Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lengis

Colored lighting, and good use of Color

I know I might be flamed for this, but who else wants to see Doom be brighter than what we saw in the Geforce 3 video? I know it's just a super preliminary vid, but I hope the game is brighter than that.

Some people might say, Doom is supposed to be dark, well whata bout colored lighting and shit? I mean all da projectiles that those demons shoot, could be nice and vibrant colors.

Guest Matt PmRd

colored light oooooooooo Id cant code that!...

Im all for the dark areas. In fact, shooting lights would destroy them, kinda like every explosive in AvP, a bright flash, followed by a darkened room.

The game will be dark. I expressed why, and Carmack hints about it when speaking of his tech. Every point where no lightrays collide the world will look pitch black. Im used to games like System Shock and Thief, so I don´t really mind about that. Gamma freaks can always turn it at max, making RGB(1,1,1) look like bright grey, but the game will be plagued with black spots, tough...

The demon´s projectiles will look amazing due to the new shadows. The colors aren´t that important, but id artists will surely make plenty of scary blue, irritating orange, alarm red and obnoxious green lighting. I prefer smart lights over rave levels, bathrooms with purple light never attracted me...

One of the biggest complaints about the Quake games, is the lack of color. Everything is in Brown and grey, I don't wana see Doom3 end up like that. Besides, the original Doom1, and Doom2, do actually have bright hellish levels. Bright colors kick ass IMO, brown and grey is boring, and ugly.

Well, they couldn´t do anything in Quake 1. They needed the entire pallete of the lighting. Quake 2 and 3 are different stories, tough...

DooM had plenty of bright levels, but most of them suck. By today standards, they look even more awful than the darker ones.
I don´t know how bright can levels be now, it´s all a matter of the detail´s shapes across the levels.

The lack of color is often made to enhance the atmosphere. The texture sets of DooM3 will be dark, brown and gray mostly.

Nothing ruins more the scary factor than magenta and yellow rooms.

doom is dark. period. i don't think it's outside the realm of possibility to have darkness and rich color.

I think Doom 3 should be dark in the base areas. Not as dark as AvP, but still dark, maybe with a lot of flickering lights. In Hell, on the other hand, there should be plenty of light, though more of a twilight light. Lava pool and other various glowing things should shed enough light into the area, plus the sky should radiate some sort of 'hellish light'. It would be cool though for there to be a level called 'the Abyss' where its very dark and in Hell.

If the demo on macworld would be bright, then I wouldn't even bother downloading it!
Doom should be scary and bright enviroments are not the solution to that!
Oh well, Doom will be dark and scary anyway so there is nothing to discuss about.

Matt PmRd said:

colored light oooooooooo Id cant code that!...

u must be kidding!
What do you mean can't code that?
Even Jdoom has it!

Guest Matt PmRd

damn right i was