• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest WolfenDoom

Sega has ditched the Dreamcast.

Guest WolfenDoom

Sega has ditched the Dreamcast.

Sega has pulled the plug on the Dreamcast after huge losses on the next-generation console proved too much for the company.

Four years of losses on the console has forced Sega’s hand and the machine will be manufactured until the end of March. Marketing for the system will continue until current supplies for the console have run out. In the mean time software will still be developed for the gaming system.

Sega will be turning its hand to software development with five PS2 titles and two for Game Boy Advance planned. No word, as yet, if the company plans to develop for PC.

This leaves Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo to battle it out for the top selling machine.

And considering what a huge failure the PS2 is compared to what they were expecting...

Lord FlatHead said:

Quite.

burton was the best bassist that i've ever heard. probably the best that ever lived. oh that jus tcame out of noware

This was just a rumor, and has already been dealt with:

http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/computing/01/23/sega.dreamcast/index.html

Also, I heard directly from Heather Hawkins, Manager of Gaming PR @ Sega of America that this is just a rumor, and not based at all on fact.

Lüt said:

Ha, that's funny: companies still make console systems. Hahahaa.

Yeah, because everyone knows that computer games always far outsell console games. No wait, a moderately successful console game will move 1,000,000 units while a PC game has to be horrendously successful to do that well.

masterhassan said:

burton was the best bassist that i've ever heard. probably the best that ever lived. oh that jus tcame out of noware

Nah the best bassist that ever lived (and still living) is Les Claypool. :)

Psyonisis said:

Damn you get cooler every time you say something.

The best quote I can think of at this second is from Fudge Tunnel:
Kill 1 man and you are a murderer.
Kill thousands and you are a conqueror.
Kill everyone and you are God.

By the way, EVERYONE loses money by selling consoles systems. Sony lost $28 MILLION the FIRST DAY of sales of the PS2 in Japan. The problem with the Dreamcast is when they cut $50 off of the price to compete with Christmas... that cost them a reputed $127 million dollars in revenue...

It's doubtful Sega will make another console system, however, with the harddrive still coming and so many games in the works the Dreamcast isn't just going to be 'dropped'.

After the DC dies out in a few years Sega will probably just become a game company. They're already developing games for other systems, if you keep up on the news.

Psyonisis said:

I don't care much for Primus, but I gotta agree that guy rules, especially live. They opened for Rush years back, the guy was amazing.

Linguica said:

Yeah, because everyone knows that computer games always far outsell console games. No wait, a moderately successful console game will move 1,000,000 units while a PC game has to be horrendously successful to do that well.

Are you agreeing or making fun of me again? Yes, consoles tend to be more successful in overall game sales and stuff, but us technologically educated people know what's more powerful and more capable.

N'Sync and Britney sell more than Devy T or In Flames, but who are the better musicians?

Psyonisis said:

right on! les claypool is the best bassist alive or dead! however we should not forget matt freeman...

Psyonisis said:

im sticking wiht burton (although claypool kicks ass, have you heard the new version of nativity in black by black sabbath wiht primus and ozzy? its awesome) on the liner notes for master of puppets it says that the intro for damage inc. is bass. sounds kinda like chello. but then chello is bass. but ive never heard anyhting like that out of a bass.

Lüt said:

Are you agreeing or making fun of me again? Yes, consoles tend to be more successful in overall game sales and stuff, but us technologically educated people know what's more powerful and more capable.

N'Sync and Britney sell more than Devy T or In Flames, but who are the better musicians?

Hey, another In Flames fan (?) =)

Guest Lament
Psyonisis said:

Sorry, but the best bassist was Charles Mingus.
Cliff was just a good musician :)
Anyway, there's no need for good bassists in rock-related music.