Slot 1: Fist. Chainsaw.
Slot 2: Pistol.
Slot 3: Shotgun. SSG
Slot 4: Chaingun
Slot 5: Grenade Launcher. Rocket Launcher
Slot 6: Plasma Rifel
Slot 7: BFG9000

Thats what I would like!

Um, aside from the grenade launcher isn't this what's already in Doom 2?

Don't you think that the weapon selection should've grown after 8 years of technological advancement?

deadnail said:

Um, aside from the grenade launcher isn't this what's already in Doom 2?

Don't you think that the weapon selection should've grown after 8 years of technological advancement?

Maybe some different weapons, but not a lot more. No more than say 10 at most. I really can't say how much I hate the idea of alternate fire for the weapons. There is a lot of room for gameplay advancement as long as it doesn't stray from the spirit of Doom's arcade/action roots. Doom's purity and simplicity was one of the main reasons for it's success.

NiGHTMARE said:

One more time.

Carmack has said that there will be no rocket launcher.

One more time.

I said "That is what I would like!".

Or say you want exactly the same weapons again and add a grenade launcher...But wouldn´t it be a bit boring?

Shaviro said:

One more time.

I said "That is what I would like!".

Sounds good to me Maonth. You have to remember, some of these other guys don't really seem to have an appreciation for what Doom is. From what I can gather from their other posts, they want to alter it so much that in the end most of what makes Doom such a great game will be lost.

Guest dmddoug
Tetzlaff said:

Or say you want exactly the same weapons again and add a grenade launcher...But wouldn´t it be a bit boring?

i concur

Stphrz said:

Sounds good to me Maonth. You have to remember, some of these other guys don't really seem to have an appreciation for what Doom is. From what I can gather from their other posts, they want to alter it so much that in the end most of what makes Doom such a great game will be lost.

Yeah!

I love DooM so much as it is! I don't think they should add more than 1 gun to DooM3! And they should really keep all of the old stuff! Without it... It just aint DooM!

NiGHTMARE said:

One more time.

Carmack has said that there will be no rocket launcher.

Show me a link to where Carmack said there will be no rocket launcher.

Guest Direwolf
Stphrz said:

Maybe some different weapons, but not a lot more. No more than say 10 at most. I really can't say how much I hate the idea of alternate fire for the weapons. There is a lot of room for gameplay advancement as long as it doesn't stray from the spirit of Doom's arcade/action roots. Doom's purity and simplicity was one of the main reasons for it's success.

Alternate fire mode is something (good) not bad. It gets boreing after awhile having to shoot the same way with no other methods. I mean I agree on the weapons keep them.. but still it would be nice to see alternate fire modes. I mean hell half life is like what 4 years old and it had alternate fire modes lol I hope the new doom game has it. You all should download gunman chronicals sometime and see how fun it is to be able to switch from two shells to four or changing from sniper to rapid fire shit like that is fun.. not that Doom should have 3 different methods of shooting for the shotgun.. perhaps 2 aka fire and alternate fire would be nice.. depending on what the alternate fire mode would be.

Guest elyuca

Yeah!!! I would love to see ALL the old weapons back in 5000 polygons-bumpmaped

Linguica said:

Once again.
When JC said "Our next game won´t have a rocket launcher", they were talking about Quest, not DooM3.

Linguica said:

He said it in a .plan update something like a month before ID announced the new Doom game, so I'm pretty damned sure ID WERE working on the Doom game at that time, and hence he WAS talking about the new Doom.

Shaviro said:

Yeah!

I love DooM so much as it is! I don't think they should add more than 1 gun to DooM3! And they should really keep all of the old stuff! Without it... It just aint DooM!

Yeah! And they should keep the sprites and 320x200 resolution too! Yeah!

Don't be silly. I'm sure Maonth wants the new Doom game to have the most advanced graphics, AI, etc that technology can muster.
What he and I DON'T want is: 1) 38 different weapons each having two or more alternate fire modes capable of using four different type of ammo. 2) A cumbersome inventory system. 3) Complex gameplay that's so realistic it's no longer fun.

Detail and complexity should come from what we see and experience in the game. Not from what we have to do, the weapons and melee attacks to keep track of or a vast array of other junk to manage.