Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
the-widow-maker

Gatling laser cannons, advanced auto mapping.

Also usable base defenses and anti daemon weapons.

I reckon, in the same way doom 64 had the weapon-wtf is this??!, doom3 should have some kind of a gatling laser device. And for heavens sake!!! make all energy weapons over heat, so that you cannot continuosly fire, but have infinate ammunition, since the futuristic plasma cells have huge ammounts of power.

The auto map ( which I dont think has been addressed yet), should, with the help of d3's graphics, be fullt 3d, with nice touchest like threat area's and likely ammunition depotes etc around the screen when in automap mode.

It would be pretty cool also, having just been alerted of a central perimeter breech, to quickly tap into the bases central computer, and re-establish the weapon grid there,until the daeoms take out the central reactor, then watch on the tv monitor as two heavy auto-lasers spring from the ceiling of a corridor, and rain down white hot laser fire on the hell spawn.

Lastly, a weapon ( like that one in the ghostbuster movie) could be made to take out the lesser demons, and either put them in storage, kill them, or convert them upon release to fight for your side.

1. Infinite ammo? It would upset play balance if you ask me.
2. A 3D automap would be cool, and it would be nice if you could put 'markers' on the map to remind yourself of certain areas (making it less likely for you to get lost). It should not tell enemy locations in any way though; the hope is that enemies will move around on their own, making them less predictable.
3. Hacking into the central computer is a great idea. You could possibly cause a lock down of cetain areas and cause the demons to suffocate because of no ventilation.
4. I really don't like this weapon idea. A tazer would be a nice last ditch weapon, but no capturing enemies to have them fight for you. This is Doom, not Pokemon. (Cybie, I choose you!)

Plasma weapons that don't use ammo but instead overheat? Interesting... so then, when underwater you could fire your lasergun all day long?

Right now we have Global Positioning Systems, and this has been discussed before. A GPS can give you your lattitude, longitude, altitude, time, and can also display mapping functions that you can scroll through or get from a satellite. That's today.

I'm not sure I like the enemy trapper idea, but if done right it could be cool. I'm still leaning more towards blowing their heads off... weapon trapper & converter or not, I just don't put my trust into a demon from hell.

EllipsusD said:

2. A 3D automap would be cool, and it would be nice if you could put 'markers' on the map to remind yourself of certain areas (making it less likely for you to get lost). It should not tell enemy locations in any way though; the hope is that enemies will move around on their own, making them less predictable.
3. Hacking into the central computer is a great idea. You could possibly cause a lock down of cetain areas and cause the demons to suffocate because of no ventilation.
4. I really don't like this weapon idea. A tazer would be a nice last ditch weapon, but no capturing enemies to have them fight for you. This is Doom, not Pokemon. (Cybie, I choose you!)

well no it wouldnt. if ther was this little gatling gun that did minimal damage or just a basick weapon thatcould be upgrated.kinda like kurt's suit in mdk. that gun on his harm is the coolest gun in any game ever! besides the super chain gun and the chaingun max has. the sound and fire rate on them is perfect!!

Lasers are bad choices for weapons. If you want to actually kill stuff with a laser before they do to you, you need this big assed thing, that overheats easily, eats a lot of energy and makes a very small zone of damage. You could slice small enemies with something like this, and burn those that are in the medium range of sizes, but it would be almost a joke if you´re trying to take down a Cyberdaemon.

I prefer weapons based on plasma, fision/fusion, electromagnetic propulsors (Gauss rifles) and of course... lead.

Weapons overheating is good for full-auto weapons only (besides bfg).

Infinite ammunition is a bad idea for energy weapons because then we can decrese the damage to just about nothing. Plasma weapons use a gargantuan amount of power. If you plugged a plasma rifle into your wall outlet it would probably take almost ten minutes just to replace one energy "cell", of which you can carry 300, and it would probably make the lights go dim too.

I am for a sort-of basic automap, but I don't think you should be able to start mapping your way right off the bat. I think the only way you should be able to see the map is if you find a map-chip somewhere in the base that has a detailed map of the installation - and possibly other levels as well (but not in any demonic realms, because the level structure has changed from what it used to be).

I am *heavily* against any type of specialized anti-demon weapon. This primarily because the demons are effected by mundane means already, and even IF there was some baddie you couldn't shoot with a machinegun, Im pretty sure an energy weapon like the plasma rifle or bfg would turn his day upside down.

Besides, the UAC wouldn't want to capture any of them because they could get loose and convert even more of the troopers, or could even convert troopers when they are still held. It is all-out war, the demons have killed most of earth's population, why would we want to simply capture any of them when we can just blow them into a million pieces!

deadnail said:

Plasma weapons that don't use ammo but instead overheat? Interesting... so then, when underwater you could fire your lasergun all day long?

Right now we have Global Positioning Systems, and this has been discussed before. A GPS can give you your lattitude, longitude, altitude, time, and can also display mapping functions that you can scroll through or get from a satellite. That's today.

I'm not sure I like the enemy trapper idea, but if done right it could be cool. I'm still leaning more towards blowing their heads off... weapon trapper & converter or not, I just don't put my trust into a demon from hell.

Who's to say they would have GPS on mars or it's two moons? And positioning within a ship definatly wouldn't work if the computer was offline.

And actually, it would only be able to showm your location, but not exactly what the rest of the level looks like. I dont think the map computer would be able to map out your surroundings with you running like mad all over the place and getting shot at so often (might even short the damn thing out).

As I said, I am against any type of anti-demon weapon like the laser in d64. It's just so corny its not even funny, esp. when you can pull out a pistol and eventually kill a demon with it.

All energy weapons should explode violently if you fire them underwater (but i believe they are waterproof though).THis brings up another issue, even if there was a laser gun (which I am against all laser tech.), if it hits any type of fog or smoke it should immediatly flash the screen over and temporarily blind you. And if you shoot underwater (providing it doens't blow up), the beam would curve so bad it might even come back and fry your ass.

It´s easy to recreate the GPS system on mars, altough we should change the "G" on the name :)

No, really. It´s just a net of satellites floating around Mars orbit. If the outposts are located on the moons, it could be a little harder. Anyway, the GPS wouldn´t be able to map the surface, you´re right in that one. The system should combine your coords with a pre-stored map disc. All the bases, outposts and labs are fully explained here, altough places like Hell and it´s surrounding have just appeared, and no one took the time to map this places...

Laser weapons are cheesy, so as "demon weapons", but I really doubt iD will put weapons like that.

i think the descent automap whould be too conmplicated for the advanced maps. maby a true 3d over head map whould work better.

EllipsusD said:

it would be cool if they gave you a spraypaint can and let you control it like a gun to write on walls. like oyu can shoot at walls in half-life to make markers, thats what i did. oh and i cant wait until enemies actually have lives, so like they could be anywhere at all. just doing something, walking around. taking a leak, anything. so it would make players guides and shit useless. i wish they could take advantage of the suroundings, instead of likie. your shooting at them from a hole in the wall,. they know youre there but instead of shooting towards the hole, they shott at the wall. thats what usually happens.