Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Merlyn

Multiplayer Support For Doom3 ?

Guest Merlyn

What sort of Multiplayer support will there be for Doom3...... if any ?

From a John Carmack .plan update late last year:

"Our next game will be a purely single-player experience. We at id feel that Quake 3 has captured the essence of deathmatch as perfectly as anything we could ever hope to do, so unless there is some drastic change in our game plan, the new DOOM will not include a multiplayer option."

Guest Merlyn

Sigh..........

Im sorry to all you Quake 3 fans, but Q3 is a crappy game.
It has horrible Multiplayer DM..... and the visual graphics are too cartoon like. I still play Quake2 as a Multiplayer DM game, because it has everthing Q3 lacks........and The weapons dont give a splash damage of 100 yards =P
I was hoping that Doom3 would be a good Multiplyer game to move onto, but I guess im wrong =(

Linguica said:

From a John Carmack .plan update late last year:

"Our next game will be a purely single-player experience. We at id feel that Quake 3 has captured the essence of deathmatch as perfectly as anything we could ever hope to do, so unless there is some drastic change in our game plan, the new DOOM will not include a multiplayer option."

It would be stupid to release a game without multiplayer option in these days. I´m very sure Doom3 will have a multiplayer option just like Quake2. Maybe not many maps included, but what I´ve heard they will include an easy to use level editor. So we can expect user made maps soon.
I think some of the deathmatch classics will be remade very soon, such as:
- Lost World (q3dm17)from Q3A
- Cold Storage from UT
- The Edge (q2dm1) from Q2
- A Bad Place (q1dm4) from Q1
- Hollywood Holocaust from Duke3D
- Dead Simple from Doom2 :)

Merlyn said:

Sigh..........

It has horrible Multiplayer DM..... and the visual graphics are too cartoon like. I still play Quake2 as a Multiplayer DM game, because it has everthing Q3 lacks........and The weapons dont give a splash damage of 100 yards =P
I was hoping that Doom3 would be a good Multiplyer game to move onto, but I guess im wrong =(

-Some boring Halflife people don´t like the original Q3 weapon designs, but they can not tell they are cartoon-like. Some people say Q3 is too colourful, some other people (or even the same) were complaining for years that Q1 and Q2 were all brown.

-Weapons are better balanced for MP than in Q2 (except the fucking BFG). Rocket launcher, grenade launcher and plasma gun have splash damage and all the other weapons don´t, so what the hell...?!

-Q3 speed rules, Q2 speed is for grandpas.

Merlyn said:

Sigh..........

That's a matter of opinion. Many people have already found a game that's perfect. Quake3 is too pro-oriented for most people, that's what those who play it appreciate.

D3 will hopefully have at least Coop mode, i believe carmack meant he had reached perfection in the game of DM, not general multiplayer. I hope they do some sort of MP, then, the modmakers will have network code in the engine to work with and make "real" mp game modes. I guess it'll be hard tho, there's been MANY attempts at making SP in Q3, and all have failed so far.

I am in high hopes that Doom3 will have at least Coop. Thats where I got most of my joy in... in.... somwhere around when I was 8-10 years old, playing in those really cool custom made player maps with my brother. (He'll probably be in college by the time Doom3 is out now, never thought I'd see the day.) If not, I'm pretty certain someone will make something like Sven Coop in Half-Life at the very least. Heck, if I learn any bit of coding I would make an attempt (and fail miserably, probably).

Guest tropikal

i totally agree about coop mode. that was my favorite to play over the modem with my friends. deathmatch is kinda fun for a bit, but after a while it becomes clear who will win, and it becomes boring. coop we both have mad fun! besides, i've been playing practically nothing but boring deathmatch since q1, q2, and now q3. the half-life team multiplayers (cs/tfc) were really fun for a while, but they still have a lot of the problems of deathmatch (theres a loser, some players are better, some players act like total assholes). if id could create a satisfying, atmospheric blast fest like doom1 e1 w/ fast monsters, or doom2 level 16 on nightmare i would love them even more if thats possible!

Guest DoomJustSender5
Tetzlaff said:

-Some boring Halflife people don´t like the original Q3 weapon designs, but they can not tell they are cartoon-like. Some people say Q3 is too colourful, some other people (or even the same) were complaining for years that Q1 and Q2 were all brown.

-Weapons are better balanced for MP than in Q2 (except the fucking BFG). Rocket launcher, grenade launcher and plasma gun have splash damage and all the other weapons don´t, so what the hell...?!

-Q3 speed rules, Q2 speed is for grandpas.

holly wood holocaust
amen

ps i used to mak thousands of duke nukem levels
hey will they have a level maker