Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Necromancer

Damage and options menus

I hope iD incorporates weapons damage into Doom. What I mean is weapons jamming or misfiring, automatic weapons overheating, or even having guns fall apart. This would make it a little more challenging as you would constantly be looking for new weapons lying around, and your gun might fall apart if you don't watch your firing habits. It would also greatly increase your chances of dying in low-intensity combat.

Just for the trigger-happy bang-bang crowd, a menu to turn these types if options on and off should also be included. In my opinion, there should be a submenu for special damage effects. These should cover weapons damage, manual weapons reloading (clip based), manual item pickup (not just running over the item to pick it up), realistic ballistics, auto-aiming, picking up only ammo from guns on the ground if you already have them, dropping weapons, weapons safety switches, and realistic carrying capacity.

If there is the option for multiple characters, this should have its own section to turn on and off, so you can do a single person game or have a squad. To accompany this option, there should be options for squad weapons (not having one person carry all weapons featured in the game), character switching, and squad commands.

Any other options that can be thought of can also be put in, with the options to turn them on or off. I think iD should go this route, with every possible function you can think of, with the option to install them if you want them in the game, and the option to turn them on or off while in the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good idea. I like that. It would suck however when you're face to face with big cyber, and suddenly your gun refuses to fire... Whoops... :)

Jamming and misfiring: Several hundred years from now? Assuming that they're still using cartridge-based munitions I'm pretty sure they would have figured out how to stop this by then. Hell, just compare a M1911 to a Glock... there's only 70 years difference between them! What will another 70 years bring, let alone 700 (as proposed by the Doom bible BFG title)?

Overheating: You ever fire off all eight shells in an M1100 as fast as you possibly can? That barrel glows red. I would also assume better cooling apparatus would be built into futurisic infantry weapons. This is the big downfall of the Tommy Gun... that barrel goes white pretty quick and folds over! =)

Guns falling apart: They are made by the lowest bidder, but even today we have plastics that are stronger than steel. What kind of plastic-resin would we have by then that's:
1)Super Cheap
2)Super durable
3)Super heat-resistant
That would make the weapons almost indestructable, and at the same time cheaper to manufacture and maintain.

Manual Weapon reloading: Yeah, clip based. 40 rounds in clip, 5 clips left. You drop a clip you shouldn't instantly recover the remaining rounds in it.

Realistic item pickup: Especially if id loses the 'floating gun' concept and moves on to ultra-animated single models, then it'd be really kickass to crouch and pick up a firearm.

Realistic ballistics: Define realistic. One 9mm round blowing off half of your face and killing you instantly? At this stage in technology I'd be DAMN happy just to have GUNSMOKE and EJECTED SHELLS EJECTING FROM, GASP, THE EJECTION PORT. You never know, they might look cool, IT CERTAINLY HASN'T BEEN TRIED BEFORE.

SoF has gunsmoke, and fucking Resident Evil has the shells ejecting from the right spot... why not Q3A or even D3?

Weapons safety switches: What? A lot of assault weapons simply do not have safeties! That's more of a civilian thing right there, in combat they just introduce a risk factor. However, I am ALL for selective firing speeds!!

I like the weapon malfunction idea. In fact, I think that a good punch from a Hell Baron would quickly disarm you. How in God´s name you´re able to keep holding that weapon when you´re being hit by a truck?

That would be the Imps prefered attack method. Lurk in the shadows, completely frozen and silent, looking at you. As soon as your back faces him, he´ll leap and slash you with his claws. I think the firebolt was a very gay idea in a monster who looks and feels like a rabid assassin. Imagine how the screen would jump and turn red, while a inhuman scream fills your speakers. All of this combined with the fact that you just happened to loose your gun, lying on the ground a few meters ahead.

About the options... NO, NO, NO! That would ruin the experience. Select how many "realistic" features you´ll encounter will make reviews (both from press & users) very partial and subjetive.

Disorder said:

Good idea. I like that. It would suck however when you're face to face with big cyber, and suddenly your gun refuses to fire... Whoops... :)

Yeah, you see your guy hit the gun, yell "SHIT!" as he drops it turns and runs like hell. Hahaha, that would be pretty cool. Would definitely get your adrenaline flowing. =)

Guest fraggle`

i did not bother to read your post. all i have to say is could you please remove that huge long line from your signature. it is incredibly annoying having to scroll windows because of stuff like that. thank you.

deadnail said:

OK, no safety switches. Selective fire rates would be good, thanks for reminding me. Now what I mean by realistic ballistics is trajectory and impact pressure of the projectile. The bullets should drop over long distances, and the impact pressure should lessen as the projectile travels. This only applies to bullets and shotgun pellets, however, not rockets or rail guns or plasma rifles.

One point about weapon development: guns are getting cheaper to build with less moving parts and the cheapest possible materials for the strength required, which is the trend for military weapons now, so metal will always be a factor in making guns that fire cartridge-based projectiles. The research in plastics simply cannot keep up to the developments of heavier firepower for man-portable systems. Also, a superstrong plastic is very expensive to build, so it is not cost-effective. Heckler & Koch built a handgun completely out of a hardened form of Bakelite, but it cost $13,000 US. As I see it, cartridge-based projectiles will always be used until they are completely replaced by something equally as cost-effective and as simple. Jamming is another issue, and is inherent in all automatic weapons. Some guns jam less than others, and the faster you put bullets through a gun, the easier it is to jam. The probability of error greatly increases, so automatic weapons will never be jam-free.

----------------------

How about having a pig demon eat a pipe bomb or some sort of bomb you can control, push the button and watch him blow apart, always wanted to do that in Duke, I think Pipe bombs where the coolest weapon to use, in multiplayer and single. Nothing to do with weapon damage but with weapons being more interactive. Maybe there should be some kind of small bar that shows how much damage your weapon has taken, so you know how soon you should find a replacement. Another thing that might make the game a little more heart pounding is not having health, ammo, and weapons just laying all about wherever, would be funner to pry them out of the zombies hands after they die or your fallen comrades laying about, maybe some Weapon storage places in levels, where guns,armor, and ammo is on shelves, proped up against the wall, etc.

deadnail said:

Yeah, you see your guy hit the gun, yell "SHIT!" as he drops it turns and runs like hell. Hahaha, that would be pretty cool. Would definitely get your adrenaline flowing. =)

Hell Yeah!

I am assuming you mean the teammates, running away when they drop the gun,

That would be Cool!

WEAPON DAMAGE seemed like a good idear when i started reading this
but your just tryin' to complicate the game arn't you...grrrr
damn half life players....with their secondy fire and sniper mode
and all that crap

oh yea who elce hate's the controls for half life?