Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CHAINSAW+DGM

another TOP TEN

(see last TOP TEN post)

ok this time....hmmmm....how about
TOP TEN DOOM LEVELS BY ID!

1 E4M1 (can't remember the name)
2 E3M2 SLOUG OF DISPAIR (it's called some thing like that)
3 TOWER OF BABLE
4 THE INNER MOST DENS (DOOM2)
5 AND HELL FOLLOWED (ULTIMATE DOOM)
6 THEY WILL REPENT (ULTIMATE DOOM)
7 BARRELS O FUN (DOOM2)
8 E1M1 (gotta love it)(DOOM)
9 THE UNHOLY CATHERAL (DOOM)
10 THE GANTLET (DOOM2)

Your number one level, E4M1 wasn't made by id by the way :p

Here's a top five :

1. Quake's DM4 : The Bad Place
2. Doom's E2M2 : Storage Facility
3. Quake III Arena's Q3DM13 : The Lost World
4. Quake III Arena's Q3DM7 : Temple of Retribution
5. Quake's E1M1 : Slipgate Complex

BEST DM MAPS:

Q2DM1 -Q2
Q3DM17 -Q3
START -Q1

BEST SP MAPS:

MAP29 -D2
MAP(shit I've forgotten the name- you know, you start open a door and then, a CyberDemon and a SpiderMasterMind(only if you're playing on "I'm too youung to die") fuck you in your ass until you die:)

You know, DooM2 has the best SP maps- I'm sure every of you know the UNCOPYABLE athmosFEAR in DooM2.

Speaking of tough maps, has anyone played the "REoL Tough" series of Doom 1 maps ? Shit, they threw hundreds of enemies at you at one given time, surpassing even the most chaotic Serious Sam battles. Of course, the framerates were horrible and half the sprites weren't visible (Doom had a limit of 64 sprites on-screen) most of the time, but that were some classic moments.

I remember that to kill all the enemies coming out of one particular teleporter on Ultra Violence, I had to use up the complete Doom arsenal (what you get when you type IDKFA) THREE FUCKING TIMES. Insane.

Lord FlatHead said:

Your number one level, E4M1 wasn't made by id by the way :p

Here's a top five :

1. Quake's DM4 : The Bad Place
2. Doom's E2M2 : Storage Facility
3. Quake III Arena's Q3DM13 : The Lost World
4. Quake III Arena's Q3DM7 : Temple of Retribution
5. Quake's E1M1 : Slipgate Complex

Yes, those Quake maps are indeed in the top ten ID Doom maps.

Man, I wish people besides me would actually read entire posts.

Mmh, again, in no particular order :

# Q3DM17 - The Longest Yard
# Q2DM(?) - Tokay´s Towers
# E3M9 - Doom I (Very impressive the first time)
# E1M1 - A classic
# Out Lands (?) - strike.bsp from Q2
# Zigguratt Vertigo
# C´Thon´s Lair
# Q3DM(?) (The one with pulsating flesh coming out from the walls)
# Q3DM1 - Gotta love that big mouth
# MPTERRA1

Et tu Zaldron?

Look again at CHAINSAW+DGM's post, specifically the line "TOP TEN DOOM LEVELS BY ID!"

Note the word "DOOM".

All your brain belong to us.

Hehe...well, mmh, my only defense is this "Everybody else was doing it and I wanted to be popular" :)

I can´t fill a top ten about DooM levels. I mostly hate them, Knee-deep in the Dead are my only choices.

I wouldn't go quite that far :)

All the E1 levels are great (except maybe E1M9, I don't really like it for some reason).

E2 has quite a few good levels. E2M1 is all right, but E2M2 (Containment Area), E2M6 (Halls of the Damned) and E2M7 (Spawning Vats) are excellent.

E3 is pretty much all crap, although E3M2 (Slough of Despair) and E3M3 (Pandemonium) are good. E3M6 (Mt. Erebus) is just horrible. Is this by any chance a Sandy "I'm red/blue/green/yellow/brown/black/white colourblind" Peterson level?

I love most of the E4 levels, although there's one that's really shite. It's the one with BROWNHUG everywhere, ugh.

