Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tetzlaff

Newbie info No. 213: Bad weapon ideas

Hi newbies, this is a service for you: The Top 10 Bad Weapon Ideas. Featuring weapon ideas we already discussed to death as well as really stupid weapon ideas. So please read it and don´t come up with it once again.

10) The Railgun. Not necessarely a bad idea, but one of the most controversial discussed weapons since the very early days of this forum. Half of the people love the railgun, half of the people hate it. We discussed it to death already.

9) Flamethrower. Also not a bad idea, I personally would like to see it because it is a very unique weapon, and that is what I want in Doom3, very different and functional weapons instead of 10 flavours of high fire rate rifles. But many forum members are superstitious and think fire can´t hurt demons, so they don´t want a flamethrower. Discussed to death.

8) Quake style Nailguns. The Quake Nailguns are verys cool, but as the typical Quake weapons, it would feel a little bit out of place to see the Perforator in Doom3 (not you, Perforator ;-). Maybe some industrial type nailguns instead of it.

7) Sword. Doom is not exactly a fantasy or a Ninja game.

6) Medieval and magic weapons like crossbows, wizzard staffs etc. Also modern crossbows would feel out of place in Doom.

5) Uzis. Even deadnail dislikes them ;-)

4) The Golden Gun from James 007 Bond. I don´t know why, but several times newbies came up with that idea...

3)Laser Rifles. Cheap B-Movie weapons shouldn´t be included in Doom3.

2)Ripped off Archvile hand.

1) Overdone versions of the old weapons, like the Three Bladed Chainsaw, the Six Barreled Supah Dupah Boomsticks, the BFG 30.000, 40.000, 70.000 and 100.000 (without further discription), akimbo rocketlauncher and akimbo railguns and stupid shit like that.

If I forgot anything, please post it.
And if some of you newbies want to share a really stupid weapon idea with us, please feel free to post it here, but don´t open a new thread for it! Thanks ;)

Guest cHOWyunFATAL

you forgot the "pencil rifle"...it fires 300 pencils/sec.
Im sure we´ll find it in the office levles of Doom3........................just kiddin :)

Guest Heretic

And what about MacGyver's army knife as a weapon? :)

About the flamethrower...I'm one of the those who think it would be reasonable, but it shold be a REAL flamethrower. Not a weapon that hurls a ball of fire as rocket (as seen on some Doom2 conversions and B-style games), but a weapon with a dancing flame, that makes the enemies start runing with fire on their bodies, even if the only programation effort put on this effect is to change the guys skins and make'em go to the floor with pain.

Guest DoomJustSender5

You guys are right, all us damn newbies are ass.

Hey Doomjustsender, i didn´t wanted to say that "all newbies are ass". I just wanted to help the new guys not to drop a clanger again and again.

Heretic said:

About the flamethrower...I'm one of the those who think it would be reasonable, but it shold be a REAL flamethrower. Not a weapon that hurls a ball of fire as rocket (as seen on some Doom2 conversions and B-style games), but a weapon with a dancing flame, that makes the enemies start runing with fire on their bodies, even if the only programation effort put on this effect is to change the guys skins and make'em go to the floor with pain.

This is exactly the flamethrower I would like to see in Doom3. Because the weapons behaviour is all different compared to launcher type weapons or shaft type weapons (like a Lightning gun or the Pulse rifle from UT), and that is what makes it interesting.

Anyone here remember the name of the BFG in the Doom Bible? That's right, the BFG 2704. Considering that many weapons use the date as the model number we can guess that this was the intended time frame of the original Doom.

Over seven hundred years from now.

Seven hundred years ago we were clubbing things with maces and poking them with swords.

Repeating rifles, semi-automatic pistols, and machine guns haven't been around forever, most of 'em have only been around in the last century.

Hell, it took General Electric DECADES to figure out the timing behind the gattling gun. Now the damn thing lays down 3000 rounds per minute.

Thinking logically to weapons of the future:
1) Smaller, simpler, reliable, and customizable. Just compare the Colt M16A1 with the M4A1. That's the US Vietnam assault rifle vs today's US assault rifle (God forbid you're staring down the barrel of either). Although they both shoot 5.56 rifle ammunition at a similar rate the newer model is more durable, more reliable, and most importantly, much more customizable to fit the need of the battle.
. Fitting this, and with advances in cooling technology and cyclic firing mechanisms, gattling gun operations would be near obsolete. To tell you the truth, there are already single barrelled weapons that can fire faster than a gattling gun... only more accurate.
. The M1100 combat shotgun of the military would also be a museum piece at the time of this game. Pump action? Ptch. Semi auto, drum fed, select fire and a cooling system so you can fire it all day without the barrel going red (like they do now). This newer one would also support attachments like bayonets, grenade launchers, flashlights, scopes (for rifled slugs), and only God knows what else in that time. A portable laser gun? Not as far fetched as you might think, if it loads in fuel in little batteries from a clip like a pistol takes bullets.

