Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy

Over the weekend >:)

Well, over the weekend I got to thinking.
I remeber hearing the fact that DooM3 {2ooo} was considered many times after Quake, but always canned. Now think about QuakeII.
QuakeII has NOTHING to do with QuakeI, but has EVERYTHING to do with DooM! Nothing in QuakeII is from QuakeI, but here is a list of stuff from DooM:
The story easily fits in after DooMII, not Quake.
It has EVERY DooM weapon and more, not Quake.
Has more "DooMish" monsters than Quake.
The levels are more DooM, example exploding barrels, caves, acid, water, lava, space, bases. Not Quake.

So what the Hell was my point in this at all?? This:
See, I think QII was originally going to be DooM2k, but then decided to call it QII, for VERY unknown reasons.

Jer, you really have been into the substances haven't you.. I mean drugs are fun, but they mess you over...

And especially if you're sniffing solvents, methyl-ethyl ketone is not your friend...

S./

P.S. your points seem somewhat valid

and misguided at best. Sorry Jer, I must disagree with you here.

Quake 1 was originally intended to be a midievil hack'n'slash type game. However, they canned that and changed it to a single marine (or merc, the story is that thin) who packs his interdimensional war supplies (an autoloading shotgun and an already bloody ax, don't do the math it will make your brain hemmorage) and goes after Shub Niggurath, the mother of all demons. I guess they got scared no one would go for a Raven style game and went back to killing satanic demons with shotguns.

Quake II has nothing to do with Doom. Nothing.
First of all, 100% of all satanic references were removed.
All enemies are cyborgs, not demons or zombies.
The level design was more reminiscent of Doom than Quake, because Quake was caves and castles and Doom was bases and industrial sectors. However, this is because of all the flack they recieved for Quake's poor level design. After all, when you're taking out an alien military installation you have to go through their bases.

The weapons have always been the same.
Weak pistol.
Pair of shotguns.
Machinegun.
Rocket launcher with new grenade launcher.
Fast firing electric weapon.
Big ass electric weapon.

And as for the exploding barrels and stuff, Quake was so rushed they didn't have time to implement them. They should be in Quake 3, why do all of these new faggoty multiplay only games have no scenic dangers other than pits or fire?

Quake II would not have been called Doom2K, because it was released a few years before 2000. =Þ

There are VERY known reasons why it had nothing to do with Doom.
People were tired of the overused satanic references.
People wanted a decent single player game, and still do.

I said SOMEWHAT.. bah don't you listen deady?

It's kinda like those crack headed TLC programs where they have these guys who have devoted their lives to some crack-pot theory, like aliens built the sphinx and pyramids, and they have just devoted so much of their time to coming up with enough "research" that their point actually seems valid..

S./

hey im not a crackhead and i belive that it wouldve been neardamn impossible for the egyptions to build the pyramids in so little time with that many people, i dont think that many people even existed in that time, or at least not in egypt. and those people who say aliens didnt exist are either dumb or they just dont have any knowledge of it. there is too much evidence for aliens not to exist, besides what makes us so special to be alone? (besides that we were designed in gods image) there has to be other out there. tehre is no way in hell were alone it just doesnt maek sense

You see, you're getting suckered in too... run, run while you still can.. ;->

Naw, I just used that as an example, and I suppose its not one of the seriously far fetched ones that I have heard.. how about the one where, in fact, the Knights Templar were actually a satanic cult, now that one's whack, so is the guy who proposed it, he's devoted his entire life to it.. its nutz..

