Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Necromancer

Quake/Doom relation

I know this has nothing to do with Doom 3, but I notice some people have said that Quake and Doom are two completley different things. This is not the case. I remember reading somewhere (about 3 years ago) that Doom was being terminated at Final Doom because Quake was the continuation of Doom with a different game engine. Q1 was low-intensity, I agree, but the engine was very limited as to what it could put on screen at one time without filling up the RAM. Q2 is more Doom-style. Quake was designed as the successor to Doom, apparently, but they had to give it a new name because they were using a new story development and new engine. Q2 just changed the demons to aliens.

I guess this may not be too off topic after all. Have you guys ever considered that Doom 3 might be a continuation of Quake under a new name? Beats the hell out of me what they'd call it, but it's just an idea.

-----------

The original quake title was:

"Quake: Fight for justice"

The story was there was some organization called "Justice" (something like that) that had a bunch of good guys, and a few bad guys.

The "Justices" could teleprot to other dimensions and shit like that...

(I assume the evil Justices went to f**k up other dimensions, and you had to stop them)

(I am not making this up, this was from an an interview with Romero just before Doom II came out.)

id ended up using the interdimensional travel concept for quake, but everything else went from the Justice Plot type plot to a pseudo-occultic point of view, mixed with the midieval themes.

interesting...i always thought that quake1 came the closest to doom in terms of general feel and the way things looked...and all quakes since have stepped further away.

amanichen said:

The original quake title was:

"Quake: Fight for justice"

The story was there was some organization called "Justice" (something like that) that had a bunch of good guys, and a few bad guys.

The "Justices" could teleprot to other dimensions and shit like that...

(I assume the evil Justices went to f**k up other dimensions, and you had to stop them)

(I am not making this up, this was from an an interview with Romero just before Doom II came out.)

id ended up using the interdimensional travel concept for quake, but everything else went from the Justice Plot type plot to a pseudo-occultic point of view, mixed with the midieval themes.

Oh yeah, no one would be prepared for an interdimensional war without an axe and a shotgun... and absolutely nothing else.

Quake... pfft. What a fucking boring and brown game. Quake 2 had some action it in at least, while Quake 3 should've been free since it's only 1/2 a game anyway.

Before calling Quake brown you should realize the game was fixed to a 8-bit display. Show me nice results for the multiply blending of the lightmaps with more diverse palletes. The result? Greens and blues in places where there should not be, cause the engine picked the colors that looked pretty much like the real calculation. You can see this problem in Thief and Thief 2, specially on the most brighter textures...

I´m pretty happy how Quake turned out to be graphically. The artists made a lot of cool textures having nothing more than the brown, blue & beige.

Mmh, not really...
Let´s see :

DooM was a tale about a teleportation device that went wrong. The UAC, some sort of commercial/military empire, created this objects and made further testings on Mars moons. Somehow, the creatures from another dimension (a dimension that humans known from centuries ago, how? I don´t know) took advantage of this continuum disruption, and unleashed a pack of soldiers that quickly decimated the base and prepared it for a true invasion.

Quake tells a story pretty much similar, but there´s no relation with DooM. In fact, as Q3A probes, they´re alternate dimensions. While in the "doom" universe the hell hordes invaded, in the "quake" universe the humans are attacked by the inhabitants of 4 outworld-like dimensions, governed by Shub-Niggurath.

Q2´s also an alternate dimension. Here´s were the Earth´s attacked by the stroggos, a parasitic race who believes in evolution trought the consume of other life forms.

Q3A´s where everything fits. The Vadrigar, some sort of really hi-tech race with taste for the combat, steals from each realm of the Multiverse those who are among the finest warriors.

It´s frightnening... since the Multiverse is an array of infinite worlds, the tales that id crafted these years are actually possible realms.

There´s no way to ensure if the Multiverse is real, altough there´s plenty of theories that assume it´s existence. Also, there´s no way to tell if this worlds are possible, even with infinite options.

Want some proof? Take the assembly of odd numbers and the assembly of even numbers. There´s not even one element in common, but there are infinite choices.

deadnail said:

Oh yeah, no one would be prepared for an interdimensional war without an axe and a shotgun... and absolutely nothing else.

Quake... pfft. What a fucking boring and brown game. Quake 2 had some action it in at least, while Quake 3 should've been free since it's only 1/2 a game anyway.

THANK YOU finally for someone to be able to recognize that! I hav hated the origonal Quake in every shape way and form since it's oringonal release. It was just so incredibly boring and drab in appearance. Quake 2 did kick some serious ass, though. Now THAT is how a sequel is done folks! I STILL MUCH prefer Doom over .. well.. anything out there, even now! And I don't think that Quake 3 was even a half of a game. Though it should have been free just based on that alone. It had little or no point. Oh well Doom 3 is coming do destroy EVERYTHING. When it gets here that is..

deadnail said:

Quake1 and Quake2 have basicly the same colour scheme, so don´t call Q1 "fucking brown" and Q2 not. Q1 has brown, beige and grey stone colours for the walls, purple sky, blue water, red bricks etc., Q2 has brown oxide colours, grey steel, beige rocks, red sky... so what?

deadnail said:

I agree with the comment on Q1 being brown, but Q2 seemed sorta green to me. Odd, yes?