What Os would u rather have??

1)Win 98/95/me/nt/2k/3.x
2)linux
3)solaris
4)unix
5)Beos
6)Java Os
7)Dos
Personally, i would rather have beos because its raw speed and never crashes( unless u make it crash)

8) That IBM os of a few years ago (I've forgetten its name, no-one used it anyway)

Win 3.1 wins it for me. Damn, I miss it... ;)

BeOS is **FUCKING AWESOME**, if only there were more games for it!

However, there aren't, so I'm sticking to Win98.

Well I've worked with everything there cept for solaris, beos, and java os.

Win is good for everything... considering basically everything good is made for it.

A WORKING version of WindowsME would suit me well. However, I'm not going to wait around for the 4th release when they finally get 80% of it's features working, so I'm sticking with Win95 for now. I still prefer Dos6.22/Win3.11, but they don't run anything anymore. If they did, I'd be using those.

I got a new PC two months ago, and whaddaya know... Windows ME. I hear a lot of complaints about compatibility problems and such, but I haven't had much problems. Some DOS programs act weird or won't run at all, but generally I have less lock-ups and other problems then I had with Win95.

I haven't really extensively used another OS in my life (well, except CPM/2 on my 1985 Schneider MicroComputer with 16K RAM), so I can't really relate to those.

NiGHTMARE said:

8) That IBM os of a few years ago (I've forgetten its name, no-one used it anyway)

I use both win98 and LINUX, i like both but i am still learning linux

Guest fraggle`

i've been busy installing OpenBSD on a box that i found a week or so ago, its pretty good, nice and clean

DOS!!!!!!!!! Of course, there are no new programs for DOS, but if I had it my way, everyone would be having to use the C:\ command prompt. I love DOS, and the only reason I even have Windows is because nothing runs in DOS anymore. My second choice would be Windows 3.1, because that's the last good version of Windows, and it's installed on my old 486.

Guest fraggle`

ugh dos... i really am glad that microsoft is finally doing away with that. not that I have anything against command lines, infact I probably won't use an os without a command line, but legacy dos code is probably the cause of 90% of windows crashes.

Guest fraggle`
NiGHTMARE said:

OS/2 Warp you mean

Guest JudgeDooM

I use Windows 98. Of course, I had crashes, but I'm ok with it.

Guest dmddoug

windows 98 + HP Hardware = crapiest computer i've ever owned (stabillity wise). I don't think i've ever had a more buggy build of software on any computer i've ever owned than with the one i've got now. When i was working over the summer I got a chance to use win. 2000 professional and win. NT. I like them both very much. NT runs extremely smooth and i rarely had any problems with it except for compatibility with many applications. Win. 2000 Pro has a lot of features useless to your average computer user but i loved it and since it was built completely separate (not like how win. 98 was basicly a facelift for win. 95) it runs a lot smoother than win. 98 and is for the most part compatible with most of the apps i needed and wanted to use. so when i build my new computer this fall its gonna have win 2000 professional.

Guest Dark_Fox
fraggle` said:

ugh dos... i really am glad that microsoft is finally doing away with that. not that I have anything against command lines, infact I probably won't use an os without a command line, but legacy dos code is probably the cause of 90% of windows crashes.

Windows ME is the only windows that shipped without dos.. Its udder crap.. DOS is the foudation of Windows and for the most part a very stabile OS.. Windows is crap.. Dos is pretty fucking good.. I like it..

What OS eh? Depends what I wanted to do....win 98 SE isn't great for stability....but it runs all windows games and apps and all that, so for a games system one would have to go for that (ME is nasty). For a server I'd go win2k/Linux, depending on what I want to do and how easily I can do it in linux.

Uner no circumstances would I touch OS/2....and I dunno why 3.1 is in the same category as win 2000....they arn't the same thing...generations apart.

GavinJCD

Guest scumbag

Why the hell aren't any BSDs on your list? The BSD daemons seem right up the Doom community's alley. Only one person so far has even mentioned OpenBSD. What OS would I want? OpenBSD for stuff that has to be secure, FreeBSD for most everything else.