Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dark santaclaus

not a doom topic

i just want to ask what can i do about my ping in quake 2, i play with cable and my ping is 450 it is bad, i have seen people playing with a ping of 50 with cable, does anyboy knows what can i do??????

Guest c-d-w

fprot the tarball

or

bind z "say large ping = large wang"

Go here to test your bandwidth http://webservices.cnet.com/bandwidth/
then use the tech help to optimise

dark santaclaus said:

how?, do i low it???

I dunno, I was just being stupid.

I think it's just based on how busy your connection is. If you have some stupid crap like Napster hogging your connection, a T3 will run like crap so close out things like that and make sure your ISP didn't install any crazy crap on your computer which also hogs the connection.

Napster Is Good!!!

How fast is a T3 connection anyway??? (in Kbps)
I wanna get a new modem but I am not sure which type would work in my area, seeing as we won't get Broadband until Late 2002/Early 2003.

56Kbps Modems are Crap. (IMO)

Napster is not good, it's one of the worst pieces of coding garbage out there along with Netscape and WindowsME and AOL 6.0. They do not know how to use bandwidth. One person taking a song from me at 1k/sec slows my downloads down by almost 2/3 their regular speed. Now have 5-10 people downloading and it's like being on a 9600 baud modem all over again. (I have cable). Plus I won't even get into the fact that only 4% of outbound transfers and 10% of inbound transfers complete properly. Whenever it's not the program that's causing problems, it's one of it's stupid users. That thing is hopeless.

Uh, T3 should be something like 450K/sec... T1 is more like 150K/sec. I don't know about cable, but I've downloaded up to about 360k/sec so no point in wasting money on a T3 line, especially when it's up to other people's servers to put out that kind of speed which I am capable of getting but rarely get anyways.

The thing that sucks about cable is how its speed tends to fluctuate over a very broad range. Sometimes its so fast it's freaky, other times it's like using dialup again. It all depends on the number of users who are active on your node at any particular time. With a T1 or T3, you don't have to share bandwidth, so your speed is much more consistant. Of course those kinds of connections cost a lot more than cable.