Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Tags that fail to work

Don't know if it's ever happened to anyone else, but I was playing through Map27 of Doom2 (Monster Condo) and remember that blue door? You open the door, hit the switch and the four blocks with bad guys come down to your level, and so does the one big block that has the red skull key and a Soul Sphere. Well, this time, only two of the smaller blocks came down. After fighting off the Revenants and Hell Knights, I had to noclip to the red key and Soul Sphere! Has this ever happened to anyone else?

I don't think it's happened to me in an IWAD, I've been trapped by incorrect tags many times in pwads though.

But then if I was gonna build a really hard map I'd leave out the exit =)

I always trigger the four blocks individually (by grabbing the ammo in between them) and only the big central block is left when I press the switch. Maybe it's because you leave the blocks up? (just guessing 'cos it's never happened to me)

(a few minutes later, after examining map 27 in WA)....

Ahh! I know why. The trigger on the switch is a Floor: S1 down to highest floor +8.
The central block starts at floor height 192 and the four outer blocks start at 128. (ground is at 0 units)
So if the outer blocks are still up when the switch is pressed, the central block will only go down to floor height 136 (the height of the outer blocks plus 8 units) so that's why it doesn't come down.
If the blocks are down of course, the central block drops to the ground +8, as that is now the highest floor.

With Zdoom 22, on one of the E4 maps (can't remember witch one) you have to kill a cyber demon to get to the exit, but under Zdoom 22, the bars blocking the path don't open.

Ct_red_pants said:

With Zdoom 22, on one of the E4 maps (can't remember witch one) you have to kill a cyber demon to get to the exit, but under Zdoom 22, the bars blocking the path don't open.

Ct_red_pants said:

Yes, but they DO open, albeit very very slowly. Just go there, kill the cyberdemon and watch the bars with some patience; you'll see them rise bit by bit. I know this, since I've been on that level (e4m6, as esayeek cryptically noted) on coop zdaemon servers, and zdaemon is based on zdoom 1.22.

Archvile64 said:

Why did BBG edit Ultimate Doomer's reply?

He double posted, so I took his second post, deleted it and pasted it in his first post. I always do that.

yeah but in doing so you deleted the time gap between what he initially said and his later realisation. Only merge if it is actually the same time period, like a broken sentence or if someone has done it on purpose.

I've seen a few tags broken by Jdoom in various SP megawads (e.g HR and Requiem map07)

Must hate beating all the enemies in map07 and the step to the exit switch not rising correcting or being stuck in e3m2's index finger. It's also aggravating when nothing happens after you beat the cyberdemon in UAC_Dead.

Gokuma said:

Must hate beating all the enemies in map07 and the step to the exit switch not rising correcting or being stuck in e3m2's index finger. It's also aggravating when nothing happens after you beat the cyberdemon in UAC_Dead.

with out jumping, you can get up to the exit switch if it raises 32 instead of 16 (which is what i assume you mean happened in your case)

The only problem i have evr experienced with tags is in "dsv4_rvltinL" damn, like in evry map there wuz a error in the tags then again those weren't regular tag properties.