Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hopeless

Monsters per Room in DooM 3

Guest Hopeless

I was just thinking about this. In original doom, every room is filled with at least 5 people. Sometimes even more! Then in quake 2 you get 1 or 2 at best and maybe the third one far away. Half-Life isn't that rich on monster population either.

So my worries are that DooM 3 will not have enough monsters stuffed around. Now dont get me wrong, I love DooM. I would not make any decision about the next DooM before it comes out. But I would still like to get to get that feel from DooM... You know, open door, aim with shotgun, bam, monster dead. aim again, repeat until the room is cleared...

Unfotunatly, with the games taking the multiplayer on I don't see that anymore.

k. hald life had the best monster placement. you never knew if the room you were going into had somethign in it. if you heard something you coul dnever be sure if it was friedn or foe

Hopeless said:

Unfotunatly, with the games taking the multiplayer on I don't see that anymore.

Funny, you'd expect there to be at least twice as many monster in multi-player mode than in single-player mode. At least that's how I do my maps.

Have you ever played Serious Sam? That 3D game shovels TONS of enemies at you, sometimes over 50 without getting a real hitch in the framerate.

Quake 2 didn't give you that many enemies because there was no LOD technology in the game. Level Of Detail technology automatically scales down the detail on the models. In fact, you can have five enemies with about as much draw on the system as two if they're spaced right. If something's thirty feet away LOD tech just strips down the detail. You won't even notice.

I doubt iD wants to slip behind Croteam in tech so you know what? Doom 3 will have full rooms of blazing death. I'm almost sure of it.

deadnail said:

I doubt iD wants to slip behind Croteam in tech so you know what? Doom 3 will have full rooms of blazing death. I'm almost sure of it.

This is exactly the point, so I think it is almost a guarantee to see hordes of monsters in Doom III.

masterhassan said:

k. hald life had the best monster placement. you never knew if the room you were going into had somethign in it. if you heard something you coul dnever be sure if it was friedn or foe

Being chased by gargantua to the two coils in the beginning of the railroad maps is the best monster encounter in any game I've seen... and those tentacle thingies were awesome too... and unlike everyone else it seems, I don't think Xen was that bad. It got a bit annoying with those flying screaming head-dudes, but I didn't find much else wrong with it.

Guest Stealthy Ivan

I hope they stock the levels with monsters, lots of them...! And I also would hope to see good use of the monsters, not just a bunch of guys standing in a room waiting for you.

Guest Dark_Fox
Espi said:

Being chased by gargantua to the two coils in the beginning of the railroad maps is the best monster encounter in any game I've seen... and those tentacle thingies were awesome too... and unlike everyone else it seems, I don't think Xen was that bad. It got a bit annoying with those flying screaming head-dudes, but I didn't find much else wrong with it.

I do say HL was the BEST SP experince ever!

Dark_Fox said:

I do say HL was the BEST SP experince ever!

You SOB! I outta kill you! DooM was the best SP experience ever!
If you dont agree get out of here!

Guest SwordMaster

YAHHHHHHHHHHHH
to push the grafics up into heaven is on thing
but please dont change the gameplay of doom2
or i wont by this game
like my friends say: we are searching for a game that goes back to roots (means: pleas give me a game like blood or doom2 and all of us become happy)

Guest Aradiel

It needs monster by the truckload. When I walk into a room in Doom 3 (if my computer will be able to run it - sigh), I wanna be assailed by hordes of demonic evil bastard guys. Of course, I wanna be able to see them too, I wanna play in low-light rooms (like in Doom 1&2) but not utter darkness (Doom3 preview video).