Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy

A new hope for the DooM movie.

For starters, the DooM movie license was recently passed on to Spielberg, and it is possible for him to direct the film, hell, the guy is directing 13 other movies! He's even making Jurrasic Park III! Plus, {this might play a role, wether or not DooM3 will rock the sales} with DooM3 coming out, it will rush production of the movie, and if there can be another DooM game with no-one, including the government, going "...But the Columbine...", then there CAN be a movie. Plus, there is lots of poeple willing to play as "Fly" {Flynn Taggart} The DooM Marine. And no, the movie is not based on the game, the movie will infact be based on the novels, and Dafydd ab Hugh WILL be helping with the directing. I don't care what anyone thinks, if they made that movie, JUST READ THE DAMNED NOVELS DAMNIT! And you'll understand why it would rock so freaking much to see the DooM movie. And to top that off, not only would the movie be really long, just imagine the CyberDeamon on the "BIG" screen! Damnit! DAMN YOU ROMERO! THE SCRIPT IS GOOD ENOUGH! I see a BBIIGG hope for the movie.

Jeremy said:

I see a BBIIGG hope for the movie.

Sorry dude. I think DooM : The Movie, is a BAD idea. Do you remember what happened to Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and all those other games that turned into movies and then turned into very bad b-quality-movies...?

I don't wanna see this happen to DooM...

Urm, yeah, but street fighter didn't have the ability to make a good movie. Mortal Kombat made a reasonably good movie, but the sequal was shit.

Personally I am thinking of something along the lines of "Cyborg" (late 80's movie). That movie had alot of post apocolyptic warfare in demolished ruins and with primitave/semi-modern weaponry. It didn't have eye-candy (80's film), but certianly replicated the "they're out to get you" feel.

It's all in how well someone does the script. Obviously the movie script can't jsut involve 80% action and 20% drama. There has to be a storyline to it.
"Aliens" had a solid storyline and it was only about 50% action, it was reasonably good.

People completely fuck up a really good concept when they throw too mcuh cheezy crap in it. If the movie is totally serious, and there's lots of killing and crap, then they can't realy put in any jokes or touchy-feely stuff (one reason why "Starship Troopers" and "Deep Rising" sucked).
If it is totally serious like I expect the doom movie to be, then the mood should steadily get worse - with some downward leaps. Maybe the marines are laughing and joking at the beginning but their attitude changes later on, and doesn't come back to the "good" self they were before like "Predator" was. They were joking and crap in the helicopter and within a few minutes we are seeing skinned human bodies, I don't think they cracked one joke after that.

There also has to be limit on eye-candy as well. "Lost in space" (1996) had a ton of eye-candy but it still sucked.
If it is computer generated then it has to approach the detail level of "The Matrix".
I don't see how they would be able to cast people into the roles of most monsters unless the monster is semi-human sized (demons), and even then they would ahve to be some pretty big guys (don't know if casting for a cyberdemon of baron of hell would even be possible). Zombies would definatly have a human cast, but something like a cacodemon should be CG'd.
The CG would also have to be highly detailed, with hair, and dirty textures. All too often I see computer generated things that are just too clean (like monsters from doom64, they dont have enough texturizing on them).

A doom movie would work, it would work really good. It should be BASED on the game, lots of stuff should be added.
It should be flynn going through the game itself (sorta), and he should plow down a few hordes of monsters, but mostly try to hide from them etc. Rescue a few other marines that have been captured and is getting tortured, talk to them....
If they can make a movie from fighting games, the sure hell can make a GOOD one from an FPS. Doom ,Halflife and unreal would make great movies !

Guest mancuvus
sirgalahadwizar said:

I thought you said you were making it. With computer programs?

hey wait a minute, you say steven spilverg is the one how will make the doom mouvie, deamn, i dont think he knows what is all this doom stuff about, he dont make bloody movies and neither action movies, what are we waiting of this movie, is that definitive???
another thing, where could i get the doom novels????

Guest PainoMan
sirgalahadwizar said:

Starship Troopes didn't suck. You just didn't get it. The contrast of of its somewhat "campyness" and the gore was brilliant. And you really have to pay attention to catch a lot of the background humor that goes on in the movie.