Doom 2 doesn't have many good levels, but map02 (Underhalls), map10 (Refueling Base), map11 (Circle of Destruction), map14 (Innermost Dens) and map18 (Tenements) are good. They're probably all Romero levels too =p And of course, map01 is one of the best DM levels ever made.

A few maps, such as map04 (The Focus), map05 (The Waste Tunnels), map24 (Bloodfalls), map28 (The Spirt World) and map29 (The Living End) are okay. Most of the other maps are just horrible, e.g. map06 (The Crusher), map09 (The Pit) and map12 (The Factory).

But map23 (The Chasm)... how the hell could anyone let this map into a game? It has to be one of the worst levels in any game, ever.

BTW, sorry if I got any names/level numbers wrong, I'm doing this all from memory :)

The Chasm! OMG, what a tasteless level. You´re right about E1M9, it doens´t have the same feel of the rest of Episode 1. While Knee-deep intended to be composed of "realistic" scenarios, E1M9 was some kind of exception to the rule.

E2M2´s probably the level that scared me the most. All that Imps hidden between the crates had me jumping of my seat all the time.

Inferno´s a really crappy place. I can´t even force me to end E3M2 (the hand thingie).
E4 has good levels, granted, but the architecture and general feel of the levels never caught me.

Most of DooM2 levels don´t make sense to me. Compare E1M1 with Map01 and you realize that most D2 levels are surreal, meaningless stuff.
I always liked levels that somehow were useful for the enemies. That´s probably why I don´t have many favorites on the DooM category. Even in my firsts attempts to make levels with the DooM engine (I started with Heretic), I always wanted to make "useful" rooms.

1. E1M1 (Hangar, Doom1)
2. E3M8 (Dis, Doom1)
3. E2M8 (Tower of Bable, Doom1)
4. Map20 (Gotcha, Doom2)
5. Map29 (The Living End, Doom2)

Hmmm...I can't think of a top ten but:

In DOOM these levles were GOOD:
E2M2 - I still get the creeps at the beginiing of the level...you can hear the imps, but can't see them.
E3M9 - 'Hey, it's E3M1! My game is F___ed up! I demand a bonus level! Ahh! Cyberdemon WTF?' Hehe. Well, the idea of a level you already played suddenly taking a turn for the worst and twisting you around was great.
E2M8 - Just seeing all those dead barons gives you the feeling somethings not right.
E1M8 - I've played it a million times, but the first couple of times, its pretty creepy. And the ending pissed me off so much that I wanted to get the registered version just so I could get revenge on the demons for killing me.

In DOOM these levels were BAD:
E1M9 - A real friggin dissapointment...you go through all the trouble of getting the bonus level just to see it suck worse than the rest.
E2M4 - Someone forgot to put the lights in.
E4M8 - Hells bells. Just another spider...thought they could make a new boss for the special edition.
E4 was okay, some levels were really good looking, but they all took a bit too long, and the cyberdemon placement was bad (think the end of E4M2).

In DOOM2 these levles were GOOD:
Barrels o' Fun - The beginning was a rush, level was sorta fun, and the music sounded suspiciously like 'Them Bones' by Alice in Chains.
Map31 - Yeah! Wolfenstein! Sort of a retro-trip for me. Pretty fun.
Map32 - Now this was hella cool. All of us old Wolfers knew how to find this level. Id takes us back even farther in this level, back to a time before the FPS, back to the days of Keen!
Icon of Sin - Used this level as practice while on god mode and while listening to cds. Used to make enemies fight each other, and go on playing for hours or until the game crashed (too many entities).
The Crusher - Don't know why I liked this one, the crusher-thing was fun, especially on Ultra-Violence.
Gotcha! - Whew! A cybie, a spider master mind, an arch-vile, and a baron all in the span of 5 minutes and in one room. They should have made that the last room instead of the first one.

These levels on DOOM2 were BAD:
Monster Condo - Something about this level gave me the creeps in a bad way...maybe because of the time when my friend killed an Arch-Ville while it was ressurecting a Baron and the bastard walked through the walls and off cliffs, chasing him through the level. <shivers>
Tricks and Traps - This level was just mean. One marine vs. a room full of 20 barons and a cyberdemon, teleporting monsters, blocks falling into lava neccecary for escape from the level (making a botched attempt on co-op a disaster), and just a pure sense of chaos.
The Chasm - Falling from thousands of feet up 10,000 times in a level is not my idea of fun. And whats with the building made of slime...
There are others I don't like in DOOM2, but just because I still havent figured out how to beat them (Nirvana, Spirit World, Suburbs).

