Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tagart 666

Trent on DooM lll

Guest Tagart 666

I realy like the fact that Trent Reznor is doing the soundtrack to DooM III, as long as he doesn't make it like Quake1. I want to hear cool mood setting music,(the key word is music)not ambient sounds! I got the soundtrack to "The Crow" and it would be awesome for DooM III, especially Dead Souls by NIN. I think trent will listen to the original DooM and make music somewhat similar. Just get rid of the stupid Rage Against The Machine song on "The Crow" ALL THIER SONGS SOUND ALMOST EXACTLY THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

True.
And I know what you mean about RATM, although, they do have two good songs;
Killing in the Name of, and
Gorilla Radio.

Damn it dude, read other posts before starting this again:

http://www.doomworld.com/forums/doom3/messages/11119.shtml
http://www.doomworld.com/forums/doom3/messages/11111.shtml

Two topics in the last two days already covered this.

Look, kids, its not even for certain that Trent IS doing the music for Doom 3. Lemme spell that out for you again: there are only unsubstantiated rumours that Trent is doing the music!

Anyway, if he is indeed doing it, that is wicked. But as was aforementioned this topic, for the time being, has been discussed to near-death. So do your homework before you senselessly post stuff, and make sure it hasn't already been discussed too much. These are the rules of the forum nazis... namely us...

S./

Guest Johnny Kaos

They hired me to coordinate the doom 3 soundtrack.

so you'll be hearing bustarymes, outkast, goodie mob, youngbloods, drama, and cash money.

SoKatH said:

Look, kids, its not even for certain that Trent IS doing the music for Doom 3. Lemme spell that out for you again: there are only unsubstantiated rumours that Trent is doing the music!

Anyway, if he is indeed doing it, that is wicked. But as was aforementioned this topic, for the time being, has been discussed to near-death. So do your homework before you senselessly post stuff, and make sure it hasn't already been discussed too much. These are the rules of the forum nazis... namely us...

S./

The rumours are far from unsubstantiated. Here's a quote from a feature about Trent and Nine Inch Nails.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2000/06/trent/index.html

"Then he confides that he’s been talking to John Carmack about scoring the music for a new version of Doom. 'I would do something like that mainly because it’s a hobby of mine, I appreciate the technology, and it’s fun to work outside Nine Inch Nails once in a while.'"

I'd call the fact that Reznor and Carmack have been talking to each other about the Doom 3 soundtrack rather substantial evidence, wouldn't you?

Shaviro said:

I don't. He's not a musician! He's.... The Quake soundtrack is completely crap.

It might not be good as music in it's own right, but it wasn't designed for that. You don't hear people going round saying that the Half-life ambient sounds are shit, do you?

Shaviro said:

I don't. He's not a musician! He's.... The Quake soundtrack is completely crap.

Alright, I gotta admit, as much as I hate the guy - don't JUST knock him for the Quake soundtrack. That I didn't mind; in fact the average track suited the accompanying maps quite well. Knock him for his REAL music instead.

NiGHTMARE said:

It might not be good as music in it's own right, but it wasn't designed for that. You don't hear people going round saying that the Half-life ambient sounds are shit, do you?

I think Quake must be a hard game to make a soundtrack to, but those Quake tracks (ambient sounds) dont fit IMO...

Oh yeah. Trent's real music is weird. Don't listen to it if you have a fever...

Lüt said:

Alright, I gotta admit, as much as I hate the guy - don't JUST knock him for the Quake soundtrack. That I didn't mind; in fact the average track suited the accompanying maps quite well. Knock him for his REAL music instead.

Have you heard Chris Vrenna's (formerly of NIN) soundtrack for American McGee's Alice? Now THAT is shit.

Eh... I still think id should have one of the following bands do the soundtrack... At The Gates (Swedish melodic death metal... download these songs for examples of their versatility... "Cold", "Blinded by Fear", "Into the Dead Sky", "The Flames of the End". The first two are blistering metal tracks, the second two are mellow instrumentals) or the Black Label Society (old guitarist from Ozzy's band, Zakk Wylde. For examples of his versatility, check out the following : "Born to Lose", "Counterfeit God", "Just Killing Time", "Rust", and then almost anything from the Book of Shadows album)

Then again, I could be wrong... At The Gates isn't for everyone, nor is the Black Label Society.

Trent might do a good job, but I doubt it. We'll see. I'm not a HUGE NIN fan, although I like songs like "Head Like a Hole" and "Terrible Lie".

All I can really say is, as long as he doesn't fuck up the mood of the game with the soundtrack, I'll be happy.

Guest Dark_Fox
SoKatH said:

S./

NIN is doing most of the soundtrack..
And what is this the 57th post bout the damn soundtrack?!
Jesus..

