Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Epistax

Ignore

Guest Epistax

I know this has nothing to do with doom 3, but isn't doom 3 cool?

Well, duh!

Still, we haven´t seen any footage of the gameplay, but it´s hard to NOT imagina a kickass game after that video.

Guest Epistax

Waay too dark though

I hope they don't get soo strung up in the lighting that they make everyplace without an obvious light completely dark.

Well, im expecting to see light sources where there´s actually light. I would like to break them too, just for the sake of realism.

It wasn´t really that dark. First than all, the projector wasn´t calibrated, and second, it was a projector.

Monitors emit direct light, while the projectors just make it bounce from an uniform white surface. A monitor and the lights off will make this game as bright as AvP.

Actually, nobody knows if it is cool because it hasn't been released yet...but seriously its gonna be the next big thing to hit the world of PC games (which by the way seems to be dying).

Guest Epistax
Zaldron said:

Well, im expecting to see light sources where there´s actually light. I would like to break them too, just for the sake of realism.

It wasn´t really that dark. First than all, the projector wasn´t calibrated, and second, it was a projector.

Monitors emit direct light, while the projectors just make it bounce from an uniform white surface. A monitor and the lights off will make this game as bright as AvP.

So how long until the light sources will actually shoot little photons so the game detects exactly what wall will look like what, and from where?

As far as how complex 3d engines are.. it wouldn't be too much to predict light projections
--

on top of that, how long until the entire world will be rendered in real time, like constant building of a bryce project?
i know when we all have 1.2 gb graphics cards and 1 THZ processors...

danarchist said:

Actually, nobody knows if it is cool because it hasn't been released yet...but seriously its gonna be the next big thing to hit the world of PC games (which by the way seems to be dying).

Give me a reason.
That´s the most ridiculous myth I´ve ever heard...

Guest Epistax

He does have a point but he doesn't realize it so it doesn't matter.

Quake 2 => Quake 3. Is it a better game now? PFFT!
What else do we have? 50,000 sports games that have just gone down hill since blades of steel for nintendo.
Then a lot of FPS seem designed for people to get practice actually killing people. Let's keep the shooting to monsters! (ok maybe not)

also I can't think of a single new game type to come out at all recently. simulation, fps, mass multi would be the most recent, but still kinda old. No major leaps have been made in any type either. you can do it warcraft III! come on! :P

Guest Epistax

Check it out, I have a SIG!

I tried not to make it offensive.. that means it has no naught words.
Well some people may get itchy over spake.

Epistax said:

blades of steel for nintendo

Wow, you just brought back a part of my life I'd totally forgotten... seriously :| Weird.

I loved that game. Except when it pissed me off. I remember I wrote a letter to the company about the way the screen always followed the puck instead of the guy I was controlling, and it was my very first nasty letter too. I showed it to a bunch of friends before I mailed it too. I was so proud :P I was 8 or 9 too.

Uh, anyways... back to Re_Animat...

Epistax said:

So how long until the light sources will actually shoot little photons so the game detects exactly what wall will look like what, and from where?

As far as how complex 3d engines are.. it wouldn't be too much to predict light projections
--

on top of that, how long until the entire world will be rendered in real time, like constant building of a bryce project?

Real time AND as complex as reality...

Mmmh, there are 2 solutions. Or we develop a monitor type thing with the resolution of our eyes, and make 15,000 THZ machines, then we *could* calculate real world physics (including quantum stuff and such).

The other solution would be try to implement it on a quantum supercomputer. Altough few advances were done for now, at least matter teleportation presents us a viable choice. Quantum supercomputers would work million of times faster than our machines, based on a 32 bit numeric system (instead of the 2-bit binary numeric system).

Umm, Doom3 isn't out yet.....

but.....

yes, it's.... uhhh..... cool, yes. It's cool.

(psycho)

Guest Epistax
Zaldron said:

Mmmh, there are 2 solutions. Or we develop a monitor type thing with the resolution of our eyes, and make 15,000 THZ machines, then we *could* calculate real world physics (including quantum stuff and such).

The other solution would be try to implement it on a quantum supercomputer. Altough few advances were done for now, at least matter teleportation presents us a viable choice. Quantum supercomputers would work million of times faster than our machines, based on a 32 bit numeric system (instead of the 2-bit binary numeric system).

i wondered why we don't use a trinary system

sure 3, 9, 27, 81 isn't as cool as 2, 4, 8, 16, 32...

but think about it. binary: low power, high power
trinary: low power, high power, reverse power
and from there the jump to quaternary is pretty simple ( i assume we can guess what it would look like )

Would anyone care to tell me why a boolean takes two bytes? Can anyone answer that? Sure we can store a number 0 to 255 in one byte but the simple question of yes (1) vs no (0) takes TWO bytes. muhahah ok

Guest CRiZ
Epistax said:

--

Yeah, I'm itchin for the Matrix to be made too.
I want a full virtual reality experience damnit.

I'm a mechanical engineer so maybe me and some electrical engineers could research hardware connection to the optic nerve for starters. That way we could atleast play DOom seeing the world actually from the players eyes. The sound would still be from the speakers and we would feel like we were sitting in a chair and we would still ahve to use mouse/keyboard BUT, it would be so god damn scary and immersive.

Even if all of this stuff doesn't come about(got a little carried away there), I think even 5 gigahert computers and 64 or 128 megabyte graphics cards will be able to render "real-enough" graphics so that they could pass for reality if seen at television resolution. That's pretty close before we have that kind of power. I just read yesterday about work at the Sandia National Labs on their extreme ultraviolet lithography techniques that are going to be making our next bad-ass chips.
Keep it up, Moore!!

Guest CRiZ
Zaldron said:

The hell with quantum effects... we don't need absolute realism. Just VISUAL REALISM. I doubt in any futuristic game you would have to buy parts and assemble a cyclotron that would actually split matter behaving the true laws of physics and quantum mechanics.

Guest Epistax
CRiZ said:

I'll be a computer engineer in study in a bit; that's damn close to electrical. We will set the gaming world up the bomb.

Epistax said:

i wondered why we don't use a trinary system

sure 3, 9, 27, 81 isn't as cool as 2, 4, 8, 16, 32...

but think about it. binary: low power, high power
trinary: low power, high power, reverse power
and from there the jump to quaternary is pretty simple ( i assume we can guess what it would look like )

Would anyone care to tell me why a boolean takes two bytes? Can anyone answer that? Sure we can store a number 0 to 255 in one byte but the simple question of yes (1) vs no (0) takes TWO bytes. muhahah ok

well, 1s and 0s are just the software interpretation of "on" and "off", or "we get signal" and "we get no signal".

that being the case, you cant really have "sort of on", it's kind of like "sort of pregnant".
if that does happen in a computer, it's usually called a "brown-out" =)

Guest Epistax

No but close. 0 is not quite off. hehe it is just "low power", 0, vs "high power", 1. The electricity is always flowing or a zero bit would be sorta snag.
But it is read as if it can detect the power, and in lower power it can't (0).
ok hehe