Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
doomsick

the blitz

ok, what kind of media blitz do you think we'll be seeing when it's release time? in all forms; tv, print, spin-off products (i myself wouldn't mind some cool doom action figures) clothing...etc? i think it will be the hugest marketing of a game the world has ever seen, the modern follow-up to the most important game ever. id won't be the only one making money that day...that can be safely assumed.

I don't remember id making a great deal of publicity for any of their previous games, and Doom doesn't really need it - the game is so huge it sells itself.

But where there's ppl wanting something, there's ppl who want to make it, so i bet there's gonna be a lot of cool stuf around. You could get quite a lot of Q3 props too, (mousepads, mugs, shirts).

I remember one of the ID folks held a contest some time ago, where the price was a chessboard with doom characters vs quake characters. I'd like to have that one :-)

One can hardly call mousepads, mugs, and shirts a media blitz.

Frankly I don't think the game will need one at all. Everything else will just to try to stand against it, though. Remember the Decent commmercials? "Not equal to Doom, better than." Ha.

DooM´s a curious phenomenon. Even those who started hardcore gaming with Q2 know the game, altough they may dislike it. Heck, If they show me Wolf3D for the first time right now, I´ll say "Hu, so?

Most of the "old" gamers know and love DooM. They may not play it, but they vividly remember the fun. id pushed tech so much with that game that the company was recognized as a leader. The press loves DooM, and it was one of the few "modern" (by modern I mean AFTER PACMAN) games to be recognized in the non-gaming community.

Do you think DooM needs advertise? Not really, it sure would help a little, but people that´s not aware of the new DooM sequel pretty much aren´t hardcore players, the game´s target.

Now that you think about it. DooM was a game for the public, so it´s not hard to realize the millions of units sold. But this one, I don´t know how it will work...

Will this game appeal to the Sims, Who Want´s to be a Millonaire and Barbie´s Sea Adventure gamers? Only time will tell.

Guest PFCGray

I don't think it NEEDS advertising, but I DO think it would be cool for it to come out with more novelty and toy stuff like action figures. Shirts would be nice too. One idea I had for shirts one time was have the monster in front, then on the back have 4 panels, each one showin a different part of its death animation. Even a caption on the back above the panels would be cool. For the Hell Knight, it could read "Nighty-night, Knight." And of course, the DOOM logo would be on the bottom of the panels. Hell, I've seen Quake action figures before. But, lets just leave that decision to id and the toy companies.

Zaldron said:

Will this game appeal to the Sims, Who Want´s to be a Millonaire and Barbie´s Sea Adventure gamers? Only time will tell.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say no.

:)

Exactly. So it will be no surprise if DooM3 don´t sell as many copies as it old brothers. But that´s not because the game´s worser, but because the gaming community now´s big enough to subdivide itself.

Guest lukin
PFCGray said:

I don't think it NEEDS advertising, but I DO think it would be cool for it to come out with more novelty and toy stuff like action figures. Shirts would be nice too. One idea I had for shirts one time was have the monster in front, then on the back have 4 panels, each one showin a different part of its death animation. Even a caption on the back above the panels would be cool. For the Hell Knight, it could read "Nighty-night, Knight." And of course, the DOOM logo would be on the bottom of the panels. Hell, I've seen Quake action figures before. But, lets just leave that decision to id and the toy companies.

http://www.yee-haw.co.uk/unfy2/

Some cool Doom figurines which I don't think are being sold anymore.