsaw, but it should be a minor weapon that is rarely found (ie, one in a cast of 20 weapons that are just there to keep the environment going, shouldn't be a weapon that you could use the entire game - like the shotgun which is used most of the game).

I still say there should be a vibro blade or some other standard-issue melee weapon that really turns guys into crap(chainsaw is not standard issue, but is effective anyways).
Quake had a melee weapon - the axe, and it seemed to me like a military standard-issue weapon (telescoping axe handle, razor-sharp blade, etc).
Quake 2's standard-issue wasn't a melee weapon, and Q3's is just a weird chainsaw (not standard issue either, it didn't look very functional at all, other than a circular saw for cutting wood:)