Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lengis

I Want GOOD Weapon Names NOT STUPIED NAMES!

I'm sick of stupied weapon names like, Plasma gun ,Flak Cannon, or Pulse Rifle. Is a M-16 called the "Bullet gun"? NO! Why cant we have kewl names like the Stingray Ls-5, or the Cyber Malek SQ-7? These are KEWL names!

Some stupied person could say, (In retard voice) "Duhh... Well how r people supposed to know what weapon matches with those wierd names??? (Retard guy starts to drool while talking). Well Perfect Dark had kewl names that had little to do with how the weapon works and people made due fine. Believe me people will quickly match up the names with the weapons.

Because they don't mean anything to us. A name is just a name. Most of the weapons found in DOOM were very simple and easy to relate to. Everyone knows what a chainsaw is! A pistol, a shotgun, a rocket launcher, even a chaingun sounds like something believable!

This is why I'm bored to sleep by games like Unreal Tournament. None of the weapons make any sense, nor are they fun to use. Weapons that are weird claw-like things that open up and shoot the blue bouncing air-hockey type things.. Weapons with fire and alternate-fire... Throw a few random letters and numbers in there, and they don't mean anything. The more familiar weapon names are more fun to use, definitely. Much more fun than listening to a strange name followed by a short product number..

no their not, the simple name makes the whole weapon simple. To me it adds to the immesive feeling.

AndrewB said:

Because they don't mean anything to us. A name is just a name. Most of the weapons found in DOOM were very simple and easy to relate to. Everyone knows what a chainsaw is! A pistol, a shotgun, a rocket launcher, even a chaingun sounds like something believable!

This is why I'm bored to sleep by games like Unreal Tournament. None of the weapons make any sense, nor are they fun to use. Weapons that are weird claw-like things that open up and shoot the blue bouncing air-hockey type things.. Weapons with fire and alternate-fire... Throw a few random letters and numbers in there, and they don't mean anything. The more familiar weapon names are more fun to use, definitely. Much more fun than listening to a strange name followed by a short product number..

>>>This is why I'm bored to sleep by games like Unreal Tournament. None of the weapons make any sense, nor are they fun to use. Weapons that are weird claw-like things that open up and shoot the blue bouncing air-hockey type things.. Weapons with fire and alternate-fire...

BTW, I never talked about how they work, just their names. Dont make up your own topic.

Nuh-uh.. It's quite on-topic, actually. I am bored to death by weapons that are completely unfamiliar an alied to me. That includes their names. Which I why I think names like Tyker-Denominator 2350 and Afroid-Delta 208U are just so boring and pointless. Not "kewl" at all... Give me a weapon I can really feel excited that I'm carrying!

You can have good names like "M-427 Skyshroud" or "PT-28 Lightning Shark"
(im not sure those are good names anywayz).

But when you see the gun and it looks really weird and it shoots something really weird, you will eventually want to know:
"what does it do exactly?"

It's just like the issue with me and "blasters". They had em' in starwars but I never understood what actually shot out of the barrel.
It's not lasers becuz they travel in a continious beam, must be low-powered plasma bolts... (WTF?)

It's just like the BFG, don't exactly know what it shoots, looks like plasma but that doesn't explain the "splash" effect it has.

So you think it is "kewl" to have every time an abbreviation in the name like "M-16" and "Ls-5"? That´s ridiculous! Pulse Rifle and Flak Cannon are great names in my opinion, just pure and simple and related to the characteristics of the weapon. I don´t want artificial kewl names...
Ok, "Cyber Malek SQ-7" sounds good, begin to start liking it.

Just Examples. Cool names:
-Perforator (Quake 1 nailgun)
-Thunderbolt (Quake 1 lighning gun)
-Railgun
-Cyber Malek SQ-7
-Flak Cannon (because "Flak" means in german "Flugabwehr-Kanone")

Stoooopid names:
-H&K 560-M
-S.P.A.S.T. 432-X
-Hand of Evil 666
-Lightning Gun
-K-F33 PP XXL
-BFG 20 000

Soldier of Fortune proves it. It has everything. The weapon name and model ##, but in game it's referred to much more simply.

The Black Panter 9mm Pistol is referred to in-game as the 9mm Pistol. The Black Talon .44 Magnum Pistol is referred to as the .44 Pistol. The B-42 Berserker Combat shotgun is simply referred to as the 'shotgun'.

Take the example of Doom. With a handy little in-game description that you can read in the help section, you'd know that the pump-action shotgun would be, oh, let's say a...

Benelli M-3A
Year: 1984
Manufacturer: USA Shotgun Co., Dicksnort IN :)
Type: Pump-action or recoil operated semi-auto 12 gauge shotgun
"This gun blah blah blah..."

But while playing it simply states. "You got the shotgun!"

There! Both!

Ya happy?!

SoF did it. The Serious Sam test did it. Doom 3 should as well.

THERE. BOTH. NOT ONE OR THE OTHER. BOTH. :)

Put down the torches, guys, damn!

