Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest uptown

Any one have any idea what kind of game DooM

Guest uptown

Anyone have any idea what kind of game doom is gonna be like, like is it gonna be like quake3 or its gonna have its own single player mode and awesome dms. What is it gona be mostly on, dms or single player. Cause I think even i'm a dm fan, id made a big mistake not creating single player for quake 3.

Well 40% of messages below wroted exactly about what kind of game it might be, so if you want to know just try to read them.

Bout Q3A: id sad that it would be multiplayer-game, and only after they've sad that it could include the single... I think id did right chose to concentrate on m/p in Q3A couse nowdays s/p and m/p are rather different, so...

Not a multiplayer game with it´s own singleplayer mode, but a singleplayer game with it´s own multiplayer in addition. Main aspect: singleplayer.

Quake3 is a strict multiplayer game, the option to play against bots also simulates multiplayer mode and is called singleplayer only for the one reason, that you play as a single human against artificiall players (bots).

wasted said:

Well 40% of messages below wroted exactly about what kind of game it might be, so if you want to know just try to read them.

Bout Q3A: id sad that it would be multiplayer-game, and only after they've sad that it could include the single... I think id did right chose to concentrate on m/p in Q3A couse nowdays s/p and m/p are rather different, so...

Nowadays to be a good S/P game it has to have an intrigueing storyline and long playability life (most games get you hooked for about 20 hours and then they are boring, a good game lasts and lasts).

M/P is a brainless shootfest where you are killing other people but they don't die - sounds like a good place to do war rather than in the real world.

Personally I thought Q3A had really bad balance because the bullets didn't hurt you that much, and some weapons about killed you instantly (there was no random damage, unless you count being different distances away from an explosion as random [hehe]).

UT has bad balance too, because nearly all the weapons can kill you instantly.

In order for doom 3 to have any sort of addicting power it must be:
1) Based off of doom (lol, but it is!)
2) Have good gameplay balance (Big guns hard to find, small guns a little more dangerous than they have been).
3) Have an element of randomness to it so each game is different and there are (nearly) infinite possibilities.
4) Have lots of toys an items to keep us kids happy (weapons and items).
5) Must be hard, but not too hard. Should be a challenge but not something that makes you beat yourself in the head because you keep screwing up.

Q3A Balance:
Gauntlet - Melee, 2 hits close kill
Machinegun - Weakest weapon
EVERTHING INBETWEEN - All equal power if USED WITH SKILL, 2 hits, maybe one if direct hit
BFG - Strongest weapon, like if the Plasma Rifle shot rockets :)

BTW, the quad damage actually just triples damage... bullets go from 6 to 18... rails go from 100 to 300... yeouch!

UT Balance: Hard to judge, need lots of skill because all of the weapons are just SO DAMN FUNCTIONAL! :)
Piston: Possible instant kill, must be point blank.
Enforcers: Weakest, damn good damage though, especially with two!
EVERYTHING INBETWEEN: Will probably take between 2 to 5 hits, depending on direct hit and or what the speed of the weapon is. The exception would be headshots with the Ripper or Sniper Rifle, and maybe 1 to 4 seconds with minigun depending on armor.
Redeemer: FUCKING REDICULOUS. Everything in a 500 foot radius is instantly TOAST. :) Of course, you can shoot down the missles...

All in all it's a VERY FAST PACED game in which you need a LOT of skill with the weapons to succeed. C'mon, a shotgun AND grenade launcher in one? How fucking aesthetically beautiful is that?!

Doom 3 Notes:
1) Agree. Except for the lol. :)
2) Agree.
3) Remember my Darius level idea?
4) Definitely agree.
5) Somewhat agree. Bosses need their HP either cranked way the hell up or get some damn brains!

In fact, there´s a console command that represents the number of times the damage is multiplied while using Quad. Setting it to 0 is really funny when the other guys don´t have a clue...

sirgalahadwizar said:

Multiplayer is not brainless, or can you play for example Capture The Flag without using your brain?

Q3A weapons have a very good balance, the only unbalanced weapon is the BFG, it totally destrois gameplay because eery nerd goes straight to the dumb BFG to earn some easy frags.

Also the Machinegun has it´s own advantages:
1) very high rate of fire (only Lightning Gun has higher)
2)bullets hit instantly
When a player is already wounded it´s very easy to kill him the machinegun (you just have to aim).

deadnail said:

point 3: You mean the different exits from every level --> different storylines. Would be real new game experience if it would work.
You have an episode, with maybe 10 levels. Every possible order of that 10 levels will create a new story?

The biggest problem with the multiple exit solution is the great chunk of the game that you´ll never experience the first time. It´s really hard for the game designers to make beatifully crafted, scripted levels and only use 40% or less at a time.

Instead of replayability, it´s a lot better to have long singleplay. Of course, it should mantain a nice flow and keep entertaining the player. Quake 2 had a lot of levels and they were mostly fun. Unreal had way too many, and the disconnection between them made graphics look nicer, but gameplay get boring.

The best thing to ensure replayability is modding. Instead of just some TCs like those wich we can see here on DooMworld, DooM3´s gonna attract all the Unreal/Quake fans. The mod community will grow sooo large that we´ll hardly need weird solutions. Take HL for example, it has a long singleplayer, but I keep installing that game NOT to play the official release, but to play USS DarkStar, They Hunger 1&2, etc.

A very nice way to make games more replayable is to have a ton of options while selecting difficulty level. Think of SOF, it had a "custom" setting. Improve it to the point when it has tons of options that range from classical "equipment quantity" up to "amount of lights working".
Add an advanced AI that is capable of navigating the levels, so enemies will be found in different places. Add a random placer to have more diversity. Add a spawn setting like in Hexen, where crappy monsters where added to the level every 5 minutes. Make them appear "out of your sight" so they look like if they were tracking you.
Another nice thing to have is limited carrying capacity, wich prevents the user to have ALL the weapons and ALL the ammo types at full quantity, so he can experiment with new stuff.

The game will probably spawn several Mission Packs, and of course, megawads. iD should focus into creating the "ultimate single player experience" and not the "ultimate replayability experience". I want iD to focus specially on one storyline, and not many branches.

Besides, if you´re still ending DooM 1 & 2, so what´s your problem??

I ended Hexen 23 times (including several times the mission pack, the classes and the difficulty) and Hexen II like 15 times.
I can´t remember how many times I ended DooM, and like 6 times Quake 1.

I think the best person to answer your questions is mister John "I am the code" Carmack :

taken from JC´s .plan file :

"It wasn't planned to announce this soon, but here it is: We are working on a new DOOM game, focusing on the single player game experience, and using brand new technology in almost every aspect of it. That is all we are prepared to say about the game for quite some time, so don't push for interviews. We will talk about it when things are actually built, to avoid giving
misleading comments."

Now I realize something... if Steed wouldn´t have been fired, we wouldn´t know anything about this game...