Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Epistax

Doom 3 Sounds

Guest Epistax

We see it in a lot of games now and I hope they do it- sounds by mp3 format. Or at least an easy way to export the sounds. I mean we all know that our ICQ message sound is going to go from "uh oh!" to the new arach. death sound (which does not support MP3's but shut up), so let's make it easier.

I really really hope they made doom 3 the same as doom 2 and no where like quake.
We need complete editability in sound, graphics, and what is considered EXE constants (speeds, damages, etc).

It's so much better when game developers stick to the KISS principle: Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Those kind of extraction programs like WinTex and others should be readily available.

I have software that compresses WAV files down 96% but keeping it 96KB/s.....you can compress it more than MP3s....they could use that...

God no, people will have like 100Gig drives on average by then, why the hell would they make the sounds MP3s? If they do, it had better be at least 256k/48KHz MP3s or else I'm gonna be pissed.

Guest Epistax

160 kb/s per channel is as crisp as most ears can tell. Why they go beyond that can only be answered by the people who know why we go beyond 24 bit, it's the same idea.

And it's not like waves would be any better. It's the exact same quality just stored in a different way. Zipping a file doesn't distort it :)

(also what do you care for the frequency of the mp3? I don't really know much about that- doesn't seem to change pitch so enlighten me)

Contrary to peoples belief, sounds in games don´t take too much RAM. Thanks to streaming, something that is highly efficient when doing it from your HD, there´s no need to go for wacky solutions.

Sounds in game *MUST* be mono. 16 bits and 22 KHZ is today standards, and they sound really good. The reason why the sounds must be recorded in mono is simple : When you make software R/L panning, EAX positioning or A3D positioning, you need the sources in the rawest way possible. The balance between bass/treble, left/right, front/back, up/down and volume is performed by the engine in real time. Add reverb, echoes, flangers, freq. modulation, tone modulation, and many other effects... why would you want to process these things in stereo when it´s slower and useless?

The only reason why someone would mp3-ize WAVs is to reduce install sizes... wich doesn´t make sense in most cases since id PAKs already compress data.

I have to agree with Zaldron that sounds aren't a real memory killer.

Besides, the added processing time to decompress every sound on demand (more than 1 at a time in most cases) would outweigh whatever decrease in HD or ram usage.

Not only that, but sometimes it's nice to turn the music volume to OFF and play your own mp3. This 'might' cause some conflicts, depending on sound hardware, mp3 player, Etc., but Icould be wrong.

basically, compressed sounds aren't totally out of the question, but brobably not mp3.

Right. Just decompressing in memory the mp3 to allow EAX/A3D to perform enviromental audio (it doesn´t support anything beyond standard uncompressed or "PCM" Wav files) would ruin any attempt to save memory, and actually hits hard the CPU...

Guest Epistax
Zaldron said:

Contrary to peoples belief, sounds in games don´t take too much RAM. Thanks to streaming, something that is highly efficient when doing it from your HD, there´s no need to go for wacky solutions.

Sounds in game *MUST* be mono. 16 bits and 22 KHZ is today standards, and they sound really good. The reason why the sounds must be recorded in mono is simple : When you make software R/L panning, EAX positioning or A3D positioning, you need the sources in the rawest way possible. The balance between bass/treble, left/right, front/back, up/down and volume is performed by the engine in real time. Add reverb, echoes, flangers, freq. modulation, tone modulation, and many other effects... why would you want to process these things in stereo when it´s slower and useless?

The only reason why someone would mp3-ize WAVs is to reduce install sizes... wich doesn´t make sense in most cases since id PAKs already compress data.

Oh it's not a memory issue. I say mp3s because it's so damn easy to do stuff with them.

Guest Epistax
Psyonisis said:

It's so much better when game developers stick to the KISS principle: Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Those kind of extraction programs like WinTex and others should be readily available.

I have never found any editing equipment for quake 1, 2, or 3 (or ANY other game for that matter) that is nearly as good as for the doom games.
I'm afraid that if they code doom 3 in the same manner as the quake series, the key thing that makes doom, doom, editing, will be reduced significantly.

They should have all the music in MIDI format...

But seriously, I like the way Quake2 and AvP do the music where it's on a disk, but you don't need the disk...so you can use other CDs.

Davidoom said:

I have software that compresses WAV files down 96% but keeping it 96KB/s.....you can compress it more than MP3s....they could use that...

crap http://www.zaldron.f2s.com crap