NiGHTMARE said:

E3M6 at it's time was awesome!! I still love that level, it was my favorite map in Doom. I can see room for improvement now, like, being converted to Quake 3, but overall it's got the right idea. Just needs some polishing.

I liked Inferno the best. It's the first and almost only time I've seen anything it's style in a game. I know that when you get technical in terms of how the levels were built, they appear newbie-ish and sloppy compared to the rest but I love the textures and feeling of them. And I also dislike E3M3 the most in that episode, with E3M2 coming in pretty close ;)

I have to agree the earliest levels were best overall quality/most realistic, but they just don't suit my taste in maps.

Also, I liked the Chasm to a certain extent. I thought it was one of the more unique/moody levels in Doom2, a game which I generally hated, especially those lousy earth levels. Map12/13/15/16 anybody? Blech.

(BTW, I did my own Chasm level like 5 years ago. I liked it :)

That E4 level you're talking about is E4M5... ugly indeed, but seems to have a rather "real" feeling to it. It's like that slow and quiet song that loud and heavy bands throw on their albums: odd, perhaps out of place, but necessary.

Doom2 just didn't come anywhere near Doom in my opinion. I suppose it's an OK game overall, but Doom1 has the mood and uniquity.

NiGHTMARE said:

I liked chasm, it really isn't that hard to walk on the narrow sectors, and it looked nice. And the slime building was weird in a positive way. And it isn't map23, it's map24

Has anyone played PIR's Doom2 maps?
All complete new maps from 01 to 32.

Those were really a challenge.

Lord FlatHead said:

Speaking of tough maps, has anyone played the "REoL Tough" series of Doom 1 maps ? Shit, they threw hundreds of enemies at you at one given time, surpassing even the most chaotic Serious Sam battles. Of course, the framerates were horrible and half the sprites weren't visible (Doom had a limit of 64 sprites on-screen) most of the time, but that were some classic moments.

I remember that to kill all the enemies coming out of one particular teleporter on Ultra Violence, I had to use up the complete Doom arsenal (what you get when you type IDKFA) THREE FUCKING TIMES. Insane.

yea played that
after about 5 minuets you just end up trapped in the middle
being shot over and over by the shotgun dudes
as your pistol slowly runs outta ammo

NiGHTMARE said:

Yes, those Quake maps are indeed in the top ten ID Doom maps.

Man, I wish people besides me would actually read entire posts.

thank you for complaining about that
it saved me alot of time

HEY HOW ABOUT YOU DO THE NEXT TOP TEN OK?

(No particular order)

1: Perfect Hatred
2: The suburbs, with -fast
3: Mount Erebus. Ugly, but cool design.
4: The spirit World
5: The living end
6: Monster condo
7: Can I say Quake's Azure Agony?
8: Containment area
9: Spawning Vats
10: The courtyad, again with -fast

CHAINSAW+DGM said:

thank you for complaining about that
it saved me alot of time

HEY HOW ABOUT YOU DO THE NEXT TOP TEN OK?

Then again, you wasted just about the same ammount of time thanking him :-)

Jayextee said:

(No particular order)

1: Perfect Hatred
2: The suburbs, with -fast
3: Mount Erebus. Ugly, but cool design.
4: The spirit World
5: The living end
6: Monster condo
7: Can I say Quake's Azure Agony?
8: Containment area
9: Spawning Vats
10: The courtyad, again with -fast

NO!
GOOD BYE

1. Icon of Sin(Doom2)
2. The Courtyard(Doom2)
3. Spawning Vats(Ultimate Doom)
4. The Focus(Doom2)
5. They Will Repent(Ultimate Doom)
6. Deimos Anomaly(Ultimate Doom)
7. Phobos Anomaly(Ultiamte Doom)
8. Phobos Lab(Ultimate Doom)
9. Hell Beneath(Ultimate Doom)
10. Tricks n Traps(Doom2)
and my personal favorite Doom2 level
11.Refueling Base(Doom2)
and my favorite Ultimate Doom level
(well it's not really a level so sue me)
12. Episode One: Knee Deep In The Dead