Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kain

um...

No no no.Doom should have shit music,and crap gameplay as well. Also I think it would be a great idea to make only one short level for the game. Furthermore, you dickhead,your mum is a cunt and if you make any more comments like that I will hunt you down and rip out your lungs.

Maybe if you thought a little more about what he said, you would read it as: "That frickin' moron Trent Reznor should not be affiliated with Doom3 in any way, shape, or form." It's pretty much a given that anything Trent turns out will be crap (listen to a NIN record, Fragile or Downward Spiral preferably.) Not that I'd give up on that guy just yet, but it's too risky to let him do Doom3.

And so I agree, it should have good music; meaning sign up somebody, ANYBODY, other than Reznor. Hell, I'll bet Manson or Korn or even Limp Bizkit could turn out a better game soundtrack than him.

Choose!

1. You are an idiot?
2. You don't like the fact that Trenz Reznor is doing the music?
Well neither do i :|

Lüt said:

Maybe if you thought a little more about what he said, you would read it as: "That frickin' moron Trent Reznor should not be affiliated with Doom3 in any way, shape, or form." It's pretty much a given that anything Trent turns out will be crap (listen to a NIN record, Fragile or Downward Spiral preferably.) Not that I'd give up on that guy just yet, but it's too risky to let him do Doom3.

And so I agree, it should have good music; meaning sign up somebody, ANYBODY, other than Reznor. Hell, I'll bet Manson or Korn or even Limp Bizkit could turn out a better game soundtrack than him.

Alice In Chains, Pantera, Slayer, Megadeath. They are all candidates. Trent Sucks, listen to the Quake soundtrack :P

Lüt said:

You'll be choking on your words when Doom 3 has the best game soundtrack ever made (well, except the Command and Conquer series of course)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Thank you, I haven't laughed so hard for about a month.

Alright, you are rather inexperienced with videogame soundtracks, so to start off, go here:

http://members.nbci.com/mippage/vgmp3s.html

And download the Terminator MP3s. (And the other ones if you have time.) THAT is quality soundtrackage.

If Trent concentrates on remixing existing Doom music rather than making 100% from scratch stuff, it should be very cool indeed. Even if you don't like ANY of his songs (although how anyone can't like Heresy I don't know), you've got to admit some of the production work he's done for people such as Manson, and many of various remixes he's made of songs by everyone from Queen to KoRn completely own. Also check out Reznor and Bowie's I'm Afraid of Americans, one of my current favourite songs.

Anyway, I'm talking about PC soundtracks here, not consoles and stuff. We all know that many Sega console games tended to place a greater emphasis on graphics and sound rather than gameplay.

If you think about it, there aren't all that many PC games with good CD audio quality soundtracks that really suit the game. All I can think of at the moment are:

The entire C&C series (except Red Alert 1)
Discworld Noir
Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2
Starcraft
System Shock 2
Unreal

If you want to get into soundtracks for any system, many ZX Spectrum games had some really addictive music, even if it was VERY plinky plonky before the +2 and +3 arrived. Games that I particularly remember were the Dizzy series, although the music in a couple of them (e.g. Dizzy 1) sucked big time.

BTW, just noticed on that link you gave:

Similar Artists: Blind Guardian/Queensryche/Yngwie Malmsteen/Marc Pullen :)

I totally agree with your game music list. Those games got killer audio, specially DK2 (the Horned Reaper summoning song´s the best)

NiGHTMARE said:

BTW, notice how the supposed (according to the general gaming community) current Best Game of All Time wasn't on my list? Yep, about the only bad thing in Half-life is it's music.

It would be fine with no music at all, but having music that lasts for 10-30 seconds is really bizarre and just plain pointless, especially when a lot of it is ripped from other sources (one of them is an extract from a Quake 2 song).

The new Doom game needs to have instrumental/ambient music when it's quiet, which Trent is usually very good at (e.g. A Warm Place), as well as more metal/industrial style music when there's more action going on, and perhaps something really evil sounding when you enter some scary new area.

It's all very well doing as Maonth did and give a list of bands, but can they actually PRODUCE the music as well as playing it? I think not. If Doom 3 is going to have dynamic music as it rightfully should, I really think that Reznor, with his lengthy track record in producing music as well as recording it, and his self confessed love of Doom 1 & 2, is the right man for the job.

Shaviro said:

Alice In Chains, Pantera, Slayer, Megadeath. They are all candidates. Trent Sucks, listen to the Quake soundtrack :P

The hell?

