Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dima

Doom 3 Engine??????

Why do I hear from all sites faq's of Doom 3 next thing:
John Carmack stated that Doom 3 will use a heavy modified version of Quake 3 engine!!!!
WHY DO I HEAR THAT???????????

Half-Life used the Quake engine.
Soldier Of Fortune used the Quake 2 engine.

Duke Nukem Forever will use the Unreal Tournament engine, yet it will be much more advanced due to code modifications.

Relax.

Besides, they're using the Quake 3 source as a BASE for the new Doom engine. All the basic internal crap that would remain the same doesn't need to be re-coded. They're upgrading it as they go along.

Doom3 will use a NEW engine written from SCRATCH. Carmack is using the Quake3 engine to TEST rendering techniques like Bumpmapping and stuff, so he can work that out before he starts on the new one.

DiSTuRBeD said:

Doom3 will use a NEW engine written from SCRATCH. Carmack is using the Quake3 engine to TEST rendering techniques like Bumpmapping and stuff, so he can work that out before he starts on the new one.

You people don´t know how to read?? Carmack sayed that he is working over Q3 engine because there is no need to rewrite the same things over and over. Everything you people want in the engine, the graphic renderer sub-routine, is being coded from scratch. Do you think it is wise to for example, rewrite the functionality of the "new game" button, or the "bind" command, or how DirectInput & DirectPlay devices are activated?

To everyone who post a thread with the same argument, STOP!!! I´ve seen this question no less than 9 times here. C´mon, Carmack never made a lousy engine, leave the man do what he knows to do.

Guest Erick20

yeah no doubt, I mean, whats wrong with the Q3 engine anyway? It's fast, powerful, and looks/feels/plays excellently. It's perfect for any FPS, and that includes doom3.

You guys must be worried that because D3 will use the Q3 engine, it will somehow feel like you're playing Q3. Not so. ID'll make any modifications they need to make on the engine to get it right.

Don't worry!