2) The ammo itself would be dramatically different as well. We're already seeing advanced caseless ammo available for the top-of-the-line weapons that can use them. I want to see flying brass like the rest of you, but unfortunately, that would detract from realism. Fuck realism, I want my shell casings!
. Ammo, much like today, would fall into four main categories:
A- Armor piercing. Does what it says.
B- High Trauma. Not meant to pierce armor, but to split up and shred target from inside out. Fastest way to kill someone (like SWAT ammo of today, keeps target from returning fire).
C- Incindiary. Goes up in a billow of flame. Best way to burn some shit up from a distance. Mostly explosives in this category. There are even 9mm incindiary rounds although they're too unstable in storage.
D- HE. High Explosive. Blink, you're dead.
.With these four types of ammo for all weapons available any soldier would be much more effective in combat. Switching rounds to fire through an enemy barricade, again to ignite their storage depots, then over to trauma rounds to negate any resistance as safely as possible during extraction. Simple.

Lastly, I would like to point out that THIS IS A FUCKING MILITARY BASE. What does that mean?
-No farmer double barrelled shotguns. We're hunting demons, not ducks.
-No gold plated weaponry. Weapons are made by lowest bidder.
-No ghetto or otherwise fashionable weaponry. Keep your damn uzi.
-No Desert Eagle (although I'd like a Magnum semi-auto in there).
-No swords/lightsabers (what melee level combat would they expect?).

The only way I'll accept a chainsaw is if there is a Biodome with vegetation in it. Then it begins to make sense.

Whew, that was fun. :/

We should write a manual : "Smart Posting for dumbs (or newbies)"

A new guy should read it before registering...

deadnail said:

2704, no way...

I mean, shotguns? rifles?
C´mon, due to the exponential tech increase, we should have psi-driven simbiotic-cold-fusion-powered arm attachments using the body´s hydrogen. Each attack could erase a whole building.

deadnail said:

By 2704 if mankind is still around, I'm sure we will have developed some wonderful weapons to kill things with. I don't think they would bear much resemblance to today's stuff. In fact I would go so far to say weapons from that far in the future would seem, for all intents and purposes, "magical" to anyone from our time.

Heretic said:

<<And what about MacGyver's army knife as a weapon? :)>>

Heh. MacGyver could take out a cyberdemon with a stick of chewing gum and a paperclip. :)

davidender said:

lol. good, one!

Your icon reminds me of something : what the fuck happened to Jeremy ? I'm actually starting to miss the little guy's witty remarks :)

Stphrz said:

By 2704 if mankind is still around, I'm sure we will have developed some wonderful weapons to kill things with. I don't think they would bear much resemblance to today's stuff. In fact I would go so far to say weapons from that far in the future would seem, for all intents and purposes, "magical" to anyone from our time.

In 2704, assuming the world isn't run by cockroaches, the infantry will be obsolete.

Wars will be fought by bureaucrats pushing buttons. The main goal will be to destroy enemy supplies/depots and thus negate their fighting capability.

Any actual combat will be performed by life-like robots that carry heavy duty firepower. Picture a robot like the T-800 holding onto a 400 pound rifle that can lay down 5000 rounds of high-armor piercing ammunition per minute. The noise alone would deafen any human not wearing sound dampeners within a thousand feet.

What about a portable backpack fusion generator that can power a weapon that fires pulses of light... each one travelling not only at the speed of light but five times hotter than the sun? FOOM FOOM FOOM FOOM FOOM FOOM FOOM... well, there goes China!

Then again... what are we talking about? A FUCKING GAME. Naturally my above statements were based on the premise of PEOPLE VERSUS DEMONS IN 2704, not a more realistic look at people versus people in 2704.

Lighten up, Stphrz.

Guest JudgeDooM
Stphrz said:

<<And what about MacGyver's army knife as a weapon? :)>>

Heh. MacGyver could take out a cyberdemon with a stick of chewing gum and a paperclip. :)

LOL!

Guest Dark_Fox

Newbie for Dummies Volume 1 of 56

Guest Dark_Fox
Lord FlatHead said:

Your icon reminds me of something : what the fuck happened to Jeremy ? I'm actually starting to miss the little guy's witty remarks :)

I cry myself to sleep everynight..

Lolz!

Guest Hitmamta

So where does the idea of a sniper rifle fit in to this subject. Personally I get sick of always aiming for the main body mass I want headshots damn it. The enemies should have sweet spots that one shot will kill albeit it sometimes would be easier to go at them the conventional way.