Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Doom3 level making

By the gods, Doom3 level making better come with the D3 CD! I hate having to download some stupid shareware stuff that turns to suck anyways! Oh yeah, and it better be easy to use and learn how to use, too!

Shareware stuff? Game developers releases their SDKs to the public since years...

Carmack wanted to include all the stuff in the CD, and link it to the renderer, so you can preview models, levels and stuff just as good as entering the game.

Did Carmack mention anything about that editor? Cause I allways have major difficulties creating levels with editors nowadays. I remember the only easy level-editing program, the one for Duke Nukem 3D... That was easy, fast & fun. Is it possible for DooM3's editor to be like that too? Or do I have to go to some stupid computer-nerd-school to learn all the tricks?

I think Zaldron can answer this......

I hope they have a good FAQ/tutorial for it. The only editor I've ever figured out was Build because of the excellent FAQ they have on it.

Zaldron said:

Shareware stuff? Game developers releases their SDKs to the public since years...

Carmack wanted to include all the stuff in the CD, and link it to the renderer, so you can preview models, levels and stuff just as good as entering the game.

i thought carmakc said the editor would be in engine? or was that just what everyone wanted and i interpreted it wrong?

By the Gods indeed. Tell me, where does your faith lie?
No fear, the level editor will be included. Instructions should be included, but, if all else fails, I'll figure it out and write something up.

Disorder said:

Did Carmack mention anything about that editor? Cause I allways have major difficulties creating levels with editors nowadays. I remember the only easy level-editing program, the one for Duke Nukem 3D... That was easy, fast & fun. Is it possible for DooM3's editor to be like that too? Or do I have to go to some stupid computer-nerd-school to learn all the tricks?

I think Zaldron can answer this......

It is possible to make an editor with run&look mode included, it´s almost a no-brainer thanks to the implementation of the engine to the preview renderings.

Altough it was useful on BUILD, I really doubt it will be good for a true 3D game. Things like texture mapping are performed on more complex menues. Sector floor/ceilling heights has no sense now. Decal placing is replaced by shaders, etc.

The only thing that could work is a item placer. It´s good, altough I still prefer doing it on a top view.

The mode could be used to try the level, but, taking in mind that now there´s no compiling stage, it would be almost the same as the plain old "run map" tools.