Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NiGHTMARE

Those f**king novels

Anyone think there should be a petition to get ID to denounce those f**king novels and say that the creatures in Doom 1 and 2 are hellspawn and not bleedin' aliens?

Everyone know's that Doom's creatures are Hell Spawn.

The novels just add a totally different twist to the story. I happened to like the novels, even though starting on the second one, had nothing to do with Doom. Well, Dafydd sucked at coming up with name, for example, Newbies? Freds? Seirs and Robucc??
Other than that, they were pretty cool.

PS: I just posted sumtin @ DW a second ago about needing help for a new page I want to start, that has NOTHING to do with Doomgalaxy, why was it deleted??

I actually tried to read one of those things.

*gags at the memory*

Guest Archvile46

I actually began writing a doom novel several years ago, and it's not too bad. I went back and looked at it recently, and might even finish sometime.

Ok, I've never read the novels, but it seems that almost everyone around me has. The majority of the people here say they suck, while several of my friends tell me that the books were good. Which is it? I understand that they didn't really follow Doom that well, but placing that aside... assuming that they had nothing to do with Doom... would they be good as stand alone books?

They're neither, or both, they're from another dimension, hence the "interdimentional portals" it's kinda like the movie Event Horizon. Had that crazy dimension of pure evil "hell is just a word, the truth is much, much more terrible" that's where these bitches are from... I think..

Never read the novels myself

S./

Guest c-d-w
EllipsusD said:

Ok, I've never read the novels, but it seems that almost everyone around me has. The majority of the people here say they suck, while several of my friends tell me that the books were good. Which is it? I understand that they didn't really follow Doom that well, but placing that aside... assuming that they had nothing to do with Doom... would they be good as stand alone books?

They're good if you have the intellectual capacity of an 8-year-old.
I have read all four, and believe me, you're better off getting hold of a real novel, like something by Tom Clancy or whatever..
(I mean descriptions of combat can get boring real quick!)

The doom novels are short and full of useless content - I read one a day for four days.... not exactly worth the money.

The best part about any of the doom novels, is when "Fly" was alone searching through Phobos. When he finally met up with his friend "Arlene" things got really retarded.

"Hmmmm... it seems deimos is floating above earth... lets build a spaceship out of spare mail-tube parts in the next two days, and we can fly to earth!"

"While I was unconcious from re-entry, I hallucinated that a little leprechaun talked to me about some crap"

<Later>

"Well, we survived that little adventure, lets go to the nearest city and see what we can get up to"

Then after that, the remaining 2 and a half novels went on to preach on and on and on about Mormons, and the vast pros and cons about religion, and borderline pedophilia.

In my opinion, if you haven't read the Doom novels, consider yourself lucky - if you have, well, that's your problem.

Guest Dark_Fox

The first one was, lets saw O.. K...
The rest made me spew like a warm can of beer.. :\

Guest PFCGray
Jeremy said:

Everyone know's that Doom's creatures are Hell Spawn.

The novels just add a totally different twist to the story. I happened to like the novels, even though starting on the second one, had nothing to do with Doom. Well, Dafydd sucked at coming up with name, for example, Newbies? Freds? Seirs and Robucc??
Other than that, they were pretty cool.

PS: I just posted sumtin @ DW a second ago about needing help for a new page I want to start, that has NOTHING to do with Doomgalaxy, why was it deleted??

You all suck! What is your problem? The books actually make the game have more sense! Your problem is that you pick at it and try to analyze it. Now a THAT'S a waste of time in my book. The reason I say it makes the game have more sense is cuz what if they make a movie on it? If they base it on the book, it would actually be something to base it on! If it were based just on the game, it would be nothing but some guy blowin away monsters for an hour and a half. BORING!!!!!!!!!!!

EllipsusD said:

I liked them because I got some cool ideas from them. It added a new dimension to the game I think. Made it a little more close and personal. I didn't make it past the halfway mark on the third book, it was just so not-Doom by then. I'd say check out the first one if you don't mind that it reads like 9th-year literature.

