Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kain

ok

ok so what if doom 3 does come out? What if you have 20 different keys for 20 different things? like in halflife. if i have to brake my arms in order to play this game, i dont know what i will do. They should have great support for a game controler or just make it so that 5 buttons will do a shitload of stuff.
o and btw the spud gun works and now i am building a minibike( gzus dont flame me ).

Heh,dammit it better come out to play.

You'll brake your arms in order to play it,I'll go shoot up some community place.

-hint if you dont choose to do that than go to your next city meeting and sit in the back and when everyones in a deep conversation stand up and scream "what about the demon invaders!What about the demon invaders!Oh god the terror!'

All though what I said was pointless,never the less.
Keys,no keys dont matter to me and for the controls,they should be like half lifes controls or something like that.

I don't have any trouble playing Half-Life.

I use the arrow keys for forward, backward and strafing. Control is duck and Keypad_0 is jump. I set the spacebar to reload so I never have to hunt down the key. Mouse 1 and 2 control firing, the wheel is weapon selection and when the wheel is clicked that counts as 'use'.

I can see how WASD can be a pain for that game... it is for any game that features manual reloading.

What´s the problem with Half-Life? SoF has much more buttons and with a WASD config you can play without problems.

I HOPE id puts a nice amount of buttons in that game, from the old "use" button to things like alt-fire and special weapon functions (think of SoF sniper rifle´s zoom in/out).

As long as there are no actions with the same hierarchical order, we´ll be fine. For example, if I had to press "crouch" and "jump" with the same finger, I´ll go crazy. I need on finger over every IMPORTANT button.

If they want to make me map the whole keyboard with secondary functions, I have no problem then.

deadnail said:

I don't have any trouble playing Half-Life.

I use the arrow keys for forward, backward and strafing. Control is duck and Keypad_0 is jump. I set the spacebar to reload so I never have to hunt down the key. Mouse 1 and 2 control firing, the wheel is weapon selection and when the wheel is clicked that counts as 'use'.

I can see how WASD can be a pain for that game... it is for any game that features manual reloading.

Your index can easily jump to the "R" in WASD. It´s just a 1/10th of a second...

I never really got that trick down. Most people use either WASD or the arrow keys, although around here I hear some bizzare shit every now and then involving tab or m... yikes.

There are some freaks that use *GASP* OKLÑ (i have no idea how would it look like there in US, spanish keyboards have the "Ñ").
On second tought, it may look like "OKL;"...

I heard of some freaks that use the keys above the arrows, you know... Ins, Start, previous Page, Del, End, next page. AND ONLY THOSE, NOT THE NUMPAD.

Now, the one that is pretty common is the "left-click = forward". If someone of you freaks... err, I mean gamers are reading this, could you please explaing me how do you play a game like HL or SoF?

If they have as many actions as Mechwarrior 2 somebody from id is gonna be found dead in some nasty place.

Zaldron said:

There are some freaks that use *GASP* OKLÑ (i have no idea how would it look like there in US, spanish keyboards have the "Ñ").
On second tought, it may look like "OKL;"...

I heard of some freaks that use the keys above the arrows, you know... Ins, Start, previous Page, Del, End, next page. AND ONLY THOSE, NOT THE NUMPAD.

Now, the one that is pretty common is the "left-click = forward". If someone of you freaks... err, I mean gamers are reading this, could you please explaing me how do you play a game like HL or SoF?

OKLN for the controls! It does sound weird at first, but it might work, you need a flexible little finger though.

On my keyboard OKLN looks like this
-----------------------------O----
----------------------------KL----
--------------------------N-------

Half Life is a very good game, there is nothing wrong with the controls. IMO.

My Controls for Half Life.

W = Forward
S = Backward
A = Left Strafe
D = Right Strafe
E = Use
R = Reload
Mouse1 = Fire
Mouse2 = Secondary Fire
C = Crouch
Space = Jump
Shift = Run (I use Autorun though)
F = Torch
T = Decal
y = Chat
Mouse = Look

Fairly straight foward I think, but they're my choices.

i use ESDF (same as WASD, only one step rightwards). In HL, i have reload on R, and use on W. That way, i can easily slip a finger from one of the strafe buttons to reload or use stuff. works great, altho you can't strafe right and reload at the same time.

using ESDF istead of WASD also gives you Q,A and Z to use for other things.. handy in quake where you want to change to any weapon at any time without moving your hand away from the movement keys.

Guest 3dioot
nightmare imp said:

Heh,dammit it better come out to play.

You'll brake your arms in order to play it,I'll go shoot up some community place.

-hint if you dont choose to do that than go to your next city meeting and sit in the back and when everyones in a deep conversation stand up and scream "what about the demon invaders!What about the demon invaders!Oh god the terror!'

All though what I said was pointless,never the less.
Keys,no keys dont matter to me and for the controls,they should be like half lifes controls or something like that.

