Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Disorder

Is this the future ???

Check out the winning jpg-file of the Doom-Artwork-Contest.
http://doom.enemy.org/ethh/ambush.jpg

Will Doom 3 look somewhat like this? Or even better? I'm not really interrested in all those technical aspects of games still to come, so please keep it simple...

I would think the geometry would look even more complex than that. Aside from the guys on poles and the light fixtures, there's nothing very complex. The lighting is nice though.

The reflections in the water look nice too... But imagine yourself "in" that picture. With everying moving and creepy sounds... It would be nice I think.

Disorder said:

The reflections in the water look nice too... But imagine yourself "in" that picture. With everying moving and creepy sounds... It would be nice I think.

I think that's a floor dude...

Guest Dream Destroyer
Lüt said:

What water?

More likely he pissed himself.

Charon said:

I think that's a floor dude...

Erm, a reflecting wooden floor. Riiiggghhht.

I guess this is a case of "feature abusing".

DAMNIT!!!! If I knew there was a Doom Art Contest, I probably would have won!!! Fuck! www.angelfire.com/mn2/bjkap/mydrawing.html ... Oh well.

I hope Doom3 will look better! This pic is ugly, just a mess of pushed up old Doom elements thrown together. What´s the point with the water surface? It more looks like a shiny marble floor, totally out of place...

Guest wrexsoul

I should hope old doom textures, plastered across crate shaped levels, lit by gay disco, and put ontop of some shitty looking floor wouldn't be an indication of what doom3 is going to turn out like.

This screenshot looks like it would be something Cranky Steve would be interested in. (somethingawful.efront.com/cranky/)

No at all, the future is far better than that. Mmh, for example, we´re talking about new textures, probably 256x256 as a minimum, wich are combined with a special bumpmap done solely for that particulary texture. Just take a look at the walls, Zman used the regular doom textures and targeted as bumpmap the same source, so the effect isn´t really working as it should be.
The floor´s just a flat mirror blended with a texture. In DooM3 you´ll see the reflections get distorted because of the joints between the floor stones.
The architecture´s obviously better than that, even Quake 1´s was better. Curves, curves, curves...
The lighting and item placement´s just a way to show stuff.
The image lacks of dark, high-biased shadow maps, so you´re not going to see, for example, the circular spot that the torche´s structure casts over it´s foot.
Expect REEALLY higher polycounts than that.

That image could be done with the NetInmerse engine (discarding the bumpmap) and could be believable recreated with the Nocturne Engine.

Guest RIP

That's what the current Doom source ports should be looking like.

NiGHTMARE said:

Erm, a reflecting wooden floor. Riiiggghhht.

I guess this is a case of "feature abusing".

Feature abusing? What the hell Nightie, haven't you ever polished one of your floors? You've never seen a reflection from tile or wood? God you're unsanitary.

Guest fraggle`

i hope not, that screenshot looks bloody awful to me

disco doom... ugh. overuse of coloured lighting does not make a level look good.