Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Disorder

CHECK OUT THESE IDEAS FOR DOOM3 !!!

SOME MORE IDEA’S FOR DOOM 3!

It would be cool if enemies in Doom III could slam into doors you're standing in front of. You would see the door shake and see that the punching from the undead marines will leave a mark on the door... A big mark. Finally, the door will break... THAT would REALLY scare the shit out of people !! And some realism PLEASE... If I would fire a missile at a door or a wall right now, i would blow it away. Right? So, it will be great if wall's would rapidly break down as you fire away! That's realism !

And how come you were always alone in DooM and DooM 2? I mean, there must be at least 2 or 3 other marines still alive. I know that this way, the game is a little scarier but that's not realistic... I'd like to see the game start out with an army.
(Something like the X-Com-games, UFO enemy unknown etc.) I don't mean that you can select their weapons and shit before you start, but fighting these creatures from hell with an army would be really great. And sometimes these army’s should be reinforced like in Command and Conquer… Another great advantage this would give is that you slowly see your army shrink. Marines will be eaten alive and some will be blown to pieces (Which should also look very realistic... Something like in the movie : Saving Private Ryan).

Once more, and more marines die around you, the more, and more fear you will start to feel. And once you're all alone you'll feel absolute terror, cause believe me: you'll panic when you're buddies are NOT there to help YOU !!

I would also like to see some "flash-light"-effects like seen in Alone In The Dark 4 !... that's some scary shit. Imagine yourself being in a big room. But it's dark, very dark. You'll look around with your flashlight on... Suddenly you hear a noise from the right !!! spooky...

Music is also very important… I’d like some music as in Aliens versus Predator… Classical music that is… You know. That really scary horror-music. It gives people the creeps. Or another option for music. Metalbands like SlipKnot, MachineHead, etc. could also be very cool in the background. That stuff will piss you off and make you feel really angry so you would love to go out there and go kill those f*cking bastards who wiped out you buddies… Plus, the game will be taken much more seriously than it would when you’d hear a little techno-tune in the background.. I think…

Maybe the weapons should not be that Sci-Fi. I’d like some weapons from the year 2000. An AK-47 for example. Or a Heckler & Koch MP5. An M16 maybe? I hate those weapons you would expect to see in a game as Unreal : Tournament… Ver, very boring… (lasergun…… kazooof, kazoooof…. Boring). You know, shitty weapons who shoot green jelly look-a-like balls………. BORING…. And I also hate those weapons from Hexen, Heretic etc. I wanna see NORMAL weapons like I wrote about above...

Oh yeah… before I forget… I’d like to see the same kind of “corpse-art” as in DooM II…(Dead people hanging from the ceiling and stuff like that…)

And PLEASE bring back the chainsaw !!…

That’s all for now folks…….. Please Reply !!! I wanna know what YOU think of this ... ………………… “contact broken”……..

First Reply SUCKERS!

Well

You made some VERY nice points there!

Especially:

The Marine Friend THINGIE!
The corpse Art Thingie!
The Weapons!

* Enemies slamming through the doors. Great idea!

* Starting out with a wave of soldiers is also a good idea but it's been brought up before. The only problem I foresee is that the beginning scene will have 1/5th the framerate of the rest of the game, other than that I would really enjoy it.

* The flashlight would make a wonderful addition to Doom. It worked wonders in Silent Hill.

* As for music, Trent Reznor has been signed. Whether he does classical, ambient, goth, goth ambient, techno, noise, metal or grindcore is still unknown. Who knows. Any of the above would suit Doom. Bobby Prince would just do more generic midi sounding metal, and it would destroy the respect I have for him. As for SlipKnot or Machinehead, well, Trent Reznor has been signed. Besides, we can't stuff a ton of popular antisocial musicians in there or the game would seem unpolished.

* A weapon from the year 2K like the AK-47 or H&K MP5? Well, the AK is several decades old and the MP5A5 isn't a newborn either. As seen as the trend of firearms, in the future they would be smaller, lighter, and have more options for customization. The Benelli M3 is a perfect choice for a shotgun because it supports several attachments, is lightweight, is accurate, is reliable, and it can even operate either pump action or semi-auto. Semi-auto won't work underwater, though. The M16A1 is dead, sorry. It's been replaced by the M4, which is lighter and is MUCH more customizable as far as sightings and attachments go. It's also less expensive to manufacture. Don't worry, they look almost identical. If you want to see the submachine gun of the future, look at the latest models from Steyr and H&K... molded plastic resin bullpups that are cheaper, faster, lighter, more reliable, hold more rounds, and can be customized to fit almost any situation. Some of them even look an awful lot like the Plasma Rifle... hmm...

A good secondary fire for the machine gun would be turning on the attached flashlight. This also would make you somewhat powered-down when exploring dark areas, to add to the feeling of being hectically trapped when the shit hits. Unless, of course, you whip out the big guns and fire blindly into the void. =)

As for Heretic / Hexen, well, this is Doom, placed several hundred years into the future. Not a fantasy realm, placed several thousand years into the past. Then again, the thought of smashing an Imp's face in with a lightweight hammer certianly has it's appeal. "In case of fire(breathing demon), break glass"

* Corpse art, a given. Must be there.

* Unless the game takes place where there are trees to cut then a chainsaw would be completely out of place. Nonetheless, I'd still like to see one hanging around. People try to argue that it has diamond blades and can cut anything, but who the Hell would use a chainsaw for anything but wood? It has no precision.

