Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deadnail

KILL BILL GATES WITH A RUSTY TUNA CAN LID

Well, how can I put this?

I used my bullshit Gateway Recovery CD to format and reinstall Windows once I had everything backed up nicely. Oddly, it seemed to format in about ten seconds but then intalled 98SE so I didn't complain.

It didn't give me a choice of Windows components.

When I got back booted again I loaded up Win98_53.cab and 54.cab and dumped all the missing files (FUCK YOU MICROSOFT REPAIR PEOPLE, SUFFOCATE IN MY SHIT) back into the System directories.

I started getting the 28 meg IE update, and then began reinstalling all of the family's bullshit.

Then it happened.

While reinstalling the odd little things we get emailed folder, it asked if it wanted to overwrite existing files. But that folder didn't exists, and that's when it hit me.

It didn't really format, just did it quickly. The hard drive wasn't wiped to all zeros, and some files were left behind.

Hell, even when I went into my Windows customization screen and chose a shitload more components to install it didn't need the Win98 CD.

Bah, fuck it, what harm can they do, I said smugly as things installed one after another after another.

Then I got around to installing all of my VBasic runtimes and Xing and restarted again.

Funny blue screen error.
Half of my registry was missing.
THE SYSTEM IS HALTED.

No shit. You needed a P3 and 256 Megs of RAM to figure that one out, dickhead?

There was one mass of data to back up still, seven CD-R's worth, that I just hid on the other harddrive so I wouldn't have to burn for three hours.

Of course, I just spent five hours reinstalling progs and games onto the other harddrive.

So I grinned, bore it, and formatted it and then swapped harddrives and adjusted the jumpers.

I fucking hate Western Digital right now. I just might buy another one of their harddrives, as soon as they eat the peanuts out of my shit.

Even with the jumper positions switched and rank swapped on the IDE ribbon the damn thing is still somehow forcing itself to be drive C. At least my BIOS let me boot from D. So I gathered a plan of recovery... install win98 to D, back up everything on CD-R no matter how long it takes, FORMAT BOTH FUCKING DRIVES TWICE, MY WAY WITH FORMAT.COM, and reinstall 98SE.

This plan is in effect right now.

All of my system and os files are on drive D. My desktop and program files are on drive C. My computer is only a hair away from going totally thermal, requiring a full wipe clean just to boot. I've got years worth of data to back up.

My Adaptec CD somehow found a rift into the void of space and time. An Imp is probably using it for target practice. So now I'm downloading a demo of Nero and hopefully it will function enough to make the data cds. If not, fuck it, I know a serial site that will work for a few hours.

God, what a fun day.

Stay up 30 hours, constantly running back and forth to the PC to make sure it's still downloading and or installing, and the damn thing just fell apart.

Now I've only got another 18 hours until work, including 10 for sleep, and I haven't even gotten around to reformatting yet!

Fuck Western Digital.
Fuck Gateway and their lame ass custom motherboards.

God I need to assemble my Duron 800 real soon. I'm getting Half-Life withdrawl syndrome.

Oh, and to keep this somewhat about Doom 3, I hope it incorporates splitscreen LAN deathmatching (two computers, possibly up to 8 players) and force feedback for the guys with them new vibrating controllers.

I don't want to wait 8 years after it's released for the source to become public and then wait another year for splitscreen deathmatching to be implemented.

deadnail said:

I hope it incorporates splitscreen LAN deathmatching (two computers, possibly up to 8 players) and force feedback for the guys with them new vibrating controllers.

Nice... I hope ID really starts listening to us... These are good ideas deady... But wouldn't it be cool if you had a splitscreen option for just ONE computer too... ??

Hey, it 'll probably slow things down a lot... so nevermind...

Guest fraggle`

Everyone knows windows sucks. If you dont like it, you dont have to run it.

Disorder said:

Nice... I hope ID really starts listening to us... These are good ideas deady... But wouldn't it be cool if you had a splitscreen option for just ONE computer too... ??

Hey, it 'll probably slow things down a lot... so nevermind...

It works fine in Legacy, and Dreamcast games.

fraggle` said:

Personally I like BeOS, and I'm fond of that one Linux that looks like Win98, I think it's Somba. Redhat eats me.

Then again, this, unfortunately, is my FAMILY computer so I have to keep Windoze on here 'cuz that's what they all like and are to used to for a change.

Also, most of my games are Win only.

deadnail said:

It works fine in Legacy, and Dreamcast games.

Playing split screen legacy is fun. I hooked up my nintendo 4 controller to my comp and it is actually fun playing Doom on a gamepad. I have another controller hooked up but since legacy only does one joystick at a time, oh well. Its a good alternative to slow connections and lag, plus its one of the only ways you can play co-op decently

Guest Vertigo1

Yes. N64 controllers on the PC rule! especially for FPS's like Doom.

Warning, warning!! There have been consumer alerts out against Western Digital. Buyer Beware! In fact, be very cautious of any company name with the word "Digital" in it. Example, "Best Stop Digital", and "Digital And Audio" are the same company, pretending to be different compainies, scamming innocent computer and electronics users with their suspiciously low prices. Anyway, I feel your pain. Hang in there. A year from now, you'll be thoroughly enjoying these memories.

Guest Epiphany

You have just described the ordeal that every computer user has to go through if they reinstall windows on a regular basis and or if they bought a dodgy brand name computer with non-standard componentry.

Guest doomgod12345
fraggle` said:

yea i know that windows shit too, that is why i am also learning linux and puting it on one of my hard drives here very soon

Epiphany said:

You have just described the ordeal that every computer user has to go through if they reinstall windows on a regular basis and or if they bought a dodgy brand name computer with non-standard componentry.

Well, if Gateway is a dodgy name brand then who the Hell does that leave? Dell and Hewlett Packard? Everything in my PC is name brand... that's why it doesn't crash every ten minutes.

I'm just glad that everything is basically going straight right now. I fear next year.

Haven't heard from you in a while, Epiphany. We need to harass more people in here. :)

Vertigo1 said:

Yes. N64 controllers on the PC rule! especially for FPS's like Doom.

How did you get your N64 controller to work on your PC? Is there some sort of adapter or something??

Guest Spectre

Everyone in here thinks Windows sucks because they are running 98 or 98se. WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE, GET WINDOWS 2000 PROFESSIONAL!!! I swear I haven't shut down or restarted my computer but one or two times since I got it almost a month and a half ago, and it's still runnin' like a champ!

And don't listen to whoever says that it's not made for games. They simply don't know what they're talking about. All you have to do to run your games on WIN2K is download the latest patches for your games and the latest drivers for all your hardware and your set.

deadnail said:

Run a Yahoo search on 'Adaptoid' ...

Sweet!! You guys rock! Now all I have to do is get a new computer, buy this thing and figure out how to keep my wife from getting mad...

Spectre said:

Everyone in here thinks Windows sucks because they are running 98 or 98se. WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE, GET WINDOWS 2000 PROFESSIONAL!!! I swear I haven't shut down or restarted my computer but one or two times since I got it almost a month and a half ago, and it's still runnin' like a champ!

And don't listen to whoever says that it's not made for games. They simply don't know what they're talking about. All you have to do to run your games on WIN2K is download the latest patches for your games and the latest drivers for all your hardware and your set.

Some of the games I play are of the older, more entertaining kind. They don't have upgrade patches for Windows 2000, and hence, don't work.