Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dima

New graphics features JC can implement in D3

All the features u think should be imlemented in D3 engine post here!
Here are some of my own: (Note:some already are implemented)
1)Parametric NURBS on models (for better looking characters without blocky bodies like in NOLF).
2)Realtime Volumetric Fogging System (For incredubly cool fog).
3)A new brush controller (entities have limits indeed).
4)Visportals (portals are the future of 3D).
5)Realtime Raytraced Lightning (VERY HARD)
6)Prettier console
7)Since there are no lightmaps I expect the flashlight to cast REALISTIC light unlike the one in DX,HL,NOLF.
8)Light Decay
9)Skin Modifier Skeletal System (For TOTALY cool skins)
10)LOD system (A must)
11)Curved Surfaces on levels and characters
12)Raytraced NURBS (those are NURBS where ALL the visible pixels of the curve at this moment are rendered,making them perfect (inside the limit of your current resolution).
13)True Lighting on maps
14)Real Bumpmapping using T&L hardware
15)Physique-type Skeletal animation
16)Reaction Normals on level's surfaces for realistic collisions between brushes vs brushes, and brushes vc models
17)Ghoul like tech
18)Self shadowing in models
19)Detail Texturing over models (bumpmapping will be overwhelming)
20)Pixel Shaders and Vertex Shaders

You just compile everything we´ve been talking about in previous posts, right Dima? I agree with this stuff, except 19), JC will implement Bumpmapping on models.

It's like multi-texturing. You have a normal texture, some type of material (rock, sand, metal, dirt, etc.) and a bump map, which is a grey-scale drawing. It can be any type of pattern. Then the two get combined. The blackest parts of the grey-scale drawing come out black, and the whitest parts will be transparent. It's like a texture filter. Then you can use, say, rock-shaped bump-maps on a variety of normal textures and so on to make a giant array of textures with only a few graphics.

I had a magazine article explaining this, with illustrations... I'll try and find that eventually.

Actually, that´s detail texturing. Bumpmaping uses the same technique. It combines a standard texture with a grayscale one. But the result is quite different. Darker pixels of the image means more deeper points of the surface, and lighter ones viceversa. This data then is mixed with the surrounding ilumination, providing incredible looking surfaces that resemblance irregularities.

That's what I thought I was saying... guess not. I was pointing out that bump maps don't actually change the structure, only the graphic.