Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest WolfenDoom

id on xbox you say? Not possible!!!

Guest WolfenDoom

Some over-excited online reports have suggested that id will be gracing the Xbox with a whole new instalment in the Quake series. Nonsense, say we. As, for that matter, does id's Todd Hollenshead who told Voodoo Extreme that it: 'Looks like rumour and speculation to me.'

Here's our own speculative spin on the story: id are currently working on the new Doom title, a game that's going to tie up the entire company for the next year at least. Therefore there simply isn't the time or capacity at id to produce a whole new Quake title. More likely is that id will licence out Xbox ports of Q3A, Wolfenstein and Doom to third-party developers. End of story.

Even if there were a fourth Quake instalment in the works, it would most likely appear on PC first, and if it wasn't made by id then it would be made by a trusted third party under close supervision from id, who would act as producers. But with Wolfy and Doom still on the way, it's difficult to get too excited about this entirely hypothetical sequel just yet.

I don't think id is developing anything else except DOOM right now (remember that Carmack said after Team Arena Mission Pack his company is focusing only on DOOM).
I think that if there will be a "New Keen game" id will hand the development of it to some other company (maybe to Gray Matter Studios after they finish Return To Castle Wolfenstein).
If there will be Quake 4 then it will be made after DOOM and most certainly won't be a console exclusive game!
Carmack is devoted to the pc and is used to program on it and he is not going to change that for quite awhile...
Graeme Divine was hired to bring new ideas to id and to start something new that has nothing to do with Wolf,Doom or Quake.
I think that after DOOM id will start a new franchise that hopefully will have the same success as id's previous games.

There's a company in the same building under the name 'Raster' that does all of their console ports under very close supervision. These are the guys that did Doom 64 and Quake 3 Arean for Dreamcast.

If Raster was doing an 'iD Anthology DVD' with almost all of their games on it JC would just check up on it one or twice a week, it wouldn't really sap development time from Doom 3.

Dima said:

I don't think id is developing anything else except DOOM right now (remember that Carmack said after Team Arena Mission Pack his company is focusing only on DOOM).
I think that if there will be a "New Keen game" id will hand the development of it to some other company (maybe to Gray Matter Studios after they finish Return To Castle Wolfenstein).
If there will be Quake 4 then it will be made after DOOM and most certainly won't be a console exclusive game!
Carmack is devoted to the pc and is used to program on it and he is not going to change that for quite awhile...
Graeme Divine was hired to bring new ideas to id and to start something new that has nothing to do with Wolf,Doom or Quake.
I think that after DOOM id will start a new franchise that hopefully will have the same success as id's previous games.

Trinity!

Quest!

Feck!

Arse!

Women!

Drink!

:)

Yeah, what deadnail said... they give the property to 3rd-party (other) developers who check back in with ID to get their progress OK'ed. Takes very little time at all for ID to oversee any 3rd-party console versions/ports. In fact, if I was couped up working on the new Doom all day I'd be more than happy to take a break and see what somebody else is doing with my games.