Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest mancuvus

another thing in the game...

Guest mancuvus

it must be grat if we can for example shot to the leg of the enemies and just blow the leg or the head or an arm, what do ya think, another thing is that i hope to see in the game the same kind of stuff like persons without the half of their bodies hanging with chains or people blowed up in the walls

That stuff will be implementend in DooM3 for sure. After Soldier of Fortune, all games in the future will have that feature.

I know Soldier of Fortune wasn't the first game to have that. I played one in the arcades, must have been over 6 years ago, where you could cut guys down to a torso. Something like Time Warriors; it was a Street Fighter-style game that had time warps involved.

Zaldron said:

That stuff will be implementend in DooM3 for sure. After Soldier of Fortune, all games in the future will have that feature.

Nopers... locational damage isn't exactly a soon to be universal feature. For instance, Kingpin had locational damage and the ability to blow off limbs, but Grey Matter's next game -- Return to Castle Wolfenstein -- won't. It's a feature which is hard to implement and can just result in the game being simply too violent for a lot of people.

I think most of them will have it as an on/off feature. That's probably the best way to go about it, similar to the parental control/password system in ROTT and a few others.

I hate this dump overdone violence like it was shown in Soldier of Fortune, it is just sick and ugly. I need violence in a game just to be thrilled, not to figure out sadistic fantasies.

Lüt said:

I know Soldier of Fortune wasn't the first game to have that. I played one in the arcades, must have been over 6 years ago, where you could cut guys down to a torso. Something like Time Warriors; it was a Street Fighter-style game that had time warps involved.

I'm thinking either "Time Killers", which completely sucked balls, or "Bloodstorm"... which was a decent Mortal Kombat clone. What was nifty about Bloodstorm was that you could do fatalities over and over and over and over....

I remember one time, I lost badly to a computer controlled "Freon", and he did the ventilator fatality with two uzzis, then uppercutted me onto a spike, then did the ventilator fatality again.

Another funny thing about Bloodstorm is that you really had to take down someone's lifebar to beat them. You could rip open their stomach, slice off their limbs, and totally shred them to a lump of flesh THAT WILL STILL CRAWL ON THE GROUND AND BITE until you clear that lifebar. They just don't give up! =)

Any of you remember a game for the 3D0 called "War" or something like that? It was an absolutely HORRIBLE Mortal Kombat clone that was so far over the line it was rediculous. In a fight you could drink whiskey or shoot heroin to up your life bar, and for fatalities, you could even rape your enemy. Yikes. No wonder that retarded company is dead.

Guest Nuno Correia

I believe that the game is called "Way of the Warrior". It did suck.

/me digs out his pile of old crap to find a 3DO Blaster

Linguica said:

Nopers... locational damage isn't exactly a soon to be universal feature. For instance, Kingpin had locational damage and the ability to blow off limbs, but Grey Matter's next game -- Return to Castle Wolfenstein -- won't. It's a feature which is hard to implement and can just result in the game being simply too violent for a lot of people.

When I mentioned a few replies up about the presence of locational damage in all future games i refered to those who haven´t been started yet. I know that Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Elite Force, Serious Sam, and many others don´t have this feature. But this is not going to last. One big drawback on FPS is getting used to enemies resistance. It´s completely ridiculous that you can already say : "oh, look! it´s a ...., i can beat him with 5 shots of this, or 14 of this one". One thing with Kingping and SoF that i like is the wide range of damage you have to do to same characters to kill them.
Plus, this particular technology enhances the single player experience. Take for example a "revamped" cyberdemon :

. Instead of shooting him like a madman, it´s way more intelligent to crack his head with some nice placed rockets.

. Get rid of his rocket launcher will be fun too, make it explode like in MechWarrior.

. Severe him in the legs, so he will fall to ground (with a good earthquake on impact).

This feature acts in the other way too, depending on how you face an enemy, the damage that you will take vary. I can imagine a human surviving a claw attack from a Hell Baron in the leg, but i cannot understand that you receive the same damage for your ribcage being opened.

About the "violence shock". Kingping and SoF awakened so many thoughts about excessive violence for children because your enemies were real humans, with their costume and languaje taken from the real world. Nobody cares if a Rameletion or an Magma Wrath Guardian of Olympus looses its head. Of course, this settings could be activated/deactivated for protection purposes, but im starting to get angry about all these "Violence problem" crap. They just don´t know what to blame.

I think DooM 3 has to be pretty violent and sick. Remember, in this game we will be at war fighting against creatures from hell. That's gonna leave a bloodstain.. That's just a reason for me to buy such a game. And if someone think's it's way too violent, then they should just be able to turn the violence off with Parental Control or some other options like that... I think locational damage must be in D3... hell yeah...

The solution is easy, and I did this with my personal RPG too (but it can work anywhere):

You have two damage systems:
*normal - determines how bad it hurts
*structural - causes gibs, splats, etc.

When someone takes 500 normal damage, but no structual damage then they should just drop dead. If they take lotsa structural damage then they start losing pieces.

For each appendage they should have a structural damage capacity (or Structural Health). When an appendage no longer has any structural health then it does what the code tells it to do (leg flies off with a trail of blood behind it). And when it takes too much structural damage then it just splatters.

A structurally killed torso wil have a huge hole through it or a big gouge. Overkill structural damage makes ribs and other organs start flying.

Guest mancuvus
Zaldron said:

hope so

Guest mancuvus
Disorder said:

I think DooM 3 has to be pretty violent and sick. Remember, in this game we will be at war fighting against creatures from hell. That's gonna leave a bloodstain.. That's just a reason for me to buy such a game. And if someone think's it's way too violent, then they should just be able to turn the violence off with Parental Control or some other options like that... I think locational damage must be in D3... hell yeah...

yeha man!!!!

Guest mancuvus
Tetzlaff said:

I hate this dump overdone violence like it was shown in Soldier of Fortune, it is just sick and ugly. I need violence in a game just to be thrilled, not to figure out sadistic fantasies.

hey man it is better than shoot somebodies head and just see the person die without lacerationas orwhatever if you shot some demon in the leg he will die, watta fuck is that

Guest JudgeDooM
mancuvus said:

hope so

me too

mancuvus said:

hey man it is better than shoot somebodies head and just see the person die without lacerationas orwhatever if you shot some demon in the leg he will die, watta fuck is that

What I would like to see are different death-animations (like the guards in Quake2 had it) in a really "dramatic" way, that would increase the action feel and is much better then ugly gibbing.