My apologies, Hassan, for implying that you, or anyone else, (except my good friend deady) was a crack-head, what you propose is VALID its nice to see that people think in here, unlike other forums.. (I'm gonna hax0r joo @$$).. and of course aliens exist... jeeze.. ;->

S./

deadnail said:

No! Didn't you listen?
#1:Didn't you ever read the story of DooM!?
The deamons in DooM ARNT deamons. The Aliens from the Strogg {probably used to be called "Mars" by id} home planet, also known as the "Freds", sent demonic creatures to earth, thinking it was still the deamon scared mid-evil days. And the "Deamons" brought thier "reality" with them, such as the pentagrams and stuff.
#2: The BFG10k damnit! Yeah, BFG, that sure came from Quake1.

masterhassan said:

hey im not a crackhead and i belive that it wouldve been neardamn impossible for the egyptions to build the pyramids in so little time with that many people, i dont think that many people even existed in that time, or at least not in egypt. and those people who say aliens didnt exist are either dumb or they just dont have any knowledge of it. there is too much evidence for aliens not to exist, besides what makes us so special to be alone? (besides that we were designed in gods image) there has to be other out there. tehre is no way in hell were alone it just doesnt maek sense

No no, masterhassen! Remember? It was a group of men that pulled GIANT thousands of tons briks, and walk "up" the Pyramid with them! Dah! {Yeah, my ass. The government knows full n' damn well the ancients had communications with things other than humankind. The government even tried to hide a picture of a car, a helacopter, and a ufo, that they found written inside of a Pyramid. And they also tested the carbon in the Sphynx, and proved that it is so old, that it was there before Egypt was a desert, and Dinosaurs were still active.}

SoKatH said:

Jer, you really have been into the substances haven't you.. I mean drugs are fun, but they mess you over...

And especially if you're sniffing solvents, methyl-ethyl ketone is not your friend...

S./

P.S. your points seem somewhat valid

Your a fucken jack ass. Your the one smoking Crystal Meth you dick. I was proving that QII is more like DooM, then it is QuakeI.

Guest Cartoon

I was just wondering, have you even played Quake?

"The levels are more DooM, example exploding barrels, caves, acid, water, lava, space, bases. Not Quake."

Ummm, last time I played Quake there was everything you mentioned (except space) in it. If you've ever played Quake you'd know these things. Sorry if it seems like I'm nitpicking, just wanted to point out the mistakes in your post.

Deadnail, you said,

"And as for the exploding barrels and stuff, Quake was so rushed they didn't have time to implement them."

They are indeed in the game, just not implemented correctly. For example: if you shoot an exploding barrel with your Rocket Launcher, the rockets explosion overrides the more powerful barrel explosion (in Quake rocket explosions are 120 damage, unless the rocket belongs to you in which case it does half damage, barrels are 160 damage). Again, sorry if it seems like I'm nitpicking, just pointing out the errors.

masterhassan said:

This is a reply to you and Jeremy... who are both crackheads.
First of all... let me say that I think that in the vastness of space, there are millions of planets and yes most likely a lot of them have some sort of life on them. Out of millions of planets I bet even some advanced civilizations inhabit them. BUT I doubt any have even come near our solar system. One reason is that it would take hundreds of thousands of years to travel between planets even at the speed of light. There is possible life in our solar system besides earth. I'm talking about Jupiter's moon, Europa, where a large liquid ocean (most likely water) is beneath the surface. Life could be there swimming around as we speak, but the probability is that is basically microbes.

As for the Egyptian thing, how long do you think it took them to build them? 2 months? Those frickin things took more than 20 years to build. Hell I'm talking about the small ones. The large pyramids took around 50! And no slaves did not get breaks and go home to their families every night who ask "How was your day?" "Oh great! We got a block in today with my team!". Thousands of people worked practically all day everyday with little to eat and little time to sleep.

And yes they did move the blocks up the pyramid. One block would take practically an entire day with ropes and hundreds of people working together, being whipped if they slowed down.

As for the cars, helicoptors, and ufo hyrogliphics... wtf if that! Okay so some archeaologist found a Pontiac Sunfire on the wall? And a helicoptor! Which didn't even exist! Oh and the carbon dating 'they' used on the pyramids found that the pyramids were built when the dinosaurs were active? Who told you that? Some idiot paranoid freak?

Jesus people think a little logically before you believe things. Oh and if you have a website somewhere with this information, please tell me. I would like to see this bullshit that some idiots are crapping out.

