Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
PainElemental

DooM vs Quake

I know if I do that, deadnail would take his guns and kill me, Zaldron wouldn't answer my questions any more and the others would flame me all the time, but I've to do it...

Yeahh, DooM has a hell atmosphere I didn't see in any game. And I hope DooM3 will have it, too. Ok the graphics in DooM aren't good but looking up and down wasn't possible 6 years ago. I hate that I can't jump and look free 'cause sometimes you can't see the monsters. The MP in DooM was the first one but I really think that a game like Q3 which is written especially for MP has a much better one! The maps in DooM are sometimes really good but it's too hard to find all secrets. And the whole game is too hard! I haven't problems with the bots in Q3 on nightmare, but I can't reach the 2nd level in DooM if I play on NM!(hey man, don't laugh at me). Maybe you'll say that you have to be good at DooM to say that it's the best game ever, but Im not.

And to tell the truth I think Quake is better(oh shit why I've said that?)

So go forth an kick ass, soldier!

Guest God of Damn

I like EQ better than Quake or Doom. So what though.
But uh... I guess you "GOT TO" do it like you said?

I would laugh my ass off for days though if Deadnail really did
kill you because you liked Quake better than Doom. Just imagine
the headlines.

PainElemental said:

A crazy DooMer kills a crazy Quaker???

So go forth and kick ass, soldier!

If I was going to throw away my life killing someone else for a trivial reason I would at least have the decency to kill someone who has a life. Why in the fuck would I start with someone like you?

And why the fuck does everyone around here assume I'm homicidal? Jesus, alla this rejection makes me feel like getting my gun... :P

And fuck alla ya, I played Duke Nukem 3D a helluva lot more than I ever played Doom.

Guest flakmagnet

i myself didn't like quake 1, although some of the monsters made for a good fight, beings i didn't like q1 i never got q2, but then q3a came out, i consider it average...

but doom, i mean whats not to love about doom?

**flashback**
staying up allnight on a 386sx with 4mb ram and no soundcard tring to get through the suburbs.... making bot disks just to get it to run.... paying $9.99 a month (i think, i can't remember) to be on dwango... the doom chat rooms that were on DOSaol... throwing lan parties every weekend.... the 3.5in install disk, with 5.25in available....
**end flashback**

it seems that all the newer gamers (ut/q3a/hl/etc) just don't have the *love* for the gaming community and the games like the old doomers did, and quite frankly there are just to many assholes in all the newer games....

all the doom games have always had a spot on my hd..
and now with the sourceports, openGL/direct3d support, mouselook, jumping, etc..
q3a and ut are going back in the closet..

long live all the dooms and all the old doomers.

Guest Dark_Fox

Doom kicks all the quakes arses.. except for QII :)
QIII sucks!
UT is much better. :)

Guest Spectre
deadnail said:

If I was going to throw away my life killing someone else for a trivial reason I would at least have the decency to kill someone who has a life. Why in the fuck would I start with someone like you?

Don't get me wrong here, I respect you Deadnail, but maybe everyone thinks you're homicidal because you brag about wearing a leather trench coat and you always talk about your firearms? Not to mention the fact that you say on your website that you are disgusted with yourself, your life and everything around you.

As for Duke Nukem 3D, I think I probably played it more than Doom and Doom 2 combined back when I first got it. However, now I find myself going back and replaying Doom all the time, while I don't even have Duke 3D installed on my computer.

Doom was the best, Quake1 had very cool athmosphere and style, Quake2 was good, and Q3A is pure multiplayer fun. This shouldn´t mean I find everything id great, but this is the truth...There are enough shooters I don´t liked too much, like Soldier Of Fortune, Sin, Kiss Psycho...

Dark_Fox said:

Doom kicks all the quakes arses.. except for QII :)
QIII sucks!
UT is much better. :)

What´s better with UT? Quake 3 Arena has better graphics, better design, better balanced armory, much bigger variety of models, models have more character, sound is better (exept music), maps are muuuuuuch better, better in-game communication...did I forgot something?
And UT has better team games, Assault and Domination, OKAY, but this is just one single point...

Guest Spectre
Tetzlaff said:

What´s better with UT? Quake 3 Arena has better graphics, better design, better balanced armory, much bigger variety of models, models have more character, sound is better (exept music), maps are muuuuuuch better, better in-game communication...did I forgot something?
And UT has better team games, Assault and Domination, OKAY, but this is just one single point...

UT is just flat out more fun, IMHO.

Guest elyuca
deadnail said:

And why the fuck does everyone around here assume I'm homicidal? Jesus, alla this rejection makes me feel like getting my gun... :P

And fuck alla ya, I played Duke Nukem 3D a helluva lot more than I ever played Doom.

