• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mad-Ray

Interactive environments...

Guest Mad-Ray

Hi!

Just a wanted to know ppls' opinions on whether the doom3 game environment should be totally interactive?.. Basically be able to destroy all or part of what is around u. Like in Duke Nukem 4ever and Red Faction etc.
I personally would love to see this as i hate finding those damn keys and switches... need to open a locked door- a quick shotgun blast should do the trick :-)

Would this make the sytem requirements tooo high? WOuld it upset the balance in game play?

Now nervously awaiting my special coffee......

Cheers all

Guest DoomJustSender5

nope that would make it way to easy maby just for fun but not to get past hard areas

/me doesn't give you some special newbie coffee, instead i gives him some of my regular patented coffee

The reason I didn't kill you is that your first post was an actually good and intelligent one.

Welcome to the doom3 forums dude.

Red Faction has a completely destructable environment, but not Duke 4. It's still based on a heavily modified Unreal Tournament engine. Making that game 100% destructable would require a total rewrite... which wouldn't make any sense since they paid over $300,000 for that thing.

No matter WHAT gameplay is involved you can make it challenging. This would simply change the need for keys, and instead make it either find the switch or lose some precious ammo. If you can blow down any obstacle than only some weapons should be able to, and their ammo should be limited just to keep it challenging.

Oh yeah, welcome to the Doom 3 forums here on Doomworld bucko. Glad to see an intelligent new person. =)

Guest Mad-Ray
DoomJustSender5 said:

nope that would make it way to easy maby just for fun but not to get past hard areas

Nooo plz I want my coffee... it would make me feel better! :-)
And i dont want to be left out.... :-)

Plus I need a cuppa!!!

I guess thats true in a sense that just blasting holes to the exit point would be too easy but i would like to see some form of interaction, bullet holes, blowing off chunks out of the walls etc. It would be interesting to see how Duke Nukem will pan out and play.

I rem reading s/where about Tim Sweeny writing about interactive environments being the holy grail of 3d engines/games, it would be interesting to see this put into use, esp the likes of this Doom game. I mean John Carmack and co def have the "smarts" to do it!!!

Another question for ppl to ponder is the feeling of large outdoor maps?? i guess its not really in the Doom tradition, but hey this is a new game ... why not have a few large open areas to break up the dark corridor feel???

hmmmmmmm

Cheers

Guest JudgeDooM
deadnail said:

Red Faction has a completely destructable environment, but not Duke 4. It's still based on a heavily modified Unreal Tournament engine. Making that game 100% destructable would require a total rewrite... which wouldn't make any sense since they paid over $300,000 for that thing.

No matter WHAT gameplay is involved you can make it challenging. This would simply change the need for keys, and instead make it either find the switch or lose some precious ammo. If you can blow down any obstacle than only some weapons should be able to, and their ammo should be limited just to keep it challenging.

Oh yeah, welcome to the Doom 3 forums here on Doomworld bucko. Glad to see an intelligent new person. =)

I've heard that the Duke 4 engine is going now to use the Unreal 2 engine. Is it true? 3D realms are stupid to take everytime a new engine. If they continue like this, Duke 4 will never be out.

Guest JudgeDooM

Hey!
For the firstime, I can welcome a new guy :)
So, welcome to the DW forums. Have fun and I hope you like MACVILEWHORE's coffe :)

JudgeDooM said:

I've heard that the Duke 4 engine is going now to use the Unreal 2 engine. Is it true? 3D realms are stupid to take everytime a new engine. If they continue like this, Duke 4 will never be out.

First it was Prey, then they realized that it would never be finished in time so they bought Quake 2. Then Unreal showed up and it suited the game better so they bought that. Then Unreal Tournament came around and they patched up just for the netcode and better bots.

They made a joke in a recent interview to switch to Lithtech so they can take another four years. Given the sarcastic nature of this joke I doubt they will make us endure another engine swap. Especially considering that the Unreal 2 engine DOESN'T EVEN EXIST RIGHT NOW. =P

Damn them... damn them! I WANT THAT GAME NOW!

Guest JudgeDooM

Yeah, me 2. I hope it will have the same feeling as Duke 3D.

Thx for the info btw.

Guest Mad-Ray
Mad-Ray said:

Nooo plz I want my coffee... it would make me feel better! :-)
And i dont want to be left out.... :-)

Plus I need a cuppa!!!

I guess thats true in a sense that just blasting holes to the exit point would be too easy but i would like to see some form of interaction, bullet holes, blowing off chunks out of the walls etc. It would be interesting to see how Duke Nukem will pan out and play.

I rem reading s/where about Tim Sweeny writing about interactive environments being the holy grail of 3d engines/games, it would be interesting to see this put into use, esp the likes of this Doom game. I mean John Carmack and co def have the "smarts" to do it!!!

Another question for ppl to ponder is the feeling of large outdoor maps?? i guess its not really in the Doom tradition, but hey this is a new game ... why not have a few large open areas to break up the dark corridor feel???

hmmmmmmm

Cheers

Thanx E/body!! :-)

Cant wait to see what the next Doom chapter holds... actually it was Quake that got me into PC games, the dark graphics and atmospheric music and sound had me hooked the first time I installed it into my HD... I know a lot of ppl didnt enjoy the "browness" and lack of colour/color but it didnt bother me at all.

I know some ppl say that the new doom looks too dark... but I like that, alone not knowing whats really out there, and that amazing lighting effect really intensifies and adds to the scare factor and mood of the game imo.

Im not too fussed about the story line.... as long as there are cool weapons and bad-ass monsters to shoot IM IN!!!!!
Cheers all!!

:-)

I would love to see destructable walls and stuff... Just as long as you dont blow your way into the void or something. It just gets annoying when you launch three rockets at someone who hides behind a three inch post (a wooden one, none the less) and doesnt get a scratch. One rocket should blow the post of pieces as well as the person on the other side.

What? They don't even get the rockets right. They fly too slow to maintain momentum. They have large billows of flame yet they aren't incindiary rounds, don't ignite anything nearby, and the flames themselves don't even hurt you to run through. Soldier Of Fortune has the best explosions yet. If you combine Duke64s, Blood 2s, and SiNs then you've got some badass video-game specific explosion goodness.

Yeah, good post. Welcome to the Forums, both D3 and General. I look forward to more posts from you, if they are all this intelligent. I totally agree with the detructable environment thing. BTW, when's Red Faction coming out? From what I've seen this game'll kick some major butt. Forget Unreal 2! I want Red Faction! Gimme!