I agree with zaldron. Although i dont think a sniper gun would fit the doom universe very well. ;] (thats just a small niggle though). I want to share something with you guys. When i played doom i played it with the keyboard. I had no internet connection whatsoever and i was perfectly happy with the way i played (i thought i was pretty good aswell; massacring the armies of doom). Then quake came. Aaaaargh! What happened?! Suddenly it was unplayable! I couldnt hit shit with the keyboard! Stupid #$%% quake! We all know what happened next; i learned to play with the mouse and wasd. It is a great setup. The freedom to explore a 3dworld hasnt been rivaled in any other way of control (not even stupid stuff like fragmaster joystick alikes). Not only that but its so intuitive that you can even have many secondary functions around the movement keys that you (with a little bit of practice; just like learning to use a mouse) can learn to use without even so much at glancing at the keyboard. I hope doom3 gets a reload button. It will create some fucking tense moments if they do. And the use button. Nomatter how silly it sounds but even in doom (wich i started to replay with the toc jdoom) it gives a boost to the immersiveness. Maybe because its quite simply another way to interact with the world around you. And again when you look at gameplay. The fact that you when you are hunted by a big demon need to turn around to face the door and open it by hand (by slamming the spacebar and wrecking your keyboard) is quite an experience. No; im not afraid at all that there will be too many functions to control. I bet you guys never played q2 clanwars? =] My hole keyboard was riddled with shortcuts and buttons. Every main form of ammo could be dropped. Every weapon could be dropped. Items could be dropped (powershields and stuff)! (i used many double functions that i scripted through aliases; like shift+r was different from r alone).. Not only that but i also had several macros that depended on the map. Like "enemy taking cellar route!". And to top it all off i also had several to tell my state: "need ammo", "need health", "need weapon", "need help".. And offcourse macros to tell when a certain item was availabe (this depended on the spot you were assigned to).. Like "RL available on square!" etc.. etc.. =]

its a shame i cant see all the replies while i type this. But one of you has a nice quote of a korn song ;]

GrtZ 3dioot

PS
The different setup zaldron refers to is probably a "rotated setup". Several high performance quakers play with their keyboard rotated 45 degrees. This gives a more compact form of keys and the surrounding keys are also easier to get to. Like y-u-g-h for forward, right, backwards and left movement respectivly. Not my favorite setup but i can see its advantages. =]

LorD BaZTArD said:

OKLN for the controls! It does sound weird at first, but it might work, you need a flexible little finger though.

On my keyboard OKLN looks like this
-----------------------------O----
----------------------------KL----
--------------------------N-------

Half Life is a very good game, there is nothing wrong with the controls. IMO.

My Controls for Half Life.

W = Forward
S = Backward
A = Left Strafe
D = Right Strafe
E = Use
R = Reload
Mouse1 = Fire
Mouse2 = Secondary Fire
C = Crouch
Space = Jump
Shift = Run (I use Autorun though)
F = Torch
T = Decal
y = Chat
Mouse = Look

Fairly straight foward I think, but they're my choices.

I use those keys as my default config for each Doom/Quake-like :
Right mouse button = forward
Left mouse button = fire
Side mouse button 1 = alt-fire (alternate key = w)
Side mouse button 2 = reload (alternate key = g)

I use the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer, and there are 2 useful buttons on the side.

Mouse wheel up = next weapon
Mouse wheel down = previous weapon
A = jump
S = walk (auto/always run is on)
D = flashlight
F = use
E = strafe left
R = strafe right
T = crouch
Space bar = backwards
Delete = throw weapon
KP_+ = next item
KP_- = previous item
KP_Enter = use item
KP_* = throw item

Once you get used to this config, you may find it very comfortable.

Zaldron said:

What´s the problem with Half-Life? SoF has much more buttons and with a WASD config you can play without problems.

I HOPE id puts a nice amount of buttons in that game, from the old "use" button to things like alt-fire and special weapon functions (think of SoF sniper rifle´s zoom in/out).

As long as there are no actions with the same hierarchical order, we´ll be fine. For example, if I had to press "crouch" and "jump" with the same finger, I´ll go crazy. I need on finger over every IMPORTANT button.

If they want to make me map the whole keyboard with secondary functions, I have no problem then.

Does it force you to play a certain config?
Because I am against the WASD config - I have one that works better for me.

I hope they have lots of buttons too, I just hope I dont ahve to use them all. The only buttons I want to have to use are diectional keys, "fire" and "use" mouse buttons, and the jump/crouch key (plus the inventory keys, rarely).

If a game is ahrd to learn how to play based soley on the controls, then I dont want ot waste my time trying to play it. It's just like that "Infantry Online" game they have, it's so freaking hard to learn the controls I quit the game and deleted it from my HD.

But, as far as items, wepaons, and armor goes, I wouldn't mind about a million types of each so long as I can decide when a certain type is obsolete so it doesnt bother me any more (sorta like picking up a SMG and deciding the pistol is useless... or picking up a chaingun and deciding that the assault rifle is useless).