They dont need to move at the speed of light.
Maybe they found parpetual motion, or mabey a way to stabalise wormholes {when blackholes and whitholse have link together}. Or mabey just a damn fast ship and the possibility that the planet is near us, just beyond reach of our solar system. And if were idiots EXPLIAN THIS: Mayan and Aztec runways. Pyramids with blocks of stone too heavy to carry, especially at that angle. Explian the carving in the Pyramid of the car, the helicoptor, and the UFO. Explian how the secret government lears all thier "secrets" from. EXPLAIN ALL OF THOSE, and explian them detailed, not just some quick excuse. They came here becuase we used to live on Mars. Dont get me wrong, its so obviouse. There are Pyramids on Mars, and a big human face, a pentagon shaped building, a Sphinx. But we were really advanced in technology, but then an asteriod came. Then "they" came to help us, and evacuate us to saftey; Earth. Whay do "they" look like they are described? Big black eyes: Black lids protecting them from extreme amounts of light, there could be a close star to thier planet. Why are they grey? Becuase of discolor {pigment} do to extreme light and gama radiation. PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME VERY DETAILED.

Listen to me Jer, the three pyramids at Giza, built by Menkaur (Smallest), Khafre (midsize) and Khufu (biggest), as was earlier stated took over twenty years to build. They were built using manpower and they could get those stones up that angle, its been proven. And as for these carvings, (??) where did you get this idea. An interesting feature about all the pyramids at this site, and many of the others throughout Egypt is that they contain no carvings/heiroglyphs/whatever. The only exception is the great gallery in the great pyramid @ Giza (Khufu's) it has stars painted on the ceiling and that's all.. While there are many mysteries surrounding the pyramids, INCLUDING, how they were built so well, INCLUDING why the Giza pyramids seem to line up with orion's belt, INCLUDING, why the sphinx is actually more than 10, 000 years old, but NOT INCLUDING ANYTHING pertaining to cars, UFOs or helicopters.... Of this I am certain, whether or not any of the other civilizations depict these things I can't be so sure, but Egypt? no.

How did this evolve from quake 2 being like doom? Was that my fault?

S./

Jeremy said:

Your a fucken jack ass. Your the one smoking Crystal Meth you dick. I was proving that QII is more like DooM, then it is QuakeI.

Settle, settle... Keep it calm.. I'm just messin' with you bud, don't get all riled up, have you been hanging around deady a lot?

S./

Jeremy said:

Ok here's where it gets even dumber. First of all, let me tell you that I practically have the knowledge of a first year university student in astronomy and I'm 16. There is no such thing as a "white hole", whatever the hell that is. Since there isn't even evidence of wormholes today (it's still just a theory), I doubt Egyptians would know anything about that stuff, let alone practically any foriegn object in space.

The closest planet to our solar system that we know of is VERY far away. You would have to travel 100's of times faster than the speed of light to get here. Hell, if you went the speed of light in Mars' direction, you would take twenty minutes. Mars is damn far away, let alone the next planet.

Speaking of Mars... there are NO pyramids on that planet... I don't know where you got that information. The "big human face" was a result of erosion on a mountain. This was discovered a few decades ago and caused a scare to paranoid freaks. It looks like a big sand pile now.

Pentagon shaped building? So what the U.S. government has a backup headquarters on Mars? Show me a picture of tell me where you got your bullshit information.

If there was a "Sphinx" on Mars, then it would be huge news throughout the world. Hell NASA doesn't discover everything. Modern observatories could probably pick it out. The U.S. does not run the world and have all these secrets. That's only in the movies.

And who saw these 'they' people? Did the Egyptians draw pictures of them on walls that are as old as the dinosaurs? Gamma radiation would not turn your skin grey, it would kill you. And there's distances from stars where planets become so hot that life cannot form. These are the extremes of how close and how far a planet can be from a certain star where tempuratures would be just right.

Yes people CAN lift those big blocks of stone. It has been proven. Keep in mind this took decades and the slaves worked everyday all day for the rest of their lives building these. Egyptians were not stupid. They saw stars too, you know. There were some astronomers in that time and they found out that the heavens moved with the days. The pyramids were basically aligned in this way because orion's belt was a very prominent feature in the sky.

