Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nexxus

Thoughts on D3 from a new guy to the forums

Guest Nexxus

Greetings all. I shall cut straight to the chase.

I would have to agree with the enemies and such that have been posted on this forum so i shall not add anything pertaining to them.

Story: Aliens or Hellspawn
Well personally I think Hellspawn is a much cooler and lesser used idea, as it is the alien invasion theme is a bit overused. Even the great Half Life used an unoriginal alien invasion plot. I always thought that the story of Doom was scary as hell, of course i was much younger when i started playing it. I mean whats scary, ET or Satan?? Either way it dosent matter much as the whole Doom experience dosent really rely on story elements ;)

Weapons: Realistic, non-realistic, combo
Well, remember folks, Doom was very unrealistic. We had shotgun, pistol, chaingun. No fancy numbers, no special hollow point rounds or caliber bullets. Just bullets and shells. There are plenty o realistic games out there, Counterstrike, SoF, etc.. And remember folks were fighting satanic hellspawn (heh or aliens whatever you style) and thats unrealistic in itself so whats wrong with Our Hero toting around a massive laser cannon or 23 barreled shotgun ;) I say bring it on with the fantasy stuff and dont worry about whether or not its a Beretta 92f or a Glock 17 or what the hell ever the numbers are. One thing i would like to see is DYNAMITE!! Pull out a stick o dynamite, light er up, toss er in a big bunch o imps and gibs ahoy for all!!! Of course if you have dynamite youd have to have a small percentage of duds... Toss it in there and run back behind the wall and 3....2....1....1...nothing. Uh oh better get the old shotgun and do it rambo style ;)

Level design:

Realism is important here. And when and if you goto hell it should be very very very fiery with plenty of pentagrams and crucified bodies and stuff like that. And please no warehouses full of crates... geez thats the most overused them ive ever seen.

NPC's:

Great potential if done in moderation and with some thought. No Superflies or teammates or anything similiar please as that would really kill the loneliness factor that made Doom so damn freaky. I want to see stuff like this: You come across a closet door and open it to find a marine huddled up in the corner sobbing and bloodied with a tattered and ripped uniform. He screams and ducks his head awating death by an impy fireball or something, but he looks up and sees a fellow marine (you) and a look of confused relief comes across his face. He smiles with an obvious joy of being saved then all of a sudden begins to cry and ducks his head in his hands and starts mumbling something in a meak and broken spirit tone (the voice acting would have to be very good hear) about the sergeant and all the push ups. He is obviously delerious and suddenly he stands up and screams "The key!!! THE KEY IS IN THE WEAPONS LOCKER... IT OPENS TH..." Then all of a sudden a bloody hole appears in his stomach and he grabs his leaking guts and falls dead to the floor to reveal a shot gun sticking through a hole in the wall behind him. The ensuing fight involves a few imps and a sargeant breaking through the wall. Scripted scenese like this would really add to the freak factor of the game if done with good voice acting and thought.

Any way these are my thoughts and maybe a few suggestions. Keep the flames to a minimum ;)

What's scarier: Predator vs The Little Vampire?

I say the weapons should be half based on real ones and half fantasy.

The point of the futuristic weaponry is that Doom takes place hundreds of years into the future. Using dynamite in Doom would be like using an arquebus today!

Crates <- Kill me now.

Scripted sequences were great in Half-Life. Remember the scene in Power Up, where the soldier was dragged into the wall by a bull squid and it broke his leg over his back?

Bah, no flaming. Your message was somewhat intelligent. Spend some time reading through our previous posts and see what we've already established.

As deadnail says, you should look our previous posts. You´ll find plenty of us thinking in the same way.

And yes, you´re right about the voice acting, a perfectly done voice of insanity or terror can boost the atmosphere a lot.

deadnail said:

What's scarier: Predator vs The Little Vampire?

I say the weapons should be half based on real ones and half fantasy.

The point of the futuristic weaponry is that Doom takes place hundreds of years into the future. Using dynamite in Doom would be like using an arquebus today!

Crates <- Kill me now.

Scripted sequences were great in Half-Life. Remember the scene in Power Up, where the soldier was dragged into the wall by a bull squid and it broke his leg over his back?

Bah, no flaming. Your message was somewhat intelligent. Spend some time reading through our previous posts and see what we've already established.

Some of you need to look at System ShockII. Good game. Scarier than Hell! The main computer takes over a StarShip, and kills everyone, but your in a vile at the time. You awake to find your the only one left. Everything destroyed. The cool thing the ghost. You'll be walking, then all of a sudden, a blueish human figure apears and says stuff like "Could you open this door? I forgot my keys" then it fades away. {There is one more survivor, but she is not with you, you have to find her.

Nexxus said:

You come across a closet door and open it to find a marine huddled up in the corner sobbing and bloodied with a tattered and ripped uniform. He screams and ducks his head awating death by an impy fire

Great idea... I would like to see D3 full of this stuff.
But sometimes, the marines shouldn't have a function at all. They would just have to die in a violent way to scare the hell out of you... Seems like we got ourselves a new talent in the forums...

Jeremy said:

Some of you need to look at System ShockII. Good game. Scarier than Hell! The main computer takes over a StarShip, and kills everyone, but your in a vile at the time. You awake to find your the only one left. Everything destroyed. The cool thing the ghost. You'll be walking, then all of a sudden, a blueish human figure apears and says stuff like "Could you open this door? I forgot my keys" then it fades away. {There is one more survivor, but she is not with you, you have to find her.

There's actually several other survivors. As well as the professor (who I guessed from about the third message to be SHODAN), near the start of the game you see a woman run past a window, pursued by a many zombie. Of course she gets killed.

A scientist in the first level in the R&D sector is also still alive (barely), but of course he dies.

Then there's the French woman (Devereux or something) who you occassionally get messages from. She gets killed too, before you can reach her.

There's also another guy on the Bridge level, who you never actually see alive, but he has logs which are dated on the day it's currently supposed to be.

The captain of the military ship, Diego, is also alive, and you actually get to speak to him in person. He dies too though.

There are two more survivors, Tommy and Rebecca, who you actually see escape. Nice one :) However, it has been suggested that SHODAN has uploaded a copy of itself into Rebecca's brain, which would presumably be the central focus of System Shock 3 if it's ever made (which is highly unlikely seeing as Looking Glass don't exist anymore).

So basically, I reckon Doom 3 should do the same thing. You see the odd other person, but they get killed. Quake 2 also did this, especially in the Ground Zero mission pack (in one level you see a group of about eight marines gibbed by a rocket).