Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy

And another thing about LoveCraft...

Ok, here is a question I have alway's wanted to know:
What is "Quake"? What I mean by the question, is the fact that Quake's stroy IS linked with DooM, and I know that, becuase Quake has the BFG, and a couple of the monsters were swiped into Quake, from DooM, ex. the "Demon" {feind}, and the Chain Gun Guy.
Another thing, in what way shape, or form, is Quake1's story linked with QuakeII's? I understand that the demons in Quake1 came from Stroggos to get humans for their Cyborgs {which apear in QuakeII}, but what is the deal with that whole mid-evil dimension-x thing, and that "ShubNigeroth" living tree thing at the end??? id Software really needs to get the story strait! It's confusing!

i have 1 question involving the original quake, how the hell do you beat the last boss, that tree thing. i couldnt shoot it to death and i looked all over for some kind of puzzle, but nuthin. how is it done¿

Did you ever notice that little thingie floating around? That's a teleport destination. You wait until it floats inside the body of the monster, then teleport in to telefrag it.

Well, Quake and DooM tell the same story: Bad Dimension send his minions to destroy Earth, mighty heroe destroy all.

Q1 and Q2 have no relation.

Shub-Niggurat is the Lord of the Quake dimension. The name it´s based on a Lovecraft demon.

You fight against completely different enemies in Quake1 and Quake2, they are not relevant to each other. In Quake1 you gateslip into a hellish dimension to fight against demonic invadors (that´s indeed similar to Doom), but in Quake2 it´s a conflict with the cyborg race from Stroggos and pure SciFi without any occult touch. It´s like fighting one time against invading vikings and the next time against invading huns :)

Zaldron said:

Well, Quake and DooM tell the same story: Bad Dimension send his minions to destroy Earth, mighty heroe destroy all.

Shub-Niggurat is the Lord of the Quake dimension. The name it´s based on a Lovecraft demon.

The Lovecraft thing is interesting. Do you know more about the inspirations of some Doom and Quake figures? Doom is inspired by the "Alien" movies and Giger stuff I think.

The only similarities/relationships between Quake 1 and Quake 2, asides from them both being FPSs, is the word "Quake".

Zaldron said:

the quake boss is based on something from lovecraft? what? i havent read it yet what ever it is i have the best of howard philips lovecraft (of course i do im a metallica fan so im interested in what inspires them) what story was it?

I also have some stories from Lovecraft. That´s where i saw that Cthulu, Shub-Niggurath, Shog-Sottoth (kinda), Kadath and others daemons often used in gaming/books/movies are his ideas. About Shub, i don´t know if there is an actual story where it plays a major role. I seen his name several times in some extracts from the Necronomicon among these tales.

If you ever read the DooM novels, you would realise that the Narrator, Flynn Taggart {author Dafydd ab Hugh} talks a LOT about LoveCraft, and other tales from that type of writers, but mainly LoveCraft.

Oh yeah, and now I know the story to Quake:

The Strogg created a demension, the demension of the DooMed. They had the deamons invade to steal humans/flesh for thier Cyborgs, which make a big appearance in QuakeII.

Where did you get that story?
iD´s story is slighty different, you know.
Watch the Seal of Nehahra movie, that´s the expanded version of the original story.

Tetzlaff said:

The Lovecraft thing is interesting. Do you know more about the inspirations of some Doom and Quake figures? Doom is inspired by the "Alien" movies and Giger stuff I think.

DooM was initially intended to be something like Alien. That´s all i know about the inspirations. You can get some ideas reading the DooM Bible, but there isn´t much stuff in there.

BTW, Tetzlaff, what does mean your pic?

Guest mancuvus
Zaldron said:

Where did you get that story?
iD´s story is slighty different, you know.
Watch the Seal of Nehahra movie, that´s the expanded version of the original story.

where could i get that movie and what is lovecraft????

Zaldron said:

DooM was initially intended to be something like Alien. That´s all i know about the inspirations. You can get some ideas reading the DooM Bible, but there isn´t much stuff in there.

BTW, Tetzlaff, what does mean your pic?

My pic? Well, I have to admit that I dont really know, I just took it from this forum´s icons library. I liked it because it seems to be some occult sign...hmm, maybe I will find out what it means.

mancuvus said:

where could i get that movie and what is lovecraft????

H. P. Lovecraft and Edgard Allan Poe are considered as the best writers of horror literature. Almost all Lovecraft tales are linked to some kind of unholy-bible known as the Necronomicon.
This book talks about some evil interdimensional demi-gods.

The Nehahra movie is in PlanetQuake, in the Quake 1 section.
It´s a machinima, so you need Q1 installed. 90 MB download, 300 uncompressed.

Guest anarchist_bob

Firstly I want to say how bloody crap the storyline is to QUAKE 3 !!!! Grrrrrr, what's it all about anyway? And what's the relevence is Slash gliding along clumsily at the end? Anyway.

I have recently been looking through the old Quake and Doom manuals, at the story sections, herer's what I found, and here's what I made of it:

The first game containing the word Quake, was indeed, called Quake (duh). The sotry was that you were a marine guy working in a secret installation. In this installation is one of those slip-gate devices that were about in Doom (remember? those big-ol' teleporter thingies that first alerted the mysterious multi-dimensional creatures to our technological capabilities). A creature, or possibly creatures has/have been inserting 'death squads' into "our bases". This shows that the humans have made more of the slip-gates (stupid gits) and have them strategically positioned around the globe, perfect in fact for an invasion from through them. Because the humans dont actually ubnderstand how these things work yet, they are very prone to attack.

A multidimensional creature is suspected to have been inserting these squads, code-named 'Quake'. This indicates that the relevance of this race of multidimensional creatures, referrred to in Quake3 as 'The Vadrigar' is significant throughout the series of Doom/Quake games, though I may be wrong.

Some people have commented in the past on why exactly the symbols of the pentagram and demons are in the games, "possibly because iD couldn't come up with any original ideas?" they say. I dont believe so. I think that these referrences to the occult are infact indicators that the Vadrigar have been here before, that they are the ones who made these symbols, and that they have been watching us for some time.

I'd like to know what anyone else thinks about this take on the story. And seeing as I havent read any of the books yet, if any of my ideas contradict any of the views shown in some of the game-based books.

Maybe this is just the view of a game that a 14 year old kid who calls imself anarchist_bob plays too often, or maybe it's the messeage bein passed on through the brains of the young!!!

lol, I know it's just a game, no wierd emails pleez.