"Explian the carving in the Pyramid of the car, the helicoptor, and the UFO. Explian how the secret government lears all thier "secrets" from."

Ok buddy where the hell did you hear about this bullshit car helicoptor crap? And who told you? Some idiot on a website who also thinks that the government is watching us 24/7? I don't understand what you're trying to say when you're requesting to explain 'how the secret government lears all their secrets from'.
wtf? Try and write this sentence again.

I'll be waiting

Guest JudgeDooM

And an orange sky like in Doom...mmmhhhh I luv it!!!

Jeremy said:

No! Didn't you listen?
#1:Didn't you ever read the story of DooM!?
The deamons in DooM ARNT deamons. The Aliens from the Strogg {probably used to be called "Mars" by id} home planet, also known as the "Freds", sent demonic creatures to earth, thinking it was still the deamon scared mid-evil days. And the "Deamons" brought thier "reality" with them, such as the pentagrams and stuff.
#2: The BFG10k damnit! Yeah, BFG, that sure came from Quake1.

"The Aliens from the Strogg {probably used to be called "Mars" by id} home planet"

I'm sorry, but what are you on? I will explain the storyline as stated in the games themselves, with various factual details and observations thrown in for good measure.

Mars is a real planet that exists in our solar system (the next one out from Earth), and in the Doom storyline, it is the headquarters of the United Aerospace Corporation (or UAC as we all know it). There is no mention of any alien race inhabiting Mars in the Doom storylines.

Mars has two moons, Phobos and Deimos upon which the UAC have waste treatment plants, which are also used by the military to conduct various secretive (and probably illegal) experiments.

One of these experiments is the dimensional gateways, which are somehow connected to Hell (or at least a dimension that appears to be hell), and a tonne of hellspawn start pouring through, invading both Phobos and Deimos. Deimos is sucked through the gateway into Hell, and the military garrison at the UAC headquarters on Mars (which has no gateway, and is therefore not invaded) is sent to Phobos to try to retake the base and, more importantly, the dimensional gateway. Of course everyone except the Doom guy is killed off, and I'm sure you know the rest...

While the Doom guy is in Hell, the hellspawn somehow figure out how to send the gateways wherever they want, and invade Earth. They possibly invade other human colonised planets and moons (I'm sure there are probably bases and colonies on Earth's moon, on Europa, on Io, etc), but this isn't mentioned.

The vast majority of mankind are slaughtered, but some manage to escape in starships, but some demonic force field prevents them from escaping Earth's atmosphere. The Doom guy of course shuts this down, and they escape (I think it was to a huge space station orbiting Saturn or something).

Eventually the Doom guy manages to cut off Hell's access to Earth by destroying the Icon of Sin (which decimates much of Hell upon crashing to the ground), but of course Hell (or this other dimension) is probably absolutely huge, so there's plenty of it left.

Doom guy returns to Earth (how is never actually explained, maybe another dimensional gateway) and finds that people have begun returning and have started rebuilding the ravaged cities. There are probably plenty of hellspawn left on Earth, but with no possibility of re-inforcements, they would probably pose little threat.

What happens next is either up to mod makers or Doom 3...

Stroggos, on the other hand, is apparently a planet in another solar system inhabited by a vicious race of aliens called the Stroggs (some of whom look suspiciously human like) who sent a fleet of ships to Earth where they conduct various horrible acts, such as eating people. Quake 2 starts off with mankind retaliating in kind by sending a load of drop pods down onto Stroggos' surface. This is the apparently first time humans have been to Stroggos, so there are certainly no human bases on the surface.

At the end of Quake 2, The Quake 2 guy kills off the Stroggs' leader, and throws the already rather chaotic Stroggos into complete anarchy. Also, while this is going on, various other marines are doing various things, like blowing up a Strogg moon base (see the Quake 2 mission packs).

