Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tetzlaff

Story, settings, environments in Doom 3

From settings to story and back again. - We talked several times about what a good story would be the background for Doom III´s action (and yes, I know that we are just dreaming). There were also some good ideas, but I´m still not sure what could be a really good story. So I just ask the question in a different way: Which environments, which settings you would like to see in the game?

Here are my suggestions so far:

1) Space.
-Star ship. Large, dark and gloomy UAC spacecraft. You are on your way to Phobos to research the origins of the hellspawn phenomenon - or you are on a evacuation ship and try to rescue some left over earth inhabitants after Doom2. Sudenly something happens, the story begins.

2) Allied Planet.
-Later you arrive to an allied planet, colonized with humans. There are many earth-like settings possible, such as:
-Abandoned industrial complexes.
-Lost colonial city: suburbs, squares, underground, skycrapers, ancient parts (castle, graveyard) etc.
-Lunatic Asylum: An asylum with medical research facility can be a very scary setting! Our hero gets commited because he talked too much about hellspawn ;) Now he has to fight his way through, dealing with insane zombified humans, security personal, pitbulls and robots. And he has to find new weapons (hey Deadnail! A good opportunity to take more weapons in it).
-High tech fortress: You get in conflict with hostile inhabitants of the planet (maybe they could be hell-related cultists in some way) and have to fight against several humanoid characters.
-Fascistoid monumental architectures. Makes you feel like a dwarf.
-Cathedral. Strange, spooky gothic baroque style mixture. There the spacemarine finally finds a portal to the hell dimension.

3) Hell.
-Inferno settings
-Horror settings
-Depressive settings
-Psychodelic settings

---So, what do you think? Make some suggestions as well!

Guest JudgeDooM

mmhhh...I find all the ideas good.
But Id must not miss the hellish aspect of the game (if the story puts us in hell). I mean, I want to refind the same hellish feeling of the original Doom, like most of the doomers.

I want it to be scary as hell, but it musn´t have "hell" as the one and only setting! What should I say if someones says "ok but everything I want is hell" and makes no further explanations! Look at my 3rd point: hell, hell and hell again. Also I always thought about some hell-related details in the other settings. And what exactly do you mean with "hell"? Lava and splattered corpses hanging on walls?
Have you ever noticed that in Doom2 the hell setting not starts until level 21? Many really great and famous maps like "Dead Simple", "Entryways" or "Circle of Death" didn´t have any hell setting, but definetely they are Doom!

Well, if you've seen "jacob's ladder", the scene where they take him in the depths of abandoned hospital where all the gibs and crap are, that is a realistic painful hell (that I hope doesn't exist after in the afterlife).

The insane asylum would look really cool if it were done like that.

Guest mancuvus

deamn that is good, as Tetzlaff says there must be all that enviroments and a lot of levels in hell, it will be cool if they do it like depressed, scary, kinda psichological stuff and things like that, it think there must be a little bit of cinematics to

sirgalahadwizar said:

Well, if you've seen "jacob's ladder", the scene where they take him in the depths of abandoned hospital where all the gibs and crap are, that is a realistic painful hell (that I hope doesn't exist after in the afterlife).

The insane asylum would look really cool if it were done like that.

Is it a medieval or an our days scenerie in "jacob´s ladder"?

It's an our days scene, and since you haven't seen it I highly recommend that you see it today!

BTW, if you think that's cool, wait until you see the school in the Playstation game "Silent Hill"! Absolutely terrifying compared to the creepy Jacob's Ladder!

Guest JudgeDooM
JudgeDooM said:

mmhhh...I find all the ideas good.
But Id must not miss the hellish aspect of the game (if the story puts us in hell). I mean, I want to refind the same hellish feeling of the original Doom, like most of the doomers.

Yeah, I mean splatted corpses against walls, skeletons lying on the ground, lava, a red sky or a black one with flames in the air (like the PS version or Doom 64), and pentagrams on the walls.

I'm not a satanic, but it's one of the things that make me love DooM ambiance so much. And when I play the Playstation version, I'm always about to cry, really, the music are so beautiful, they fit perfectly to the game. If I don't cry, I lye on the ground :). I hope the same type of the PS music will be in Doom 3...

Guest nimrodd

I recently posted a message entitled "Things we need to see in Doom 3." I must say i agree with your thoughts and yes, in reply to YOUR reply, i do have some ideas for demon weapons you could find in Hell. As i said, you wouldn't walk into Hell and see a shotgun lying around. You'd find fire, pain, and demons! As such, I think demon weapons should be aquired off of demons you have just fragged. Here are some ideas.

Hands of Lucifer- Hellish gauntlets you aquire off a dead Archvile, which enable you to summon Hell fire.

Magma- Heat-seeking lava blasts, gained from the Revenant.

HyperPlasma- super-fast green plasma, curtesy of the Arachnitron!

AntiGenesis- the mother of all hell power, you get this from one of the BIG bosses. It could be one of those "kill everything on the screen" type things.

just my thoughts.