Revenant!

automap

Hi !

At first, sorry for my english !
Ok..

what do you think about an automap in DooM III like in
the DooM-games before ?
Ok, it would have to be in 3D-style but I think it would
be senseful. In Quake for example, i really missed it.
If theres a large map, its a good way to get an overview.
Hmm...there should be an item, what you have to collect to make
the automap work. Later in the game you could be able to
find (or build...whatever) upgrades. Then the enemys in short
distance will be displayed. There could be an enemy who ist
able to jam the scanner..........

As I said many times for the other people on this forum, there´s no way to automatically build an automap. The only solution would be to have a low-quality version of the map, but that means the level designer should make it separatedly.
Heretic 2 solved this in a very good way, just a graphic. Every marine should have the maps of the installations.

I think maps would only make sense if Mission Briefings are provided at the start of 'missions' (which I doubt will be present in Doom 3). And I never really used them in the first two Doom games anyway.

Why not? But it mustn´t be in 3D, it´s just an overview map. I like the idea, I also used it sometimes in the old Doom games.

This is something I've talked about before but feel the need to bring it back up.

Anyone here seen a GPS? It's a Global Positioning System. It's a little thing about twice the size of a Gameboy that spits out your lattitude, longitude, altitude, time, and even temperature.

Parasite Eve 2 made good use of it, it functions as an automap that displays one floor at a time (but you can scroll through mapped floors). Connecting it to something allowed to you d/l the maps for the area you're in.

Another bonus of the GPS was if you attached it to your armor it functions as a mini-radar motion detector. When you get in a battle the screen pops up and you're the center, the blips are the enemies.

Wouldn't this just fit Doom 3 like a glove?

Since they've done the Aliens Colonial Marine look so heavily I think motion detectors would fit well. I too would love to see the return of the automap, and yes, it probably would have to have it's own data programmed into the maps to function. Hey, at least that's a way to put your name on the map when you put your logo on an used portion of the automap! :)

Aaaargh, stop talking about Paradise Eve. I'm sure it's a perfectly excellent game, but I DON'T CARE.

/me rides off happily towards the sunset

Zaldron said:

As I said many times for the other people on this forum, there´s no way to automatically build an automap. The only solution would be to have a low-quality version of the map, but that means the level designer should make it separatedly.
Heretic 2 solved this in a very good way, just a graphic. Every marine should have the maps of the installations.

Hi Zaldron...

>The only solution would be to have a low-quality version of the >map, but that means the level designer should make it >separatedly.
Oh, this would be a little bit much work......to create a good
DooM III map will be hard enough.

>Heretic 2 solved this in a very good way, just a graphic. Every >marine should have the maps of the installations.
Why not...An inaccurate plan of the current installation
is better than nothing.

Tetzlaff said:

Why not? But it mustn´t be in 3D, it´s just an overview map. I like the idea, I also used it sometimes in the old Doom games.

Hmm... that's right, 3D could be a little bit unclear.
A motion detecting device would be cool !

deadnail said:

...sounds pretty cool, but I've never seen the game
Parasite Eve 2 ! maybe that its not available in Germany.

Oh god (or better satan), I hope that DooM will be available in Germany......otherwise I've to emigrate :)

Lord FlatHead said:

I think maps would only make sense if Mission Briefings are provided at the start of 'missions' (which I doubt will be present in Doom 3). And I never really used them in the first two Doom games anyway.

Hmm... what would be the first mission briefing in Doom 3 ?

Revenant! said:

Hi Zaldron...

>The only solution would be to have a low-quality version of the >map, but that means the level designer should make it >separatedly.
Oh, this would be a little bit much work......to create a good
DooM III map will be hard enough.

>Heretic 2 solved this in a very good way, just a graphic. Every >marine should have the maps of the installations.
Why not...An inaccurate plan of the current installation
is better than nothing.

I agree. The Automap is a good idea, Deadnails suggestion about the Global Positioning system is a very good idea,

Or Maybe even the map for Project IGI.

Its map system was good, apart from the fact it was very green.
You clicked buttons to zoom in & out, (Hmm, remove that)
(Use the Plus (+) & Minus buttons (-) instead)
But when you zoomed in, it showed the names of the building, and as you soomed in, it showed more infomation, you could also use it to monitor the enemies path, Mind you IGI was a stealth shooter. But yeah make some changes, add color, and improve it
and you have a good system, also downloading maps is a good idea.

They probably will do that anyway! I mean IT IS DOOM!
that is my 5 cents..................................

It can be done, just look at Descent. Sure, the maps there aren't anywhere near as detailed as D3's will, but i'm sure carmack can figure something out. Also worth cheking out is Rainbow 6's overview maps in the mission briefings.

LorD BaZTArD said:

I agree. The Automap is a good idea, Deadnails suggestion about the Global Positioning system is a very good idea,

Or Maybe even the map for Project IGI.

Its map system was good, apart from the fact it was very green.
You clicked buttons to zoom in & out, (Hmm, remove that)
(Use the Plus (+) & Minus buttons (-) instead)
But when you zoomed in, it showed the names of the building, and as you soomed in, it showed more infomation, you could also use it to monitor the enemies path, Mind you IGI was a stealth shooter. But yeah make some changes, add color, and improve it
and you have a good system, also downloading maps is a good idea.

They probably will do that anyway! I mean IT IS DOOM!
that is my 5 cents..................................

...we've to trust id's inspirations
(and they're always good :))

deadnail said:

That'd be funny, having a baron come up behind you and you see a really big yellow blip approaching.

(::raises hand to shatter the marine into a million pieces when it noticies him fiddling with some gadget, totally oblivios to the surroundings::)