So possibly the events of Quake 2 take place after those of Doom, but the hellspawn and the Stroggs are in no way related. I would also point out that the armour worn by the Doom and Quake 2 guys look rather different, and that if Earth in the Doom universe had the huge armada of warships they have in Quake 2, I doubt very much the Earth could have been as easily ravaged by the hellspawn as it was.

For your next assignment... You must link the Commander Keen and Wolfenstein 3D stories.

Psyonisis said:

Note: the following is not neccessarily my opinion, I am merely relaying what select others believe.

White holes are theorised by a few scientists to exist, but have never actually been observed. Black holes haven't been observed either (well, due to their very nature they can't be), but their effects on nearby light has been.

The reason some people believe white holes to exist is because "for every action, there must be an equal and opposite re-action".

Where exactly does the matter, light, etc (some say that they suck in time itself) that is sucked into black holes go? There is a limit to the amount of matter that can be compressed into a single space, so perhaps somewhere else in the universe, the matter, etc is spewed out again. However, just as black holes are incredibly dark, white holes would be incredibly light, meaning that if there was one nearby, we would easily be able to spot it even with the naked eye.

Going off on a tangent for a while, you may have heard of the new theory going round, that everywhere in the universe that consists of a void (i.e. space), there is background energy. It is believed by various experts that when you get a big enough void (i.e. no planets or stars nearby which upset the universal constant by distorting time and space - yes matter, or more specifically gravity, does distort time) then it causes an explosion converting the energy into matter.

This explains how the universe was formed, but also destroys the "big crunch" theory, that in several billion, billion, billion (etc) years the universe will contract into a single point and cease to exist. With this new theory, the universe will expand forever (Yes, forever. Not just a very, very, very long time, but forever), and eventually the big bang will happen again, but will all the old matter still existing, just a very long way away (as the universe is expanding in a sphere, galaxies in the existing universe will also continue to get further apart).

What does this all have to do with white holes though? Well, maybe black holes just convert everything into this energy instead (a mini-reversal of the big bang), which gets around the "for every action there must be an equal and opposite re-action" idea, meaning that white holes wouldn't exist.

Jeremy said:

Black holes and wormholes are completely different things.

Black holes (which are known to exist) suck in matter, light, and possibly even time. If you were sucked in, your component matter would be crushed to an incredibly small size. If white holes do exist (see my other post for thoughts on this), trust me, you wouldn't be alive when you were spewed out.

Wormholes (which are only theorised to exist) are generally believed to "fold space" (only the biggest geniuses understand how this is supposed to work, it would probably make people like us' brains hurt), meaning that two points in the universe are linked together as if they're right next to each other, even though they may in reality be millions of light years away.

Talking of the speed of light, it is believed in the new theory that I mentioned in my other post, that the speed of light is not constant throughout the universe, and can be affected by time and gravity. When what we know as the universe was formed, the speed of light would have been much, much, much faster than it is now.

So perhaps there is some technology that could somehow change the speed of light. If there is, we as a species are nowhere near discovering it. If you want to understand the speed of light better, try watching the new series' of Star Trek when they explain Warp travel.

"But surely Warp travel is against the restricted to speed of light idea?" Actually, it's not. Warp travel involves the ship entering another dimension (there is no evidence to support the existence of other dimensions, especially ones where the properties of reality are different, but bear with me here) where the speed of light is a lot faster than ours, thus they can travel much faster. They are still restricted however, to warp 9.99 or something like that.

When they approach this speed, time itself slows down. Were they to actually reach the speed of light, they would be stuck in the same point of time and space forever. This is possibly what would happen in reality if you were to get to the speed of light.

ST: Voyager lately has introduced "trans-warp" travel. This appears to be a series of artificially created conduits in another dimension where the speed of light is incredibly high. There's all kind of weird floating things outside these conduits, perhaps this is what light would look like if it we were travelling faster than it). If mankind were to find a way to change the speed of light in the future, this may well be how it is done (albeit not in another dimension), i.e. creating temporary, artificial corridors in space.

