Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Unreal 2

Naturally, deadnail replied to some guy's post and in his reply he said something along the lines of "....but they haven't made Unreal 2 yet....". Unreal 2 does exist and will be realeased some time in late 2002.
Thought I'd bring this to everyone's attention, expecially all you Unreal fanatics. I myself never really liked it too well. It's good, but it's not Doom.
If you want to see more about Unreal 2, just go pick up Computer Gaming World's 201st issue. They've got this huge 6-or-7 page feature on it.

Guest Dark_Fox

http://www.unreal2.com
Beautiful, Doom3 may have some strong competition..

Guest JesusMk2
Dark_Fox said:

Who the Fuck is duck?

Who is this duck you speak of?

Guest JesusMk2
Dark_Fox said:

When is UT2 being released any wayz. Looks a little better the Duke Nukem Forever (www.3drealms.com), only by screens shots.

_________________________________________ __ _ _

Guest Dark_Fox
JesusMk2 said:

Ask one of the older members for he will tell you of the ducks great journey, duck is the wisest of the DOOM masters, beatin the entire game on nightmare with 100% across the board while blind, gagged, and fondled... He is the true master, and he is the DW Pimp.

Dark_Fox said:

I heavily disagree on that!
BARELY catches up to Quake 3 Arena standards!
Still No curved surfaces, the characters look pahetic!
All they did was: removed glide (now only direct3d), improved chracters complexty, added large terrain (looks like TA'S terrain to me) and that's it!
Shame on you Sweeney! You have no chance against Carmack!

The game will be sold in late 2002? Then guess what, it doesn't exist yet. If the damn game was already made it would be SOLD right now. I saw Gunman Chronicles in Best Buy ONE WEEK after I read the news headline that it went gold. One week. So you're telling me that Unreal 2 is secretly done and they're just waiting on releasing it?

Yeah, right. Who wants money anyway?

They haven't made Doom 3 either. They are MAKING it.

Guest Dream Destroyer
Dark_Fox said:

Ask one of the older members for he will tell you of the ducks great journey, duck is the wisest of the DOOM masters, beatin the entire game on nightmare with 100% across the board while blind, gagged, and fondled... He is the true master, and he is the DW Pimp.

All hail the DUCK!

JesusMk2 said:

When is UT2 being released any wayz. Looks a little better the Duke Nukem Forever (www.3drealms.com), only by screens shots.

_________________________________________ __ _ _

^
|
|
|

THIS GUY ISN'T ME!!

JesusMk2 said:

This guy is pissing me off...

1. He has Lut's face
2. He's mean for no reason
3. He always puts quotes in his posts... but they aren't quotes from anyone... they're part of his message, which is separate (wtf)

Guest Dark_Fox
Dima said:

I heavily disagree on that!
BARELY catches up to Quake 3 Arena standards!
Still No curved surfaces, the characters look pahetic!
All they did was: removed glide (now only direct3d), improved chracters complexty, added large terrain (looks like TA'S terrain to me) and that's it!
Shame on you Sweeney! You have no chance against Carmack!

The Unreal engine does support curves, its under advanced options..
I was a seperate unsupported option that was left there becuase the vid cards of the time did not support it, or could not run it..
I'm not saying Unreal is the best, the U2 engine is better.
The've redone just about everything. The quake3 character poly is count is about 1,000 to 5,000 the U2 has been tested from 3,000 to 10,000. This is very low compared to Doom3's 30,000.
The map poly count is 100 times higher than the orginal, so its even hight than Q3's which I believe from using the level editor only 4 time more than Unreal.
I'm not saying that it will be better than D3, but graphics are not everything, its not a game without gameplay..
That why UT did so well even in the overwhelming shadow of Q3A, the gameplay was simply better.
UT support 3rd Party editing, thats why its such a bitch to edit in any of the Quake games. Carmack is a the god of 3d but he does not focus much on 3rd Party useablity, you should not follow this blindly. Even he has his faults...
Q3 is the god of graphics, Ut is better on gameplay, they are two seperate fronts, they are both good game in there own repects.

bah... Epic have never made better gameplay than ID. Neither do the 3rd party support overwhelm ID too much, altho it's a bit better. Unreal was veeery boring compared to q2 too. UT's engine is hardly any better than U. U2 will improve a lot, but still, it's just barely touching q3.

Lüt said:

^
|
|
|

THIS GUY ISN'T ME!!

Heh, when i read his posts, i keep thinking it's you because of the pic :)

Guest Dark_Fox
DiSTuRBeD said:

bah... Epic have never made better gameplay than ID. Neither do the 3rd party support overwhelm ID too much, altho it's a bit better. Unreal was veeery boring compared to q2 too. UT's engine is hardly any better than U. U2 will improve a lot, but still, it's just barely touching q3.

You have your points, I'm taking a 3D class that studies the way Gameing engines and CAD, and other 3D prgms are put together, I'm not an expert but I do know what I'm talking about engine wise..

deadnail said:

The game will be sold in late 2002? Then guess what, it doesn't exist yet. If the damn game was already made it would be SOLD right now. I saw Gunman Chronicles in Best Buy ONE WEEK after I read the news headline that it went gold. One week. So you're telling me that Unreal 2 is secretly done and they're just waiting on releasing it?

Yeah, right. Who wants money anyway?

They haven't made Doom 3 either. They are MAKING it.

Guess again, deadnail. If they are making the game, then some part of it must exist.

According to various magazines and games sites, Unreal 2's release date is this summer...

Dark_Fox said:

About the curves. Yeah, it´s unsupported since even 3D cards have their own problems with bezier patches. How could Unreal with it´s Glide and MMX optimization possibly run them.

Anyway, with Q3A, id probed that there´s enough support right now to make curved surfaces an integral part of the game (Etherian Ship on STV : EF anyone?). Why the hell Epic didn´t implement them YET? Check those U2 pics, or the Unreal Tech pics, and you´ll see they´re doing nothing to support them. The result?

If you want to do really smooth complex surfaces, then you´ll have to spend 3 hours making something that would take a couple of minutes on Q3A. Those who are mapping for both Q3A and UT, try to make one of those flesh columns on UT. Yeah, right.

Remember that the "150-200 times bigger" means "150-200 times bigger WITH the terrain". 200 times more normal brushes on the screen, lightmapped? That would only work on a GF3 with it´s extensive T&L support.

Mmh, remember that Q3A´s an online specific game, pretty much the choice for competitions. id could not enhance the modularity because once you go that way, you open many, many doors for hacks and cheats. Altough you´re right that id games were never easy to edit, at least D3´s here to probe the opposite.

DooMBoy said:

Guess again, deadnail. If they are making the game, then some part of it must exist.

Just because there´s a part of something doesn´t mean the thing exists...