* That's what *I* think of this. Happy?

Heard of the OCIW?

They said it weighs about 18 lbs, has a combination machinegun/grenade launcher, and costs one bitch-ass amount of money (about 10 grand apiece). But they intend on making it smaller.

This strikes a strange co-incidence. The m-41 pulse rifle from "Aliens" has almost all of these features... scary huh?
-----
*Enemies don't have to slam through doors, they just press the nice little red button and *shoomp*, the door goes into the cieling.
Unless it's a locked door, then they'll have to bash through it.

*A rocket would put a small hole in the door, but nothing more.

Plasma gun would only put scorch marks on it (unless they are using a new type of plasma, then it'll vaporize small holes).

BFG blast would melt the door, probably desintegrate a large hole through the center, and still hit things on the other side.

It is assumed that doors are bulletproof so shotguns/minigun wouldn't have any effect other than little dents.

*Where do you find pretty little pictures of these Steyr and H&K model guns (their website? or somewhere else). I may actually make edge mods with these (I am already screwing around with that MP-5 mod on cdrom.com and I am getting pretty far, about to the point of overdoing it).
-----
*What I want to know is why monsters are not alerted all over the entire frigging base when gunshots go off, or why monsters don't go into fighting mode when they see projectiles flying

*If you turn on a flashlight, anything in the vicinity will know of your approach because of the ambient beam in front of you.

*The baron needs to look as tough as he actually is. Not height, he doesn't need to be taller, he just needs to be a helluva more chunkier (would explain his mass of 1000 kg compaired to flynn's measily 100).
He also needs to do more damage up close with his claws (the way I see it, if he claws you it should be as dangerous as a rocket).

I also thought about putting some real teamaction into the game, but it shouldn´t be a whole army, just a small squad of 4 marines. The doors idea etc. also is good. But I really dislike if people want to displace the typical, fairly futuristic Doom weapons with ugly BOOOOORING our days weapons. Doom is neither Halflife Counterstrike nor Soldier of Fortune or whatever, it´s Doom!

Guest TossMonkey
Shaviro said:

First Reply SUCKERS!

Well

You made some VERY nice points there!

Especially:

The Marine Friend THINGIE!
The corpse Art Thingie!
The Weapons!

Actually, I think that the gun on the start up screen of ultimate doom looks kinda like the alien pulse rifle. Marine's dont use Chainsaws much do they? not really. It should be kind of a 'secret' weapon ala doom1. I like the destructable scenery idea! But this would be hard to code. Carmack had trouble coding decals onto curved surfaces. He couldn't figure out how to 'do' curve clipping. so imagine how hard it will be to code destructable scenery (that said, he might just go back to using some form of engine which uses entities). Doom3 will probably have corpses hanging from the ceiling. Anyone know who the character is hanging in doom? You get two points if you can guess. Well its not a dead baby as some idiot journalists said. Give up? its commander keen. Weird eh? Why would ID do this to one of there coolest characters? ah well. I loved Saving Ryans Privates (or is it the other way round?) so the team-mate thing would be a cool addition. It would kill my lowly amd300 but it would be cool to watch. As long as the AI wouldnt be a tragic mess like the game that start with D (and ends with aikatana).

Guest Intestinalworm

I have seen a preview of a game called red faction and it has totally destructable environments and a rocket launcher that could take out a hole building. Small hole, my ass, sirgalahadwizer. I dont know if it has curved surfaces though like Q3 has and D3 probably will.

Guest TossMonkey

Ah shit yeah I have heard of that game! damn I forgot about that one. You can have a gun which detects people heat energy through walls too!! I reckon that game will run slowly with all that information it has to deal with. It probably uses some kind of mesh deformation OR it just uses a shitload of polygons fitted together like a jigsaw puzzle so it comes apart when you shoot it. It would be hard to programme it any other way in my opinion. But what the hell would I know right? I just make maps for Unreal Tournament.

Guest JudgeDooM

I totally agree with you on the team point. I've thought of it so many times. Starting with other marines, THAT's realism. And I also totally agree with you on for the weapons, I'm so go damn sick of this futuristic weapons, I want real weapons!! DooM used 2 """""""fururistic""""""" weapons (the plasma rifle and the BFG 9000), but they're perfectly fitted for the scenery and the year the game is set, I mean, they're not exagerated.

If in the single player, that "starting with other marines" thing is not included, I hope there will be a cooperative mode for the multiplayer. And I hope that Id look at these threads.

Intestinalworm said:

Small hole, my ass...

Yes, If they have realistic rockets (about 20mm to 40mm) then they will only put a small hole.

I am assuming that these doors are double-sided, 1-inch thick steel or other metal (that makes 2 inches) + any other mechanisms in-between the two plates (the doors are about 6-inches thick). To completly destroy the door the damage would have to be tremendous (about 800-1200 on the standard doom system), hmm I did mention that the bfg would destroy a door...

Maybe the truely locked doors that you are supposed to NEED the keys for would have magnetic field displacers to foil BFG attempts and be too thick to blast through with rockets (like starwars' blast doors were).

If they were larger like ~120mm then they would tear up a whole small building, but we both know that the player cannot carry many of these (unless he's a mech), and they would severely un-balance the game (too much damage).

Of course I am being *very* logical on my approach of this (red faction's rocket launcher is either unrealistic, or really really big).

And yes, that small hole in your ass, that is your asshole (you're supposed to put things in it, like my... nevermind).