Quake was goth/ambient, Trent is used to playing new wave/industrail. Have you ever heard any other goth/ambient? Trust me, you don't want to.

Oh, and fuck you all. The Megaman series has the best music!

I forgot who it was, but someone re-did all of the classic Mega Man tunes using real instruments. Now that's some quality music.

NiGHTMARE said:

although how anyone can't like Heresy I don't know

That's the one song I ALWAYS use as the first example when I'm giving my speeches on what an idiot Reznor is. It's one of the biggest, most blatant loads of slop EVER produced. It belongs on Danzig 5 (You can go to The Barnacle [in my sig] and read my thoughts on Danzig 5).

And believe it or not but I own 29 Nine Inch Nails discs and I have all the remixes and rare demos and videos he's done. I THOROUGHLY explore most everything before I even begin to bash it; as I have done with Trent. He's done a few decent remixes I give you that. But usually it takes somebody else's material before his ideas can be put to use. Same with him - it takes remixers to bring out the potential his music has. The thing I hate about him the most is his horrid recordings. His method of recording his music with the volume up 900% just blows my mind. What the hell is he thinking? People call him 'genius' for ignoring everything that goes into a good production! Everything on Downward Spiral and Fragile just screams "MENTAL BLOCK!", plain and simple. I knock the first two records, but not as much as those two. Gawd, ok I've gotta stop or I'm gonna erupt. Have a nice day.

NiGHTMARE said:

You'll be choking on your words when Doom 3 has the best game soundtrack ever made (well, except the Command and Conquer series of course)

Yeah, the Red Alert 2 music rocks. "Gentlemen, this is a nuclear device... Time is running out." :)

Shaviro said:

I have to disagree with all of them. As I said last night, none of them can produce, and also, if the music job was given to them they'd a) probably just re-use stuff they've done before and b) make every single song heavy metal, which is not good.

Guest Johnny Kaos
Shaviro said:

Choose!

1. You are an idiot?
2. You don't like the fact that Trenz Reznor is doing the music?
Well neither do i :|

Who the FUCK is trent reznor?

I think they should hire some orchastra guy.
and let him conduct some evil ass shit with the electric giutar section.

Please tell me you did NOT just ask who Trent Reznor was...?

Sigh...

(Trent IS the nine inch nails)

S./

Guest elyuca

Good idea. I dont think its been discussed yet. Hold on let me look back at these 8000 posts......... Nope, music not discussed yet!

NiGHTMARE said:

It's all very well doing as Maonth did and give a list of bands, but can they actually PRODUCE the music as well as playing it? I think not.

Dude... Trent's production SUCKS! That's my biggest gripe with him. It got a little better on Fragile, but hardly one song on Downward Spiral sounds even half-assed. His "great production" is this: turn the recording volume up 900%, then turn it back down to 90%. WOW WHAT A GREAT PRODUCER!!!11

Guest Johnny Kaos
SoKatH said:

Please tell me you did NOT just ask who Trent Reznor was...?

Sigh...

(Trent IS the nine inch nails)

S./

yeah I asked...
I dont happen to be into that kinda shit.(shit as a general term NOT referring to the music)

sounds like a fag name to me...

Lüt said:

There must be something wrong with my brain now how can I like Trent's music when you can't oh Great One? Maybe I should see a doctor about this, maybe he'll remove my brain and eat it because I like NIN right?

I'd say if you can't see through his music, you aren't very musically weathered. I'd recommend a vast array of other stuff but it's hard to pick a starting point. If you're really interested, I'll give you some stuff to start off with, but since you'll probably just ignore me I won't bother yet.

Really? hmm, I'm at work at the moment so I can't do much right now. Every time this discussion comes up, I tell myself I'm going to do an entire website explaining my point of view on this issue and give my examples and proof instead of just mudflinging at NIN, but it always ends up being too much work. If I get a fair amount of free time soon, I might do that. What I usually do is give a list of CDs or MP3s for people to try and find in the store or on Napster, but so far maybe 2 or 3 people have taken the time to even check out a few of them, so that kinda ruins my motivation. I will get to it soon, so, maybe within a week I'll have something up. I think I might just make a TI update out of it, then everybody can duke it out on that particular comment thread - I'll probably set a record comments count when I do that too ;)

Sure bucko, I wouldn't mind a list of what you listen to. You heard VAST yet?

Oh, and naturally don't worry about starting YET ANOTHER fucking thread on Reznor. Jesus, who still cares? I think we all know each other's opinions by now but if you feel you can change opinions go ahead. :)