Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Seven

Doom 3 should be HL mark 2.

I was reading other posts on this forum and something came to mind.

The old doom had say 20 monsters in a room. You walked in and they were just standing there waiting for you to arrive. Now with Doom 3 enemies should make an entrance. For example, if you want a room full of bad guys for u to have a go at, then make sure there is a reason for them being in that room. When you walk in have a platoon of soliders ingaged in a fire fight with hords of demons. Have a little scriped sequence that you watch (ala HL) were the soilders slowly get slaughtered as the demons progress. Then after all the marines in the platoon have been slaughtered its your turn. That gives a reason for them to be there.

As many people have said, Doom 3 should take HL to a new level. Or take inspiration from STV:EF. Were you can interact with the sequences. In this example you might be able to save some of the marines from death, and in turn they could help you in the coming battle, or later in the game.

Other intereactions could be that there are other ways to kill the enemies apart from your trusty weapons. In my example there could be a large acid tank over the top of the demons as they are attacking the platoon of marines. Firing at the tank would crack it and send hundred of gallons of acid down on the demons killing them and saving all of the marines.

If you save them all they could call in APC assistance, you along with them could pile in and drive off through to the next seciton of the game. If you didnt save them all you would have to kill the demons..and progress alone, or if you save only afew you would have maybe 2 marines helping you but not the protection of the APC or 20 + soilders.

Doom 3 should include lots of these kind of sequences. They not only can forward the story but immerse you in a game like nothing else can.

Imagine it (one possible out come), you walk into a large room and at one end you see hords of demons slowly walking across the room firing whatever demonish weapons they have :). On the other side you have a platoon of Soilders taking cover behind a fallen wall. All hells breaking loose. You can see the platoon of marines are loosing the battle as more and more demons pile into the room at the far end. The marines see you and yell 'TAKE COVER!!!!!!'.You can hardly hear them because the room is awash with gun fire. You hide behind a crate, looking up you see a acid tank. You put 2 and 2 together and fire your weapon.

The explosion breaks open the tank and unleashs hundreds of gallons of acid down on the demons decintigrating (sp) them.

You walk over to the platoon steping over dead bodies on your way. The platoon leader thx you and calls for APC backup. Moments later a APC comes crashsing through the wall behind you. You and your new team mates all jump in and the APC drives off, past the victorous battle ground and off to the next section of the game.

WOW...I want to be in that situation. I would lov it if iD could incorportate many of such scenes.

Just picture it....

Thats a kick ass idea and should be used in DOOM3 to give a more realistic feeling.But than again DOOM3 was dumped,but others say it's a joke.I thinks it's a joke that id dumped it,but there hope.Maybe it's just the name thats being dumped.

nightmare imp said:

But than again DOOM3 was dumped,but others say it's a joke.

C'mon, you gotta be kidding me.
Of course it's a joke !! Do you believe this crap?
You're not even a newbie.

/Me pukes...........

You could have some truely amazing sequences...

How about you have just imerged from a building into a large U shapped valley. Then all of a sudden from over the horizon hordes of demons come running or flying down the side of the valley heading for your position.

Then you look up and see 2 Terrain drop ships landing near to your position. They open and 2 squadrons of marines pour out and start engaging the demons as they get closer to your position. Some marines set up machine gun turrets, etc

Think StarShip Troopers...

The enemy becomes to much and you and the squadrons have to retreat back inside were the demon hord can be broken up in the small corridors.

You all get through the entrance to the building just in time before the hord surrounds you, and a marine starts to weld the door shut. Then scilence. You and the marines prepare for the coming battle and all you can do is wait.

Cool or what...

But...Doom should have a mix of large scale battles and solitary stuff...a lone solider against the world. I cant be bothered to post my ideas about solitary seqences...i'll post later.

Disorder said:

C'mon, you gotta be kidding me.
Of course it's a joke !! Do you believe this crap?
You're not even a newbie.

/Me pukes...........

well your right about that, yah know but sometimes my body is at the computer,but my mind isent.I dont know,must be all this stress Ive been having lately.Yah know,yah actually made me feel better a bit by knowing that it was merely a joke,at least DOOM 3 will come out,hopefully.

Seven said:

Yeah, a mix would be cool. Fighting on your own is cool 2, but to see some of your side, it gives a nice strong feeling. But it cant be messed by missions like : " protect someone , else start over again". But more like this " survive, it doesnt matter how".

Guest Aradiel

That's a pretty wicked idea. Yeah. It would be great if there were user-controlled vehicles too. Imagine this scenario: You're the sole survivor of your platoon (as usual), and you're orders are to rendevous with a nearby platoon in the field to join them.
You round the dull grey corridor and emerge into a tiny room, and find a grisly scene. The platoon you were to rendevous with is in shambles, with only a dozen or so survivors. The battle has degenerated into close-quarters fighting, since it's too cramped to aim accurately. A demon struggles with one of the marines, and grabs his combat knife and shoves it into the side of his throat. You whip out your own combat knife and assault the demon, ripping it's face off.

You run with the survivors down the corridor to a helipad, with a small shuttle. You board the shuttle, and a wounded marine, too hurt to carry on, insists that he stays back and covers the escape. The wounded marine lies on the ground, pumping off shots from his semi-automatic rifle into the incoming hordes, while you give power to the throttle and blast off. On your way upward, as you're about to clear the atmosphere, two alien intercept craft rapidly approach...

Yeah. That'd rock.