Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AIRmichael

Can doom 3 cause any damage?

I just read an article about the impact doom 3 could have to the player. Well i agree that doom 3 and the following games will be more realistic. The writers oppinion is that games that are so realistic, can cause many problems.

Check his article at http://www.3dactionplanet.com/features/editorials/q3dmhellchick1/

I dont agree that doom 3 will be responsible for peoples actions in real life. ID-software was blamed before though, because of some kid used to play doom 2. And shot someone. I hope everyone agrees that we are all responsible for ourselfs, and we cant blame others for our bad behaviour.

"Check his article at http://www.3dactionplanet.com/features/editorials/q3dmhellchick1/"

But whatever, not like most of you are interested in accuracy and good grammar anyway.

I think it's gonna make a bigger impact than any other game ever made... Just look at the graphics! It's like being in a movie...

MMh, I read the article and all the comments on the forum (3dActionPlanet, right?).

IMHO, a game that is displayed/processed in a system who has NO direct link with the brain´s sensorial system can´t cause that much problem. In fact, I don´t think there´s relation between violent games and violency, want some proof? How about an experiment?

This can only be applied on gamers, since they know what I´m talking about. So this by NO means gonna convince the rest of the people.

# Play 3 violent games of your computer. It doens´t matter wich ones, but make sure one of them is a FPS, another one a RPG and the other a RTS.

# Experiment 1:

Start with the FPS. Play a little, then quit. Do you feel violent? Yeah, sure, I would like too to carry 2 pistols akimbo-like, shooting everything and double-jumping my way. But that´s the normal desire of each human to approach their alter egos. Wouldn´t you like to be stronger? with magical capabilities? a hero? Sure, everyone does.

But that makes you violent? I ussually quit an FPS satisfied, happy. I don´t go to the livingroom and kick my brother, and let´s not talk about going out shotgunning people.

# Experiment 2:

Let´s go with the RPG now. People´s REALLY afraid of role playing games... they suck your mind and make you kill people! Yeah. Take a good RPG, BG 1/2, Fallout 1/2, Ultima, etc... Im not asking you for a good "game" but for a good "rpg". Diablo2 doesn´t count precisely as a rpg.

What do you do in these games?
Your vital and most important job -> Increase level. Note that this games have a lot more inmersiveness than FPS, and therefore, there are more prejuices about them. The fear´s mainly concentrated on Pen&Pencil RPGs, but all of them try to accomplish the same goal : Give the player a flexible world where they can solve each problem the way they want.

Have you ever heard of those cases where RPG addicts killed people? I think there was even a movie, go figure. What really scares people is that RPGs allow you to play whatever "role" you want. Being a holy crusader or a satanic pervert makes perfect sense, there´s no boundaries for your choices (except the ones handled by your DM/engine). The addictive formula of RPGs make them very inmersive players, but seriously... do you think they make you more violent? Sure, here´s where the alter ego thing kicks again... tall, powerful heroes weilding massive swords, slaying stuff. Everyone wants to do that.
Am I being accused of stabbing someone, screaming "Hail, Lord of the Woods!"

# Experiment 3:

Now, for the last part of the experiment, you´ll be playing the most "violency-inducer" game. Yeah, seriously. How many of you had screamed at your computers/friends/family when loosing AGAIN that goddamn level??!? In my personal experience, many times. This are the games that make me more violent, altough you think this is enough to snap a person? Do you think a person would grab his rifle and start shooting people yelling "Go, Go, Go!", "Commander?" or "It is a good day to die..."?

Games are a new form of art, and it will take many more years to acquire this status. Until then, they´re gonna be as massively criticized as once were TV, Movies, and practically every new "wave" or "style" in the rest of the arts.

Remember, as soon as WE take the important positions in the world... who would be blaming games? Us? The ones who love them? As soon as we displace the ruler generation, then everything´s solved.

I wouldn´t be too surprised if in 10 years humans stop making TV and movies, and move to a more "interactive" media of entertainment.

Similar as Disorder said. - Yes, the new Doom engine will cause a lot of damage. Whatever game id Software will publish with it, can seriously damage any competition. The rest of this article is just speculation IMO.

Zaldron said:

I WOULD be surprised. There will always be a market for people who just want to sit on their ass, not do anything, and be entertained. Hell, sometimes I'm too bored to pick up a game and just watch some movies.

I would say it can cause damage, if you look at posts 2 mins after announcement that Doom3 was to be released, and the posts after id movie on geforce3 was published, common IQ of posts here dropped to 3 points below average orang utang :)

LOL

Further analysis of brain damage should be tested on 50 DW@forums subjects after the gold announcement, the release date, and the patchs. We hope that, by analizing Dark Fox´s duck genoma we MIGHT be able to find a cure in the next 6 years.

Guest Clone999
AIRmichael said:

Is this about doom 3 or about language? Ok i wrote he by exident. So what?;)

Tell something about doom 3

I think if some little ass plays Doom and then offs somebody, that's his problem! I think If somebody plays a VIDEO GAME and then goes postal it's because he's an obsessive paranoid fuckhole.

It definetly won't cause any damage!
Don't tell me you would prefer Doom 3 over a babe :)