Yes it did suck, bigtime. It's a drama. Now in that respect, yeah, it's ok. It's one of the better love stories I've seen. But action movie? Yeah there was cheap action filler, and that was it. My gripe is that they advertised as an action movie, and what do you get when you go see it? Another BS love story. I'm so sick of movies that pull that crap. Starship Troopers I just about walked out on when I went to see it. I only went back in because it was pouring outside and I didn't feel like walking across the whole parking lot to get to the car. Lousy movie, just about as cheesy as The Matrix (but not quite).

Wait a sec...
"I was goin' down on my girlfriend the other day and I sez, 'Gee you got a big pussy, gee you got a big pussy.' She asked why I said it twice and I said I didn't. You see, 'cuz of the echo..."

That was a joke after they saw General Hopper and his men skinned alive, so you're incorrect about Predator Galahad.

Starship Troopers was a cheesy love story, however, it only covered half the novel and I have higher hopes for the sequel. Twister, on the other hand, was just a wretched love story with tornadoes thrown in, and a really lame love story it was.

Titanic... well, I couldn't stand seeing more then 15 minutes of that horribly trite sack of shit. Luckily, I saw it on Valentines day in '98 with my girlfriend... and well, I really did only see 15 minutes of it. =) Unfortunately, she cought the end. When DeCraprio's popsickle ass started sinking I wanted to bust out laughing SO HARD but then my girl looked at me and started crying, "Why did Jack have to die?" I would've said, "Because it's a shitty way to make a billion dollars on fictional characters made up to capitalize on the deaths of 500 real people." but... I still wanted her to come back to my house later so I just held her. Mission accomplished, but I still think I should've laughed so hard I got thrown out of the theater. Heheh. =)

I liked Starship Troopers, thanks to a different chick I was with. Nothing happened, unfortunately, but I wanted to marry her. By the way, she suddenly moved upstate and started fucking some guy named 'John'. Life is fair.

I hated Lost In Space. I kept hoping that they'd all die in the end.

I loved Deep Rising. I know I shouldn't, but I liked Lake Placid and Deep Blue Sea as well. Really shitty B-Movie action/horror movies ALWAYS hold a soft place in my heart. I can't help it.

I dug the Matrix, even though it's so full of cliches we've all seen it a dozen times before it was released. Great, Mr. Agent man, humanity is a virus. Hasn't ever other Goddamn movie released in the last five years said that?

If you want to know, my favorite movies happen to include:
Run Lola Run
Pi
Cube
Se7en
Fallen
and of course, The Dark Crystal. :)

Guest JudgeDooM
sirgalahadwizar said:

Street fighter sucked a lot. Mortal Kombat was good (but the second was waaaaay more than disapointing -- its other sequel, Mortal Kombat Konquest was good). I've heard that Wing Commander sucked a lot too...
I think that the one who's gonna make the DooM film should play the game first, then interview some Doomers to have some more ideas (by coming in the forums for example and have a look a this thread), I mean, he should listen on how we would the film to be like, 'cos no-one knows DooM than us -- the DooMers...MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.
:)

sirgalahadwizar said:

I thought you said you were making it. With computer programs?

Yeah, when i'm 16, and trust me, it wont look too pretty, im not a Holly Wood pro.

deadnail said:

Cube! Nice ;)

Try Dark City too. It wasn't perfect, needed a little improvement (I know after seeing it 15 times) but still, it's the most memorable movie I've seen.

Matrix was cheesy in every way; story, characters, casting, and especially special FX. Did they do all that in a few days? Looks like a high-school or college-class experiment, that's all.

I didn't know Troopers was a novel; I might get that eventually. See, if they would have advertised that movie in the commercials for what it really was (love story/drama) I probably would have liked it a lot. They just sent you in with completely false expectations, that's why I was so bored when I saw it.

Twister... heh. hehe. hahahaha.

Titanic... had a few decent points; that movie really coulda gone places with the right director and script rearrangements. And proper casting.

Deep Blue Sea... caught that at some party once. I don't think we stopped making fun of it for over 30 seconds at a time. You know what's a good B-movie to watch if you really want something to make fun of: Dark Star.

mancuvus said:

hey wait a minute, you say steven spilverg is the one how will make the doom mouvie, deamn, i dont think he knows what is all this doom stuff about, he dont make bloody movies and neither action movies, what are we waiting of this movie, is that definitive???
another thing, where could i get the doom novels????

You can probably get the books online. Thats where I got the first one. The first book is by far the best, the second one is pretty good, and the third and fourth ones sucked. If they made a DOOM movie, it should only be based on the first two books.