Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mauler

Doom Combat

Guest Mauler

Probably my biggest problem with Doom is that the combat can be too easy sometimes. I love how fast and insane the fighting is, but sometimes it is just too damn easy. (Just so you know, I have completed Ultimate Doom and Doom II on Ultra-Violence so I am not that bad. I know you guys have probably beat it on Nightmare, but I cannot even come close to winning on that skill level. I play slow and cautiosly, but on Nightmare you have to run like hell before the enemies can respawn, NO THANKS)

1. The enemies kill each other too often. I have managed to win against huge groups of Demons without even firing except to kill the last enemy. The Cyberdemon especially can make your battles much easier, because he kills your enemies for you just as quickly as you can. Demon infighting should definitely be in Doom III, but id should do something keep the enemies from butchering each other. (Quake was good at this, the enemies would fight each other, but it didn't happen often. I love it when a Revenant shoots a fireball at me, and as it follows me I get behind a Cyberdemon or some other tough enemy. Then the Revenant gets it's ass kicked!)

2. Enemies are too slow. Alot of the Demons can kill you in seconds if they manage to hit you. Besides the Cyberdemon and the Spiderdemon, the rest of the enemies can all be killed with five rockets or less. You can kill even the very tough enemies in a couple of seconds.
The problem is that they are way too slow, to either dodge or charge you effectively. Most of the projectile weapons, besides bullets, can be dodged easily. Even the Cyberdemon, the toughest enemy of them all, can be killed with ease. The demons should move and shoot faster. (Yeah, I know, I should turn on fast monsters)

Has anyone here played Mechwarrior 3 or 4. The Cyberdemon should be just like one of the battlemechs!
The Barons of Hell should be like the Brutes from Unreal and the Demons/Spectres should be just like the fiends from Quake.
I would also like to see about forty new kinds of demons. I know there will probably only be about twenty kinds, but I love it when there are tons of different enemies.

I sort of want the combat to stay the same, with hordes of hundreds of brainless, slow moving creatures that I can kill in seconds with a good plasma rifle burst, but I also like the style of the first Quake, where the enemies where much faster and had much better weapons, all the enemies were tough but not to tough (I beat Quake on Nightmare).
IT SHOULD NOT BE LIKE UNREAL!!!!!
I hate that fuckin' game!! There were few enemies, but each one was lethal! The goddamned Skaarj warriors could dodge anything, and they moved faster than hell! God did I hate that game! I had to play Doom and Quake for hours to cleanse my mind of the vile Unreal!
I know alot of people liked Unreal for the same reasons I hated it, so don't flame me. I just like Quake better, which had lightning fast combat! Doom is great because of the combat speed and the awesome guns, but I want to see some changes!

Guest PFCGray

You couldn't have said it any better.

Guest banann

right... Unreal was preety but boring.... DooM should be DooM....

Guest RTC Marine
PFCGray said:

You couldn't have said it any better.

the only thing i like in unreal is the sky! :)

Guest Dark_Fox

I'm a 100% pure breed Unreal Fan, yea it had alot of down points (Major one was the damn pissy guns) But I still play.. I loved the SP experience, thought no where as good as HL or SS2..
I never liked Quake 1, boring..
Quake II kicked ass, Q3A lets say sucked nutz.. Damn good graphics and eyecandy but that does not make the game..

Guest Dream Destroyer

Personally, I kinda liked the weapons in unreal.. Would have been better had the physics not sucked. But overall, I like Unreal, a lot.

banann said:

right... Unreal was preety but boring.... DooM should be DooM....

Funny you say that, because I just played Unreal for the first time last week and I think it looks like shit. I mean, I know it's three years old and all, but how can you say Unreal looks better than, say, Quake 2 ? Sure it has big areas, dynamic lighting and fogging (sorta), though I prefer the solid look of OpenGL Quake2.

Guest JudgeDooM
RTC Marine said:

the only thing i like in unreal is the sky! :)

Oh yeah!

Lord Flathead said:

Funny you say that, because I just played Unreal for the first time last week and I think it looks like shit. I mean, I know it's three years old and all, but how can you say Unreal looks better than, say, Quake 2 ? Sure it has big areas, dynamic lighting and fogging (sorta), though I prefer the solid look of OpenGL Quake2.

Dynamic lighting was even in GlQuake.