Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dima

Doom 3 Engine Not Written From Scratch????

I am confused here!!!!
Here are the news that upset me:The Doom 3 engine is going to be a very heavily modified version of the Quake 3 codebase. While the prospect of creating an entirely new engine from scratch is tantalizing, John Carmack has decided that there is no point in reinventing the wheel. As he said on 9/18/00, "it is a huge help to have all the existing facilities of player movement, weapons, third person, noclip, cvars, console commands, etc, all present while I just concentrated on new rendering algorithms." Can somebody explain to me what's going on???????
Is the rendering engine (which is the most important thing) written from scratch?????

I think the quote you have given regards Quake 3 rather than the new Doom.

"...all present while I just concentrated on new rendering algorithms." <- Note the past tense, I doubt very much that the rendering algorithms for the new engine are finished yet.

As far as I'm aware, the engine will be 100% from scratch, other than Carmack re-applying (from his mind) things that he has used before that he doesn't think can be improved upon).

If this is from the interview over at VE, I think what he was talking about is that while developing some of the rendering code, he used it on top of some existing Q3 code, so he doesn't have to worry about player movement, clipping, console commands, etc... until later when he writes the new code for them.

Just a guess though

The rendering function is being coded from scratch. The only things that are familiar with the Q3 engine is the concept of "brush". Most of the var declarations are there too.