Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NiGHTMARE

Another cool game

Anyone here think that the Quake 3 engine sucks? Well, there's a PC version of Medal of Honour: Allied Assault being made that uses the Q3 engine, and from the latest batch of screenshots available, it looks like it's going to have almost photo realistic graphics (umm, if you remove the models that is :) )

I'm not sure if they're available anywhere on-line, but they're in the latest UK PC Gamer. Apparently the game uses a new lighting model that does away with crappy unrealistic lens flare and instead uses the same type of glare the human eye gets from bright lights.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it, as the fact that we're starting to get photo realistic first person shooters bodes very well for Doom 3...

Did you see the Duke4 screen shots a year ago? Photo-sourced hi-res textures. DAMN that game is gonna rock... assuming I can break 4 frames a second on this Voodoo 3...

Heh, trust me, this game looks even better.

One thing that worries me though. More and more games are starting to use photos as the source for their textures (e.g. this game, Return to Wolfenstein, etc) because creating realistic, good looking textures from scratch at the resolution's that textures are getting to now is pretty much unfeasible (unless you want to spend a couple of days on one texture).

How in god's name can they do that for Doom 3 though? Especially if part of it is in hell. Are Kevin and Adrian going to kill themselves, get buried with cameras in their coffins, and return as zombies?

NiGHTMARE said:

Heh, trust me, this game looks even better.

One thing that worries me though. More and more games are starting to use photos as the source for their textures (e.g. this game, Return to Wolfenstein, etc) because creating realistic, good looking textures from scratch at the resolution's that textures are getting to now is pretty much unfeasible (unless you want to spend a couple of days on one texture).

How in god's name can they do that for Doom 3 though? Especially if part of it is in hell. Are Kevin and Adrian going to kill themselves, get buried with cameras in their coffins, and return as zombies?

Adrian and Kevin skills are incredible. They use sometimes photos as bases for their textures. The only real utility of scanned images is just the creation of materials. You´re not going to find one of those 6 m x 8 m techno-chapel decorations near your garden.

Tetzlaff said:

They maybe have to build up a whole horror movie set for that...

hey you got somethign there. they did use sculptures and models for some of the original doom enemies. maybe for doom3 they could make scale diaramas for the levels. like theay used (?) to do in movies. tehy used vidual toy models for some scenes in return of the jedi. like the scout racer scene.