Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deadnail

Hey Stphrz, Doom timeline question...

Anyway I think it was Stphrz that had always questioned our assumption that Doom took place hundreds of years into the future.

Well, in Section 14 of the Doom Bible:
http://5years.doomworld.com/doombible/section14.shtml
The BFG is referred to as the BFG 2704.

Oh and just so ya know, the Colt M1911 pistol was manufactured first in 1911. Of course it was built by everyone in time of need for the war, even the Singer sewing machine company chipped in and manufactured pistols! Then our NRA set up a big gun shipment to Britian to help them fend off their invaders... and then what do they do? Destroy all of their guns some decades later. Some of those guns that they had in their attics were originally ours given to help them in a time of need, for Chrissakes at least dismantle the mechanisms and put them in a fucking museum!

But I digress... sorry, I didn't know jack about the M1911 a year ago and I guess I'm in a sharing mood.

Anyhoo~
Gun names can come from model numbers, calibers, firing mechanisms and sometimes even dates. I think that this was their intended purpose of naming the BFG the 2704, the production number.

However, you can still get a hold of a fresh, newly made M1911A1 model right now.

So, the BFG was made in 2704, and you figure that by within 20 years it would be horrifically obsolete, especially if they were just figuring out how to harness plasma/particle accelleration/whatever Galahad sez. Thus within 20-40 years a newer model would come out that had exactly the same effect with half the heat and twice the firing rate.

So I would logically place Doom between 2704 and 2730. I would also see the whole active role of the marine played through Doom 1 and 2 in less than a day, let alone a year, and the transition between 2 and 3 is still unknown...

Um, have we talked about this before? This specifically, anyway? How does this sound?

You think the space marine blasted through Phobos, Deimos, Hell, Earth, and Hell again in less than a day? Personally I think that Doom 1 probably took place over a few days, then there was a short break of 2 or 3 days, then Doom 2 took place over a couple of days. Of course this is all lame speculation but that seems the most plausible to me.

No. I never questioned that the previous Doom games took place in the future. They obviously did. I did point out however, that Doom3 need not do the same. I mean Doom encompasses occult and science fiction lore in equal measure. That means, the new game can essentially take place anywhere, anytime. It's not necessary to limit the setting to somewhere in space sometime in the future.

Guest cacoman

this is my guess hmmmmmm he was probly right about the date but that could just be a normal number for the bfg it could mean something else who knows

and about doom 3 hmmm it seems odd to have a sequel to a game that was already done with the strory (i mean you deffet the big head you win. all the hord dies) maby doom people find a planet thats like there main home planet and the stuff that attaked earth was like a small scout fleet and doom 1 was just a small outpost and doom 3 is about killing the main planet that the monsters live on

Guest Archvile46
Linguica said:

You think the space marine blasted through Phobos, Deimos, Hell, Earth, and Hell again in less than a day? Personally I think that Doom 1 probably took place over a few days, then there was a short break of 2 or 3 days, then Doom 2 took place over a couple of days. Of course this is all lame speculation but that seems the most plausible to me.

It would have taken a week at the most. But definately more than one day.

Guest Dark_Fox
cacoman said:

(i mean you deffet the big head you win. all the hord dies) maby doom people find a planet thats like there main home planet and the stuff that attaked earth was like a small scout fleet and doom

What?
They are not aliens, the doom monsters are hellspawn, that sounds like the dumb doom novels.. (The first one was ok, set in the doom world)

Guest Dark_Fox

Load both games, and time yourself :)
I know.. Stupid joke..

Guest Archvile46
Dark_Fox said:

What?
They are not aliens, the doom monsters are hellspawn, that sounds like the dumb doom novels.. (The first one was ok, set in the doom world)

Grrr. Doom needs a good storyline dammit! It's too confusing otherwise-hellspawn, or some alien race?

NiGHTMARE said:

Not according to DDQR :)

As a marine he would follow his objectives, and complete what needed to be. He wouldn't hunt down every target when they're coming from an unending source, he'd just kill what got in his way while running like a mofo to the end.

DDQR is a damn good example of that, hell, he could've done Doom and Doom 2 in under an hour. With the gates how long do you think it would take hell to have the initiative to destroy everything?

Guest Archvile46

But does this marine know EXACTLY where he's going? He wouldn't get lost at ALL, like in the books, or even when occaisionally when I'm playing a new wad for the first time. That's one thing the books does do well: handle the amount of time Fly spends running around killing things.

Guest Dark_Fox
Archvile46 said:

Grrr. Doom needs a good storyline dammit! It's too confusing otherwise-hellspawn, or some alien race?

Doom's story was about hell invading earth..
nuff said..
Next?