Why the novels suck:

1) They completely go against the in-game text during Doom 1 and 2, which repeatedly say that the creatures are from hell (e.g. in the text at the end of e2m8, it says "Deimos floats above Hell itself! You've never heard of anyone escaping from Hell, but you'll make the bastards sorry they ever heard of you.")

If the author had named these novels something other than Doom, they may seem inspired by the games, but some people probably wouldn't even realise that they were supposed to be related.

2) The characterisation is piss-poor. The characters are some of the most bland, boring and stereotyped I have ever seen in a book.

The names are stupid as well. While there are plenty of people called Flynn around (mostly in Ireland though), I doubt anyone would ever _want_ to be called Fly, that sounds more like the evil nickname people give you in your early years at school.

3) They seem to me to be merely an attempt to get quick cash out of a tie-in, as with most TV/movie tie-in novels. You can tell this because the author also writes Star Trek novels. Which suck as well.

PFCGray said:

You all suck! What is your problem? The books actually make the game have more sense! Your problem is that you pick at it and try to analyze it. Now a THAT'S a waste of time in my book. The reason I say it makes the game have more sense is cuz what if they make a movie on it? If they base it on the book, it would actually be something to base it on! If it were based just on the game, it would be nothing but some guy blowin away monsters for an hour and a half. BORING!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally I think they would hire a professional script writer to create his own story based on Doom, but you seem to be saying that no-one except the author of the novels is capable of coming up with a story based on Doom that isn't just running killing everything, so whatever.

Besides, if they ever did get around to making a movie, they most definately wouldn't be based on the novels. Why? Well, because Carmack himself has commented on how much he dislikes the novels, and so he and the other ID guys hopefully wouldn't LET them use the novels.

Guest Archvile46
SoKatH said:

They're neither, or both, they're from another dimension, hence the "interdimentional portals" it's kinda like the movie Event Horizon. Had that crazy dimension of pure evil "hell is just a word, the truth is much, much more terrible" that's where these bitches are from... I think..

Never read the novels myself

S./

That's what I've always thought.

Guest c-d-w
NiGHTMARE said:

I always thought that too (Hell, demons, etc.)

But: Doom 2 map12 text:

YOU HAVE WON! YOUR VICTORY HAS ENABLED
HUMANKIND TO EVACUATE EARTH AND ESCAPE
THE NIGHTMARE. NOW YOU ARE THE ONLY
HUMAN LEFT ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET.
CANNIBAL MUTATIONS, CARNIVOROUS ALIENS,
AND EVIL SPIRITS ARE YOUR ONLY NEIGHBORS.
YOU SIT BACK AND WAIT FOR DEATH, CONTENT
THAT YOU HAVE SAVED YOUR SPECIES.

BUT THEN, EARTH CONTROL BEAMS DOWN A
MESSAGE FROM SPACE: "SENSORS HAVE LOCATED
THE SOURCE OF THE ALIEN INVASION. IF YOU
GO THERE, YOU MAY BE ABLE TO BLOCK THEIR
ENTRY. THE ALIEN BASE IS IN THE HEART OF
YOUR OWN HOME CITY, NOT FAR FROM THE
STARPORT." SLOWLY AND PAINFULLY YOU GET
UP AND RETURN TO THE FRAY.
(sorry it's all caps, I cut-n-pasted)

Anyway, several references to aliens...
There were marble faces in Doom2 that looked alien as well,
so what I like to think, is that some monsters are alien,
while the original Doom cast was Hellspawn.

But whatever... what I like about Doom is that it's open to
whatever the player sees fit.

Foreigners are considered alien as well. Just because it says alien doen't mean it isn't reffering to Hellspawn. It just means that they are alien to Earth.

c-d-w said:

like something by Tom Clancy or whatever..

page-long descriptions of guns get boring... you can tell clancy likes his guns...

Guest c-d-w
EllipsusD said:

Foreigners are considered alien as well. Just because it says alien doen't mean it isn't reffering to Hellspawn. It just means that they are alien to Earth.

I agree.
Perhaps the Marine knows they are hellspawn, but the Earth forces and government consider them "alien"?

I don't ask, I just play the game