Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

Voting for JDOOM as the worst source port clearly shows retardness.

And so does voting for BOOM.

If id decided to put there official support behind a source port, (i.e. start packing it with every copy of doom), what do you think it would be? try to think like id...

Uh, considering Doom95 comes with the collectors edition apparently, I'd say Doom95. Of course I would prefer they put a port on. I don't think it will happen though..

But if any, I'd say Boom/PrBoom would be the ones id choose.

Yes, it would be more than likely PRBoom. It's a heckuva lot like the original Doom only it gets rid of those annoying VPO's and such nonsense.

Jdoom, although i'm obviously and utterly biased (See Underworld WADS).

Jaakko Keranen is still working on new versions of the engine; if he introduced true-3D maps and sloping sector planes, it'd be perfect :P

John Carmack at one point did say that Boom was as close to an "official" source port as there was likely to be. A few years ago when there was going to be a WebTV Doom, Carmack said it would use the Boom codebase.

However, with the Doom Collector's Edition (which is a complete piece of shit), Activision is telling all WinXP users (which can't play because the mouse doesn't work; did they not test it at all?!) to use JDoom instead.

I vote ZDoom, because it is the only source port that I've ever gotten to work on my computer.

Even though I don't ever use it, JDoom does seem like the most 'advanced' port due to it's graphics. And hell, we've been stairing at the same damn software render for long enough, and we've shoved that same damn 'doom.exe feel™' down our throats for soo long it's just itching for a change, jdoom is that change.

/me loads up jdoom to make sure he's still thinking straight.

i am still thinking straight.

most advanced graphics? jdoom has serious floor and ceiling display problems, which manifest themselves often in slivers of hom and sky showing thru.

uh, esayeek, what version of JDoom are you using...all those HOM errors and the such have been long gone.

Latest is Jdoom 1.14.1, Latest Doomsday is 1.7.1. Also, Jdoom now uses directx 8 instead of 6.

also, as to what linguica said, that is why I chose PrBoom, because I remember that reading that quote somewhere. Activision are recommending Jdoom...Heh, cool.

/me quotes from the TeamTNT site...

Saturday 20 March 1999
ZDoom is officially endorsed by TeamTNT

TeamTNT hereby officially endorses use of the ZDoom engine, coded by Randy Heit. It supports Boom-based wads very well, has a large number of other enhancements, runs in Windows and DOS, has Internet play and good sound and many other features. The ZETH editor, a modified version of the DETH editor widely used at TeamTNT, supports the ZDoom features.
TeamTNT created Boom as a stable base for the editing community to use for new levels as well as for other coders to use as a base for their engines. ZDoom has used many if not most of the ideas, enhancements and bug fixes that we put into Boom and reflects exactly what we had in mind. Since we will no longer be enhancing Boom, it is with pleasure that we endorse ZDoom as the heir apparent of the DOOM "Source Ports" for general use. See other entries in today's news for details of how we'll be using it.

Thanks to Randy Heit for a job well done, and to all the other folks he credits with ideas, code and techniques he has incorporated.

Submerge said:

MBF dammit. Classic BFG rules.

If it ruled so much, why got it kicked away by id?

No, I think if ID chose an official port, it should be one that is as close to the original doom(2).exe as possible.

LorD BaZTArD said:

uh, esayeek, what version of JDoom are you using...all those HOM errors and the such have been long gone.

Latest is Jdoom 1.14.1, Latest Doomsday is 1.7.1. Also, Jdoom now uses directx 8 instead of 6.

also, as to what linguica said, that is why I chose PrBoom, because I remember that reading that quote somewhere. Activision are recommending Jdoom...Heh, cool.

1.13.1, dx8

you wouldnt happen to be blind would you? that would explain it.

esayeek said:

/me loads up jdoom to make sure he's still thinking straight.

i am still thinking straight.

most advanced graphics? jdoom has serious floor and ceiling display problems, which manifest themselves often in slivers of hom and sky showing thru.

As mentioned in the Jdoom documentation, use GLbsp.exe on the wad before playing; it clears up these errors.

DooMBoy said:

What kind of computer do you have, Dan? A 486DX?

No, a Compaq. And before that, an E-Machine. If buying computers was up to me, it would be a lot different...trust me.

Well, since Team TNT was at one point supported by id, and there sorce port boom, and Zdoom is for all intent and preposes the successor to boom, I’d say Zdoom. and it look’s like the Marjory agree.