Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ahab

Music

Guest Ahab

Let's talk about music. For some reason, in places where it is needed most, the scary music that I would refer to be in Doom is strangely absent. Some of the music just doesn't go with the levels. However, E1M5 (Phobos Lab) has excellent music. Why can't all the levels sound something like this?

Guest elyuca

...talked about it before, put up your 4th thread in a row, maybe its something new.

Guest Dream Destroyer

Sorry to bust your bubble, but the "sound" as you call it isn't coming from the levels. It's called MIDI.. Now.. can you say that with me? MIDI... good... Finally learned something you fucking dumbass.

Well, since most of the other kids in here just want to insult you I might as well put up a reply.

The music that you 'refer' would be in Doom is strangely absent? I guess you meant 'prefer'. Either way I need some 'reefer', as this board is trying to fly up my ass faster than Elyuca.

If all the music kicked ass you wouldn't know it, some of the music has to be so-so just so you can differentiate which songs are better in your opinion.

It's also worth noting that most of the Doom music varied quite much, from ambient to pseudo-industrial metal and everything in between, well, about as much as a 16 channel sound format can allow anyway.

If you want my opinion, I'd be happier of all the music was spread around more like E2M2 and SHAWN2, those two tunes really kicked ass.

Guest elyuca
Dream Destroyer said:

Sorry to bust your bubble, but the "sound" as you call it isn't coming from the levels. It's called MIDI.. Now.. can you say that with me? MIDI... good... Finally learned something you fucking dumbass.

LOL

16 channels?
I think Prince didnĀ“t use more than 5, 6 channels (counting the special effects channel) in each song.

Guest Daemoneon
Dream Destroyer said:

Musical Instrument Digital Interface...hmm, why doesn't it work that way? Why do all the general MIDI (MPU-401 compatible) sounds suck? I'll explain. They use FM-synthesized sounds to represent instruments, which, while seeming to work well in theory, actually sounds like crap. Many sound card manufacturers (Creative, Gravis, Adlib) actually put their own versions of synthesis into the card, as well as leaving some general MIDI support. Some card manufacturers (Turtle Beach) went a step further, recording each different note from each instrument that was included in general MIDI and then encoding it into chips which would correspond to the general MIDI format, while sounding much, MUCH better. With the advent of Win95, many sound card manufacturers started adding Software Wavetables (or something like that) to their driver updates, which took the instructions sent to MIDI and instead using a software synthesis to get a better-sounding, well, sound. This is also slower, however, because it is software-based, not hardware based, although some even higher-end sound cards (SB AWE32 and above) have such things added hardware-side, like Turtle Beach did. My point? Usually cd-audio is best, because it doesn't take much for the cdplayer to pipe the sound directly through your soundcard (unless it has to access data from the cd as well, or you're using Windows ME, which caches the cd-audio data on the hard drive, which is quite redundant and wasteful, because that just adds one more thing to what your computer is processing while you're trying to play the game).
And, Mr. Dream Destroyer, you could have been a little bit nicer about telling them, not everyone is a "fucking asshole". Besides, I don't think many assholes themselves do much fucking, when you think about it.