BTW As a final point, yes, I know there's an episode of Voyager where Tom Paris and Janeway reach Warp 10 in a shuttle, but do you really want to turn into a purple crocodile as they do? =p

NiGHTMARE said:

Black holes have been observed indirectly, which I mean they found huge spots where gamma radiation is spewing out and a final flicker of light is seen where a star used to be.

As for "every action there is an equal and opposite reaction", that refers to forces. Black holes are not a force, but a collapsed object. If I have a black pencil, a white one does not have to exist. White holes seem like a very good idea though. Perhaps a black hole really is a wormhole and white holes are the other end. Oh and matter can be compressed VERY small. Pulsar stars are the most dense masses known. A teaspoon of their matter would weigh as much as 100 million elephants. If you were to drop it on the earth, it would go through to the other side, be pulled back in the centre, and oscilate back and fourth for a while before it finally rests in the centre.

As for the void thing... I haven't heard of that really. The universe is getting sparser every year. I have never heard about an explosion happening when there's nothing.

The big crunch theory is starting to die down, because evidence supports that the universe would never collapse on it's own gravity.

Oh and one last thing on white holes... one thing I think about is quasars. These are incredibily bright objects billions of light years away and they can be viewed from earth. These might be the white holes. BUT the problem with looking at things in the universe is that the farther away you look, the farther back in time you look. This means that quasars probably don't exist anymore because they are practically as old as the universe. I dunno... this boggles my mind too much lol

NiGHTMARE said:

I dont know why you wasted your time typing this. I already knew all of that.
And of course it never said anything about aliens inhabiting Mars. The humans didn't know. And hell, Strogg still could have been the home planet of the Aliens that sent the Deamons to earth. Besides, look how much they are linke...BFG10k?? Heavy Weapon Dude?? DooM atmospher??

NiGHTMARE said:

Wow, I guess you dont know anything about blackholes {which are known to exist}.
#1: a Black Hole does NOT suck in matter. The only way for things to get stuck in the black hole, is if they cross the "Horizon". The Blackhole is a star that has collapsed on itself, the BlackHole has a thing called the Horizon, and the closer you get to it, the slow light seems to travel, and once you hit the horizon, the radiation freezes, leaving an image of what entered in that area forever. Once you enter the horizon, it takes eight minutes to get to the "near" center. First, you feel an uncomfortable tug southward{even though there really arent any directions in space}. Then northward. and soon, after eight minutes, you get ripped to shred, and each shred gets ripped up, and ripped up, and...until it becomes "nothing". Also, once you enter the horizon, you see everything on the outside, but what on the outside cannot see you.
~~~~~
Worm Holes. Worm Holes are fromed when a BlackHole and a Whitehole are at relevant axes, but they can still be millions or billions of light years apart. Once you enter the worm hole, you enter the blackhole, and immediatly exit out of the whitehole. But even if we found a "stable" whithole, we would need a VERY strong ship to withstand the extreme amounts of gama radiation intering the wormhole.
~~~~~

Psyonisis said:

Uhm, sorry to say, but me to buddy. Space is my proffesion. I know nearly everything about it. I think alot. I can probably name any "foriegn" object if you asked. I KNOW ALOT.

Okay, so Space is your 14 year old profession ne?

1. What do you call something with no matter in it?
2. Exactly, in mps, what is the speed of light?
3. Do solar flares have any effect on planets as far away as ours?
4. Does the moon have anything to do with our oceans?
5. What's the definition of a meteor?
6. What is Jupiter mostly made out of?
7. Could a human survive for even a few seconds in space?

I'll grade you on not only accuracy, but by the speed of your reply as well.

Jeremy said:

Been in a lot of black holes recently have you?
I'd explain the actual theories of black holes and singularities to you, but obviously, you a) would understand them or b) think that they were wrond (ever been to a library bucko?). Read books. And there has never been conclusive proof of a black hole, there are places in space where it is speculated they exist, but they've never actually PROVED THERE IS ONE! So stop trying to sound intelligent, because in doing so, and being wrong, you're sounding ever dumber

S./