WhiteNoise said:

Eh... I still think id should have one of the following bands do the soundtrack... At The Gates (Swedish melodic death metal... download these songs for examples of their versatility... "Cold", "Blinded by Fear", "Into the Dead Sky", "The Flames of the End". The first two are blistering metal tracks, the second two are mellow instrumentals) or the Black Label Society (old guitarist from Ozzy's band, Zakk Wylde. For examples of his versatility, check out the following : "Born to Lose", "Counterfeit God", "Just Killing Time", "Rust", and then almost anything from the Book of Shadows album)

Then again, I could be wrong... At The Gates isn't for everyone, nor is the Black Label Society.

Trent might do a good job, but I doubt it. We'll see. I'm not a HUGE NIN fan, although I like songs like "Head Like a Hole" and "Terrible Lie".

All I can really say is, as long as he doesn't fuck up the mood of the game with the soundtrack, I'll be happy.

The Quake soundtrack was sucessful in it's purpose, because, it fit the mood of the game. It played slow and dark, with a sense of hidden art to it. The Doom soundtrack was also sucessful.

The Quake 3 soundtrack is also sucessful, noise industrial plays well with goth/techno art. (Oh, and yes, I DID buy the CD. Tribulation is a kickass track!)

Think about playing Quake 3 to Stratovarius (or if you are a bit more sheltered to metal, Megadeth). The music would be too fast and high toned to really fit the feel of the game properly.

You know, I don't care if Trent does his usual borderline industrial yet still New Age style. I don't care if he does the heavier stylings from Broken or some of the pure 80's from Welcome To The Hate Machine. He could do more of the stuff from Quake 1 for all I care. The important thing is that it has to suit the game as it goes along... this also means the music will probably be interactive as well.

So long as he just mixes the shit out of it and plays well I'll be fine; he oughta keep his damn mouth shut though, I'll admit that. His voice has nothing to do with the game, and I did find it rather distasteful that he used his scream as an instrument on the title track of Quake. Of course, it worked well in "Erased, Over, Out", but that's a song of words, not a song of conveying fear or exhilaration.

Everyone just likes to bitch about exactly why they personally hate nine inch nails. What does that have to do with this project? Can you openly compare the Misfits to Samhain?

deadnail said:

Think about playing Quake 3 to Stratovarius (or if you are a bit more sheltered to metal, Megadeth). The music would be too fast and high toned to really fit the feel of the game properly.

See... I've played Quake 3 to stuff like Meshuggah... it seems to fit the fast-paced gameplay... Some people might not like that... I wouldn't play it to Megadeth because of the fact that Megadeth isn't as heavy... it doesn't make me want to kill things. Fast has nothing to do with it... Meshuggah beats the speed of Megadeth tenfold. A lot of Metallica works, except their newer crap...

Corrosion of Conformity seems to work pretty well for Quake 2...

Quake 1 works well with Gravity Kills...

As for Doom... I've played Doom to At The Gates and the Black Label Society, as well as Pantera, Lizzy Borden, Alice Cooper, Alice in Chains... it all works well depending on which level I'm on... if I'm on say, E2M8, the song that works best is "The Flames of the End" by At The Gates (hey, it's mellow, but powerful). If I'm on something like E1M1, then a song like Lizzy Borden's "Ultra Violence" suits it well.

It all depends on your tastes, and what you pay attention to when you hear a song...

Guest JudgeDooM
deadnail said:

You're right on the Quake soundtrack. It's cool, it fits perfectly the mood of the game. I donno why some people here don't like it. Anyways, anyone has its tastes...But I don't like very much Quake III soundtrack, it's almost like if there wasn't any music...

WhiteNoise said:

Well for me and Doom it started with playing Die Krupps over Doom with cdplay.exe in DOS. :)

Everytime I hear Infectious Grooves I wanna sit down and play Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. Don't laugh, Michael Muir was in that group!

Amorphis (Elegy) really gets me into Final Fantasy 3.

Final Fantasy 7 was played start to finish listening to the Obsolete album by Fear Factory. Demanufacture, tho, (as well as Think About Mutation's Hellraver and the Van Richter remix album "Not now, not here, I said get out, get out of here") make me want to lean back on the couch with my Gameboy and Final Fantasy Legends 2.

Of course, the absolute best mix of game to external CD I've heard is Hexen and Fields of Nephilim, particularly that double best-of CD.

Lower me down. =)

WhiteNoise said:

What is really cool is playing some of the Doom1 Episode 2 and 3 levels to Sepultura's Chaos A.D. - I used to play that during Doom for months before I got a better soundcard and went back to the MIDIs.

WhiteNoise said:

zakk wylde is from jackson nj, thats like right down teh street from where i live. my dads friend met him. ...this has nothing to do wiht the subject but i jsut felt i put in my 2 or less sense. i still think metallica has good songs for doom. master of puppets obviously. weve been over that a billion times. e1m1. oh and if there are any metallicans out there. jason is leaving the band, he said it was the hardest decision of his life but he said that all the years have been to much or sumpthin.

Yeah... I've always made jokes about Zakk having a southern accent (when he sings) but yet being from New Jersey...

Suffice it to say, I got a lot of my playing style from the guy. He kicks ass. Your dad's friend is a lucky dude.

And Jason's leaving Metallica? Can't blame him... I'd leave too, if my band wrote "I Disappear".......