Homocidal, has trenchcoats, guns etc. He plays violent computer games. I dont want to bring back memories for someone, or offend anyone, but, the trenchcoat mafia sounds fairly familiar. Like when those kids took the faces from the Columbine High school year book and put the on the doom monsters to shoot them later.... Then they did their inhuman shootings

I like DOOM because of it's overall atmosphere. The sounds, the monsters. The settings,all seem just right. The cold fear and tension of being in hopeless situation,and all by yourself. Only Doom and Resident Evil and Silent Hill was able to make me feel like that. Pure ice cold fear.

Quake had these elements too, some of the monsters were cool,yet
others didn't seem to fit in with envirment. I loved the shaded "BLACK" areas,but I "HATED" the GOTHIC levels, 12th century mid-evil bullshit!! It just seemed so displaced. I know all the updated engines kicks old quake's ass, but because the people who
made "MALICE"(God bless those guys) I STILL would like to see Doom on the quake(1)engine just to see how it look and move.

Doom had more overall pizazz, Quake just looked alittle better because it was in 3D, and you can jump and look up/down.

Tetzlaff said:

I second that...

tsareppsun said:

I like DOOM because of it's overall atmosphere. The sounds, the monsters. The settings,all seem just right. The cold fear and tension of being in hopeless situation,and all by yourself. Only Doom and Resident Evil and Silent Hill was able to make me feel like that. Pure ice cold fear.

Quake had these elements too, some of the monsters were cool,yet
others didn't seem to fit in with envirment. I loved the shaded "BLACK" areas,but I "HATED" the GOTHIC levels, 12th century mid-evil bullshit!! It just seemed so displaced. I know all the updated engines kicks old quake's ass, but because the people who
made "MALICE"(God bless those guys) I STILL would like to see Doom on the quake(1)engine just to see how it look and move.

Doom had more overall pizazz, Quake just looked alittle better because it was in 3D, and you can jump and look up/down.

<< I STILL would like to see Doom on the quake(1)engine just to see how it look and move. >>

http://www.planetquake.com/doom

But beware. It is utter, utter, utter, utter, UTTER pants.

Someone else made all the levels of the original Doom for Quake 2. That's MUCH better :)

This argument just goes in circles. Someone says Q3 rules and UT sucks, then someone else says UT owns and Q3 is crap, and it goes on and on and on, possibly with someone actually giving good reasons why one game is better than the other (but it's pretty unlikely).

They're both good games.

They both have great graphics (although Q3's are a bit better), advanced engines (Q3's is slightly more advanced though, e.g. curves (mind you, UT does have portals (I think (don't you love brackets =p )))), a good selection of weapons (although UT's are a little too futuristic for my liking), and impressive gameplay (although Q3 is slightly more fast 'n' furious and UT requires a bit more strategy and skill).

They're both bad games.

Multiplayer only. 'Nuff said. Oh, okay, they have bots, but Q3's are way too fast and are much too good at aiming. UT's are more human-like.

Guest Normal Human

I personally like both UT and QUAKE III. I hated Quake II and the first Unreal, but feel head over heels inlove with Quake, and all the Dooms.

The basic reason I hated Quake II, and the first Unreal is because it was all TOOOOO SLOW. I want fast paced action, and good looking graphics.

and in a single player game, great gameplay, and an awesome looking environment.
Much like i am expecting in DooM III, and know ID will provide.

NiGHTMARE said:

This argument just goes in circles. Someone says Q3 rules and UT sucks, then someone else says UT owns and Q3 is crap, and it goes on and on and on, possibly with someone actually giving good reasons why one game is better than the other (but it's pretty unlikely).

They're both good games.

They both have great graphics (although Q3's are a bit better), advanced engines (Q3's is slightly more advanced though, e.g. curves (mind you, UT does have portals (I think (don't you love brackets =p )))), a good selection of weapons (although UT's are a little too futuristic for my liking), and impressive gameplay (although Q3 is slightly more fast 'n' furious and UT requires a bit more strategy and skill).

They're both bad games.

Multiplayer only. 'Nuff said. Oh, okay, they have bots, but Q3's are way too fast and are much too good at aiming. UT's are more human-like.

I didn't want to start an arguement but here we go...
1)Q3A engine is MUCH MUCH MUCH more advanced than the CRAP called UT engine!! (and I don't mean only the curves and MUCH better portals)!
2)As I said UT bots SUCK!
HUMAN LIKE!?! HAHAHA!
THEY ARE CRAP LIKE!!
Unlike Q3A bots which act like humans!
3)Level Design in UT is BLOCKY!
The geometry is LIMITED!!
The characters look BLOCKY!!
Without Glide the engine is CRAP (it is CRAP anyway)!!
I won't argue with u on the points of gameplay (where Q3A is MUCH BETTER)!!
Everyone has his opinion but there is one fact where there is NO OPINION!! Q3A ENGINE IS MUCH BETTER THAN UT ENGINE!!
Lightning,Curves,Portals,Shaders!
u can agree or not but the GRAPHICS in Q3A simply BLOW UT away!!!
they are simply AGES ahead of UT!!
If u doesn't agree on that then ur a morron with no brain who is being payed by Epic to say good words about their CRAP game!

