Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest PainoMan

Eeek

Guest PainoMan

"I am hoping that the absolute top-of-the-line system available when the game ships will be capable of running it with all features enabled and anti-aliasing on at 60hz, but even the fastest cards of today are going to have to run at fairly low resolutions to get decent frame rates. Many will choose to drop a feature or two to get some speed back, but they still won't be able to get near 60hz."

This sort of thinking by game designers just pisses me off. Do they think that they will sell a million copies of a game that people have to go out and spend $2000 for a top-of-the-line system to play it on? They must be out of their fucking minds!

Now, I'm not saying that Doom 3 should run great on a P200, but Jesus H. Christ!

Games are the only reason people buy new equipment. You never hear somebody say, "Man, I gotta get a new processor. I gotta get Word 2001 moving faster!"

You wanna make a mint selling computer games you have to decide what your target system should be, and that target system should be what most people (in your target audience) have in their home RIGHT NOW, not "when the game is released" because chances are, most people will still have the same system when the game is released.

Sounds to me like Doom 3 might end up like Jurassic Park Tresspasser; a good game but it was too much for the common system at the time. What happened? Nobody bought it. I think a lot of people will be buying Doom 3. I will. The name alone has that power. But it will just sit in my closet (until the day I buy an old legacy machine for $300 that is fast enought to run it. I just refuse to go out and buy top-of-the-line stuff when the price will be 60% lower in a year or two afterwards.

C'mon. You programmers are smart guys. Make it run FAST. With ALL the features. Damn it

I seem to recall that back when Doom was released, everyone was still using 386s and bitching that the game would only run well on the super-expensive 486 processors with an insane amount of RAM -- like 8 megs! That's crazy!

This is somewhat unrelated but I agree with you. My point is, that Duke Nukem Forever is being developed on Pentium 3 450's so that's the target system. All of them either have Voodoo 3 or GeForce video cards. Since they're developer systems they all also have 256 megs of ram but Broussard said that he'll probably make the game run on 64.

What kind of systems is Doom 3 being developed on? If Carmack just got a shitload of 1.1Ghz Athlons with 768 megs of DDR ram then we all just might be up shit creek. Of course, in two years 1.1 Ghz won't be so bad... the ram though, will still be brutally expensive.

I don't really enjoy spending a few hundred dollars on my PC every few years just to keep it nifty for gaming. The major thing that pisses me off is buying the same thing over and over, especially video cards.

C'mon, why the hell isn't the RAM on them exchangable?!

A GeForce 2 Ultra without the 64 megs of DDR ram would be half as much, and if I already had the ram I could just swap it. Instead I have to buy it anyways and throw the old, perfectly fine ram right out. That's retarded, and it's a waste of valuable resources.

Another thing that bugs me, how come the controllers for PC have NEVER come close to the control of the Dual Shock Playstation controller, huh? Sure, I have a Hammerhead FX controller and Logitech just came out with one but they both suck! Poorly shaped, unresponsive buttons, really twitchy analog (The PSX one goes from 0 to 32 evenly, it seems the PC ones go from 0 to 128 in the first milimeter, then roll up to 256), and cords that are so short the thing ends up hovering over my keyboard.

The only problem with force feedback is that only racing and sim games seem to utilize it. SoF used it, why not Doom 3? I like my controller rattling when I'm firing off a machinegun. I won't deathmatch with it but it's still fun as hell to lean back and RELAX when I play a game, I can't be running like hell with my mouser combination all the time can I?

Here's something else, when the HELL am I going to be able to configure the thing as I'd like to? Why is the gamepad always forced to count as a POV hat? When I configured SNES9X to use the gamepad as the SNES gamepad, I couldn't get any diagonal control. But when I used the analog stick instead it was there. It just feels wrong to play Megaman with an analog stick, though. The other thing that bothers me, when Q2 came out for the PSX I was happy, the game said it had fully customizable controls and I could rig it anyway I wanted to. Unfortunately, it only had 3 presets. Yeah, that's customizable. Anyways, I never got to configure the left stick for forward/backward/strafeleft/straferight and the right stick for aimup/aimdown/turnleft/turn right like I wanted to. That would be as close as possible to a mouser configuration, but unfortunately, even with the games on my PC and my controller the strafing and aiming controls always have to be mixed wrong.

Bastards.

I wonder if I should buy one of those two hundred dollar gigantic analog joysticks? I used one in the arcade deathmatch WAR game but it seemed to suck.

Linguica said:

I seem to recall that back when Doom was released, everyone was still using 386s and bitching that the game would only run well on the super-expensive 486 processors with an insane amount of RAM -- like 8 megs! That's crazy!

Actually, I'm running DOOM on a 486 SX w/16 megs of ram, and it runs like crap unless you put it on low detail and shrink it to a teeny tiny window. The reason is so I can have more time on the computer, as no one else in my family will touch that piece of junk. I also do all my level designing on it. Can't someone take the original DOOM source code and optimize it to make it run faster?

geekmarine said:

... runs like crap unless you put it on low detail and shrink it to a teeny tiny window.

In a window??? No wonder it runs like shit, if you're running it in a window that is. Fullscreen mate, alt+enter (if ure using win9x that is)

Guest PainoMan
deadnail said:

SNES9X!!??? ackkk... gakkk.... errg...

Dood why even bother with that lump of code? ZSNES is miles ahead. Yeah, yeah, there are like 4 (probably wildly inaccurate) games that don't work right in ZSNES that work in SNES9X... big deal...

Yes, playing in a window will be slow, but it shouldn't be THAT much slower on a fast machine. On my dinosaur p200 mmx, it is slow but almost playable. On a PII - PIII machine you shouldn't have any trouble even with all the snazzy video features on.

Anyway, now that there is a Windows version of ZSNES, there should be no excuse. Heh heh...

Just my personal, but loudly spoken, emulation opinions.

Guest JudgeDooM
deadnail said:

Carmack said he is using a GeForce 2 GTS as his basic graphic card for work on DooM 3 graphics. I'll buy one or the NV20 (it's due to ship in the end of this year). And I hope DooM 3 will run good on a PIII 800 with 192 megs of Ram (if needed, I'll add some more)...

Guest PainoMan
DiSTuRBeD said:

In a window??? No wonder it runs like shit, if you're running it in a window that is. Fullscreen mate, alt+enter (if ure using win9x that is)

Ummm... I think he meant shrink the player view window... y'know... with the "-" key?

Guest PainoMan
JudgeDooM said:

Carmack said he is using a GeForce 2 GTS as his basic graphic card for work on DooM 3 graphics. I'll buy one or the NV20 (it's due to ship in the end of this year). And I hope DooM 3 will run good on a PIII 800 with 192 megs of Ram (if needed, I'll add some more)...

Jeezus god. I'm sorry but I just won't buy into it. If Doom 3 is going to need that powerful of a system to run, screw it. And screw Carmack for trying to get away with it.

PainoMan said:

Ummm... I think he meant shrink the player view window... y'know... with the "-" key?

Yes, that's what I meant, when you press the "-" key to shrink the screen. I have Windows 3.1 on that computers, and there's no way I'd ever be able to play DOOM if I tried running from Windows.