Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Clone999

Weapons

Guest Clone999

Wev'e descussed weapons a million times, so I was just going to ask one quick question. How MANY should there be? I probably shouldn't waste an entire post on this little thought, but oh, well. At least I don't talk about some strange creature called a "Cyber-Demo". See previous topic.

8-12 weapons, depending on secondary fire modes and/or combinations (submachinegun with grenade launcher, for example).

1 melee weapon

1 start weapon (pistol)

2 shotgun-type weapons

1 grenadelauncher-type weapon

1 rocketlauncher-type weapon

1-2 high rate of fire bullet weapons (including minigun)

2-3 energy weapons (including plasma rifle)

1 high accuracy weapon (railgun-type)

1 pyro weapon

1 super weapon (BFG-type)

1: Fist/Chainsaw
2: Pistol
3: Shotgun/Supershotgun
4: Minigun (33/66 SPS)
5: Rocket-launcher/Grenade-launcher
6: Plasma gun
7: BFG

You should only be able to carry 3 weapons at once. A primary one (shotgun, machine gun), a secondary one (pistol) and a knife (like Counter-Strike). And when you need a newer and more powerful weapon, you will have to get rid of one of your older weapons. Like in Severance : Blade of Darkness.

Guest Employee 2-4601
Lord FlatHead said:

Seven or eight will do, as long as they're really effective and/or have secondary modes of fire.

I think that there should be 8-12 guns. Not to few and not to many.I like it when I'm a one man army in a game.

Feronth said:

You should only be able to carry 3 weapons at once. A primary one (shotgun, machine gun), a secondary one (pistol) and a knife (like Counter-Strike). And when you need a newer and more powerful weapon, you will have to get rid of one of your older weapons. Like in Severance : Blade of Darkness.

I hope this post is a joke. Counterstrike is so udderly boring because of their realism focus. Take a look at Serious Sam, that's how Doom3's armanent should be.

Yeah sure. But I like the fact of 3 weapons-Counter-Strike-like armament. Even if Counter-Strike didn't exist, I would have opted for this 3 weapons only option anyways.

Feronth said:

And when you need a newer and more powerful weapon, you will have to get rid of one of your older weapons.

That is exactly what I do NOT want in a good shooter game: an unbalanced armory with some weak and some powerful weapons. That´s too simplistic and boring. It´s much more challenging to have a well balanced armory with different weapons, each useful in it´s own, special way.

If id include the many weapons option, I'm not against. It's just that I have a preference for the fact that you have very few weapons and you must make it through the game only with them. It's more challenging.

Good question. As much as I like realism, (i.e. not being able to carry more than three or four weapons at once), it is DOOM after all, and I better have a junkload of guns at my disposal.

I think there's a way to solve this, when beginning a new game, you could choose different options on realism:

--Max number of weapons

--Unlimited or limited stamina

--Physical ability (jumping etc.)

--How wounds affect you with aiming and mobility (after all its not likely you still run around with 15% health and rail somebody through the skull. Deus Ex dealt with the mobility issue fairly well)

Anybody agree w/ me?

Feronth said:

Yeah.

Realism stands in the way for fun. I don't care if he can carry 24 weapons at one time, as long as it's fun. Caus' that's what a "GAME" is all about, isn't it?

Sure, but read my reply to Tetzlaff too =). It's clear I want to have fun to, but I believe you can have fun with a bit of realism.

Guest kickmeplz

knife (throwable once you get chainsaw)
chainsaw (modes: swing, grind)
pistol (get another and get dual pistol)
assault rifle (upgradable to machine gun)
shotgun (use varying shells, such as HE, magnum, or 00)
double barreled shotgun (ditto)
minigun (modes: 10/sec, 60/sec)
rocket launcher
flamethrower (modes: fire blast, stream)
plasma gun (modes: laser, rapid orb)
BFG (modes: lightning burst, big orb)

Amanichen said:

Good question. As much as I like realism, (i.e. not being able to carry more than three or four weapons at once), it is DOOM after all, and I better have a junkload of guns at my disposal.

I think there's a way to solve this, when beginning a new game, you could choose different options on realism:

--Max number of weapons

--Unlimited or limited stamina

--Physical ability (jumping etc.)

--How wounds affect you with aiming and mobility (after all its not likely you still run around with 15% health and rail somebody through the skull. Deus Ex dealt with the mobility issue fairly well)

Anybody agree w/ me?

I do.

Guest Cop999

there seems no definite quantity of weapons for now, i guess, it's unpredictable

Feronth said:

Sure, but read my reply to Tetzlaff too =). It's clear I want to have fun to, but I believe you can have fun with a bit of realism.

Doom is not a realistic game. Forcing only 3 weapons at a time is ludicrous. ROTT was like this, and it sucked because of it. However it does work in games like Counter-Strike, but they are realistic, and not made for the action, of Doom.

Certain games demand realism, however Doom defintely is not one of them. Personally I'd like around 24 weapons, with alt-fire modes, different ammo types, and lots of other stuff to give the game some nice depth.