The 'pistol'? Beretta 92F with custom sights.
The 'shotgun'? Maussberg... um, some number. :)
The 'super shotgun'? Fox & Browning side-by-side birdgun. (My guess.)
The 'chaingun'? GE Minigun.
The 'grenade launcher'? M-79 or H&K M-69
The 'plasma rifle'? UAC P-4
The 'BFG 140K'? UAC BFG-140

Damn. It can have both. Relax.

Personally, I'd prefer it to have both, even if they just made up the model number and manufacturer. Simply stating 'Flak Cannon' is gay, it needs some detail behind it if you find yourself looking.

sirgalahadwizar said:

It's just like the issue with me and "blasters". They had em' in starwars but I never understood what actually shot out of the barrel.It's not lasers becuz they travel in a continious beam, must be

The blasters in Star Wars apparentely used "Blaster gas" which is some sort of gas that holds its shape and can be heated to an incredible tempurature and then shot out. As for lasers.. you can't even see the beam without some sort of power/smoke in the air for the light to reflect off of.

Lengis said:

Yea, ok a compromise between the two is kewl. But still hate names like "shrink gun".

You referring to the Shrinker in Duke3D? Well, it shrunk things. What should it have been called, the de-bigulator?

deadnail said:

Ok, both, so everyone can be happy.

It seems that Americans have a weird fascination for abbreviations and numbers.

WTF?
U EVR SK8 2 L7 & GRZ?

Heheh. God I hate those little 10 year old "Supah 733T MF" hacker wannabes that can't even install Windows without calling tech help fourteen times. Hacker has been so bastardized that word no longer holds any meaning for me.

As for GRZ, they suck. Good concept, poor execution.
As for L7, they kinda suck too. L7... isn't lesbian a 7 letter word? Hmm...

As for Americans and abbreviations... well, we don't have a moment to spare around here! 8)

deadnail said:

You referring to the Shrinker in Duke3D? Well, it shrunk things. What should it have been called, the de-bigulator?

"But... that's ridiculous! We can't just make a RE-bigulator!"

Ah, so someone else around here watches the Simpsons. I was wondering if anyone would get that, what with all the foreign kiddies around... heheh.

Lengis said:

no their not, the simple name makes the whole weapon simple. To me it adds to the immesive feeling.

Doom was Doom because of the goddamn weapons.
Do I need to say more??? Do I???
"Where's my Grapple Mark 2 Stapple Gun? Oh, I know where it is!!! I left it next to the pencils and biros!"
The Grapple MK II Stappling Rifle! A Giant stapple gun... use it to stapple monsters to memo boards!

Guest Lrm

I don't care much about model names and such. A shotgun's a shotgun, a rocket launcher is a rocket launcher, and a plasma gun is a plasma gun. Simple as that.

Guest PainoMan
sirgalahadwizar said:

You can have good names like "M-427 Skyshroud" or "PT-28 Lightning Shark"
(im not sure those are good names anywayz).

But when you see the gun and it looks really weird and it shoots something really weird, you will eventually want to know:
"what does it do exactly?"

It's just like the issue with me and "blasters". They had em' in starwars but I never understood what actually shot out of the barrel.
It's not lasers becuz they travel in a continious beam, must be low-powered plasma bolts... (WTF?)

It's just like the BFG, don't exactly know what it shoots, looks like plasma but that doesn't explain the "splash" effect it has.

I think you need a little reminder... this is FANTASY... FAN... TA... SY!!

The damn blasters and guns can be and shoot anything you want them to! Who the freek cares about the details? This is FANTASY! We don't need details in FANTASY.

I kind of wondered about the blasters in Star Wars too, but I never said that they couldn't be lasers because this is FANTASY! They can be laser bolts, plasma bolts or freeking fart bolts for I care. FANTASY!

This is a sign yer gettin' old. You are losing the ability to stay in the magical realm of FANTASY!

I just wanted to know what came out of the barrel, and why it always seemed to kill things (they didn't look to powerful if you ask me).
The "Blaster Gas" someone mentioned earlier sounds like a form of plasma, and that explains the massive damage.

Science Fiction, not fantasy... there's a difference. Science Fiction is based upon reality and it's laws and what might be possible beyond what we have discovered.

Fantasy is far more radical because it doesn't have to be governed by those rules, some parts of it can, but there always has to be a part of it that defies those rules.

The line between science fiction and fantasy is actually a "grey area", but fantasy is always more radical.
I consider doom to be science fiction, while hexen/heretic is definatly fantasy. But that is my opinion.
I also consider star wars science fiction, despite what others say (the techy things vs. magical things).

Guest PainoMan

No no no no. I don't mean fantasy as in Tolkien or Donaldson. I'm mean FANTASY as in the opposite of REALITY.

Only SOME science fiction is based on reality. You should not make a blanket statement like that. This is why it is called science FICTION, not science non-fiction. It all depends on the writer's particular style. I'd say Ben Bova bases most of his stuff in reality, but Philip K. Dick definetly does not.

And if you wanna get technical, Star Wars is more of a Space Fantasy than science fiction.

Anyway the point is, what comes out of the barrel is anything you want to come out of the barrel.