Guest elyuca

Right On, Dima!!!! Q3 is much more advanced, mainly b/c you have john carmack coding up. The guy who wrote the UT engine is probably only known in his family, haha. besides the graphics in ut look too blury, they arent as crisp as q3's

Guest elyuca

Of course Quake is better, it came out later, and technology was better. The same way the P3 is better than the original pentium. Thing is that people tend to think that the "originator", or "the first one" is always better for the same reason that it came first and revolutionized. Let me rewrite history - Lets say that when Doom came out, it had the atmosphere of Quake 2. Then, 4 years later, Quake comes out, with the Atmoshpere of Doom. People will still love Doom because it came first, and was the first FPS that impacted the industry.

elyuca said:

Right On, Dima!!!! Q3 is much more advanced, mainly b/c you have john carmack coding up. The guy who wrote the UT engine is probably only known in his family, haha. besides the graphics in ut look too blury, they arent as crisp as q3's

Yes John Carmack is the GOD of 3d engines!!
But one thing u said I have to disagree about...
Tim Sweeney is a smart man (not even close to Jonny but smart...)
And Jonny has a lot of respect to him (like he recently noted)

Guest elyuca
Dima said:

Let's make it clear ONCE and FOREVER!
UT SUCKS!!!
Q3A RULES!!

Theres something weird though. Im subscribed to PCGamer (and I hpe youre all too!) They gave Q3A an 80%, not an editors choice, they reviewed UT a month or 2 back and gave it an editors choice in the range of 92%+. For some mysterious reason, in their editorials, all they talk about is Q3A, and when they benchmark graphics cards, they use Q3A (as do almost every single site, magazine, and benchtester) So if UT is better, how come Q3A is more popular(1000x)? and why is it that I find myself, and all my friends, playing Q3A, while having my UT cd, box and manual, properly used as a dust-gathering shield over my cds?

Actually not ALL my friends think Q3A is better than UT, but of those that like UT better, they all agree that the Q3engine is technologically superior to that of UT.

Guest Daemoneon
Normal Human said:

I personally like both UT and QUAKE III. I hated Quake II and the first Unreal, but feel head over heels inlove with Quake, and all the Dooms.

The basic reason I hated Quake II, and the first Unreal is because it was all TOOOOO SLOW. I want fast paced action, and good looking graphics.

and in a single player game, great gameplay, and an awesome looking environment.
Much like i am expecting in DooM III, and know ID will provide.

I do agree, the first Unreal sucked completely (the engine was really slow in the first place), but Quake II is blindingly fast, even on a P-233, as long as you have OpenGL and don't go overboard on the Hi-Res (say, 512x384 or 640x480 as a limit, 1024x768 is an insane resolution for a FPS). Quake is definitely a good game, but the same rules apply: to get a good resolution, you NEED OpenGL. It's crazy why the software graphics drivers aren't sped up in the least possible way, making it a better gaming experience for poor Joe Blow with his Nvidia Riva 128, which does good Direct3D (Microsoft API sucks) but has no OpenGL support. The graphics make a game what it is. Add good controls (something else the original Unreal lacked), and good sound (even for people like me with a SB16 ISA) and you have a game to feed the gods. Half-Life did this quite well, also because of it's relatively low system requirements (compare it to Deus Ex or Daikatana and you'll see what I mean). I think that if Doom III's engine is to take good ideas from any other engine it should be Half-Life's engine (or, should I say the revised version of the Quake II engine? Ha Ha)
So don't dismiss a game as having crappy graphics or gameplay just because of your crappy hardware.

Guest Jadar
elyuca said:

Theres something weird though. Im subscribed to PCGamer (and I hpe youre all too!) They gave Q3A an 80%, not an editors choice, they reviewed UT a month or 2 back and gave it an editors choice in the range of 92%+. For some mysterious reason, in their editorials, all they talk about is Q3A, and when they benchmark graphics cards, they use Q3A (as do almost every single site, magazine, and benchtester) So if UT is better, how come Q3A is more popular(1000x)? and why is it that I find myself, and all my friends, playing Q3A, while having my UT cd, box and manual, properly used as a dust-gathering shield over my cds?

Actually not ALL my friends think Q3A is better than UT, but of those that like UT better, they all agree that the Q3engine is technologically superior to that of UT.

The Q3A engine is hands down better then UT... but IMHO UT had better gameplay though... Quake3 just sucked in that department... It was just faster Quake2 DM... with some better weapons... (new BFG sucked!!!)

Guest Daemoneon
PainElemental said:

No, maybe not. (America) It's a land of lunatics, so join the party.

I'm sorry, man, but can't we all just be friends and kill each other in DM like regular people and drink our coffee and listen to our Doom music (because Doom and Doom II music is the best music any FPS could have, better than Quake (sorry Trent Reznor) better than Quake II (sorry sorry Sonic Mayhem and Rob Zombie), definitely better than Half-Life (although HL Op4 guns are gods in their own right [sniper rifle, sniper rifle; oh, and did I mention the sniper rifle?]))?